In a world where magic is all but forgotten, the people are on the verge of a revolt against their tyrannical monarchy. A class system divides the poor from the rich, but a spark of magic may tip the scales of society.
Caldyra is an illustrated fantasy adventure story divided over three books. This first book will start in the ancient fortified city of Azmera; a safe haven after which the war on magic has nearly killed the entire human population on the planet. Azmera has been protected by an everlasting shield during the war and keeps its people save from the outside dangers long after the war is over. Now, the shield is clearly shrinking as the border districts slowly get exposed again to open sky. People fear for their safety and the lack of provisions is starting to create a famine.
The story kicks off with four main characters: Ninae the dreamer, Rotgar the bastard prince, Borus the mysterious and ancient prisoner and Rolfan the Rebel. Their narratives will be intertwined as they cross paths and form bonds of friendship and rivalry.
The world of Caldyra is harsh, so it isn't shy of violence, drug abuse, sexual violence, and torture. Much along the lines of IP's such as Game of Thrones and Dragon Age. Where there is profound beauty, there must also be oppressing darkness.
The book itself will have 200 pages that include more than 200 illustrations. Most of them will be Illustrated by the creator herself: Suzanne Helmigh, but there will be many amazing guest artists such as: Titus Lunter, Anna Steinbauer, Simon Fetscher, Anna Verhoog, Sharam Sunstrum, April Prime, Sarah Mason, Alex Heath, Amagoia Agirre, Rachele Ippoliti, Francesca Baearald, Natasja van Gestel Alex Tilica and more!
With this Kickstarter you are pledging for book one of the trilogy.
Risks and challenges
I have researched various printing companies and have three lined up to make sure that if one ends up not following through. The writing in the book is completely finished and the progress of the illustrations is at 75% , of which most of the remaining 25% is already sketched out. All I need now is the time to finish the coloring of those sketches and the books will be ready for print. Before sending the books to you, I will personally do a quality check to make sure you don't get a misprint. In case you somehow do, you'll be welcome to snap a photo to show me and I will gladly send you a new version. I've calculated the costs and risks of this project multiple times and have discussed these with fellow artists who've done Kickstarter projects before me, I am fully secure about my funds.
The plan is to have the books printed in October and shipped to you in November but, in case of sudden death, prolonged serious ailment and the like, there might be a delay. (When I miraculously die, I have a partner who will finish the art and still get the books send to you).
- (30 days)