Welcome wargamers, model makers and diorama fans! This is probably the book you’ve all been waiting for – written by the longstanding terrain makers Gerard Boom & Michael Martin. Gerard is well-known for the helpful tools he developed for the Proxxon Thermocut for many years now (see his website Shiftinglands.com). He also was the host of more than 60 XPS foam workshops throughout Europe so far – teaching newbies and pros how to build inspiring tabletop terrain. Michael is known for his weekly YouTube show ’Tabletop Workshop’ (TWS) and his excellent crafting tutorials. He’s also an experienced writer for magazines and the author of more than 15 official strategy guides for video games.
This creative dream team came together some time ago: One of their joint projects was the successful terrain workshop ’ruined city’ (see this german video report). Their favorite material is XPS foam because it’s light, very affordable and easy to handle. And with their doubled experience and enthusiasm they decided: It’s definitely time for the next level of terrain building – now in book form!
Expect techniques, tutorials and tons of tips: ’Tabletop terrain from XPS foam: Buildings’ has the power to be your new and ultimate guide for creating tabletop buildings! The 200-page DIN A4 sized book will be available in English and German language – and will include a variety of exclusive templates as free add-ons which support your own creative terrain projects.
1. Know-how: A focussed introduction with lots of general information on XPS foam. What exactly is XPS foam? Which brands and quality levels are available and how do they differ with regard to the exact outcome? Are there any security instructions? And where can you get the best XPS foam?
2. Basics: How to cut and structure XPS foam? Which results can be obtained by etching and melting? Which kinds of glue work best with XPS foam? Are there any recommended primers? What about special painting techniques? And is sealing really required?
3. Tools: The Proxxon Thermocut is probably THE main tool for terrain builders. And: There are many optional and very helpful tools available developed by Gerard Boom during the past years. This chapter will show you how to work with the Proxxon Thermocut (or any other hot wire cutter) and how to use Gerard’s supporting tools. In addition, we’ll explain many alternative techniques in the book. So you just need the Proxxon Thermocut or similar for following the tutorials of this book, whereas the utilization of all other tools is optional.
4. Techniques: In this chapter you’ll learn how to use the exclusive templates attached to this book (please read more about the templates further on). Complex cutting techniques will be explained as well as layer techniques for building spectacular walls. On top you’ll profit from tons of tested tips and many exercises to improve your skills.
5. Tutorials: The ‚beating heart’ of this book are 15 rich tutorials with clear step-by-step instructions to create stunning buildings: fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, historical, wild west, ancient/ruined and more. Every popular tabletop genre will be honored with at least one building. And: You’ll find tips that work fast and easy to combine and modify each building for putting a maximum of variety and individuality on your own gaming board.
For a quick and easy creation of your buildings this book will include 20 free templates to begin with. These exclusive templates are made out of stable cardboard and can be used fully modularly: Whether timber frame walls, specific roof shingles or the position of doors and windows – these templates will support all your terrain projects massively!
This campaign will start with 20 helpful free templates – and there will be many more to come by unlocking stretch goals! Please keep in mind: All templates are free supplements to the book during this kickstarter campaign only – they will be sold separately as soon as the book hits retail in mid-2020.
This campaign starts with a book of 200 pages including 20 free templates. By funding this project and unlocking several stretch goals lots of pages may be added to the book. Also the amount of templates may raise significantly. And there are other utilities in preparation for free stretch goals: useful MDF components and sunning glass sheets for windows for example (see below).
If this campaign should reach 1.000 backers we'll produce video diaries twice a month until the books are shipped. So you'll be updated with current informations, have interesting behind the scenes views and can take a look at fresh layouts.
And if at least 1.500 backers should join this campaign YOUR NAME will be listed in our book! You can either decide if it's your full name or your kickstarter nickname (and of course you can refrain if you like). All this will be asked in the pledge manager a few weeks after this campaign. Please note: This is an offer to backers of this kickstarter campaign only!
Even if this book presents all of Gerard’s smart tools for the Proxxon Thermocut, every cutting technique will also be explained without using any of these tools. So you will get the whole crafting experience all along with just the book itself. Nevertheless Gerard’s tools give more precision, speed and comfort to your crafting process. Therefore each tutorial will include a list of recommended tools you can already find in Gerard’s Webshop Shiftinglands.com – you can directly order there or meet Gerard at conventions all over Europe or use the pledge manager a few weeks after this campaign’s end. In the pledge manager you can add any of Gerard’s tools and pay the additional amount using PayPal (same prices as on Shiftinglands.com). All tutorials with all tool lists will be posted in updates with regard to this campaign before the pledge manager will be closed. So you’ll have all the information required to make your decision.
Jeremy from Black Magic Craft is working with some of our templates.
Visit and Interview with Gerard at Black Magic Craft.
German video report about the two-day terrain workshop ’ruined city’.
Our early Teaser
The shipping fee will be added automatically to your pledge depending on your country – see the following table below. Shipping is worldwide with DHL including tracking.
Yes, shipping is always the annoying part of any campaign. But to make it clear: The regular DHL fee for shipping from Germany to Australia for example is 47€ (US$ 52), so we took every opportunity to reduce this fee to a minimum of 31€ (US$ 34). But we know: it's still expensive – we're sorry about that but we can't change the fees.
But we can do another thing: free stretch goals! Besides more pages and more templates there are a lot of free MDF components and free colored 'glass sheets' for pimping your buildings … At the end all these free stretch goals should have a retail value of over 30€ (US$ 33).
So if you think 'shipping is to much' maybe just keep an eye on our campaign and check it out before October 13th. Then you exacly see what you'll receive for your pledge and shipping costs. And maybe ask your friends, so you can share the shipping costs.
Regarding the Brexit situation in UK: The shipping fee for UK backers may raise if the UK should leave the European Union, in which case we will send every UK backer an e-mail with our PayPal adress to ensure the payment of the additional fee. We’re sorry for any inconveniences.
Please note as well: Your pledge on Kickstarter covers your reward and shipping fee. The country-specific VAT and other taxes or import fees collected by the local authorities are not included! Perhaps you’ll have to pay these charges to the courier or custom services.
Risks and challenges
Gerard Boom is a Dutch university lecturer in the Netherlands and an enthusiastic model maker for decades. In 2014 he began to develop helpful tools for the Proxxon Thermocut and to offer them on http://Shiftinglands.com and at conventions. He ran over 60 terrain building workshops in many European countries. Pictures of these workshops and Gerard’s personal terrain projects can also be found on http://Shiftinglands.com
Michael Martin is a German video games journalist and the author of more than 15 official strategy guides for video games. In 2015 he was co-founder of the YouTube channel ’Tabletop Workshop’ (TWS), since 2018 he’s running the chanel on his own. Currently there are more than 300 video tutorials, reviews and reports available. Michael is also the designer, developer and producer of the MODULAR DUNGEON, a multifaceted terrain system launched successfully via a Kickstarter campaign in 2017. Three campaigns followed presenting an increasing range of new modules – and all sets were delivered in good time as announced. Michael also runs workshops all over Germany teaching how to build richly detailed tabletop terrain and flexible multilevel dungeons.
One of Gerard’s and Michael’s joint creative projects was the two-day terrain workshop ’ruined city’ last May. Due to it’s huge success this playful event will be continued in November 2019 in Hamburg, Germany.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)