E-zl is an extremely thin device (fine with wireless chargers) which adds both functionality and hopefully pleasure to life with your mobile phone. It has three main functions:
- It will support your phone (or tablet, kindle etc) at any of three helpful positions to enable you to see new messages, calls, texts, and news events without having to touch your phone . It will also support your phone in landscape mode for when watching content whilst travelling etc.
- It offers a secure and comfortable hand hold, which helps prevent accidental dropping or your phone being snatched from your hand.
- E-zl features integral rails which enable your phone to quickly dock to other products such as desk chargers, car mounts etc and for other devices to quickly mount to your phone. These might include low-profile storage for headphones wires, sound guides etc - what would you like to see on E-zl?
Rather than adding bulk to your phone, at only 7g in weight and 2.6 mm thick E-zl actually makes your phone nicer to hold, and life with your phone is better when you don’t have to keep picking it up.
The handhold finger grip adds reassurance and safety to your valuable phone.
The integral rails open doors to further functionality to come in the near future. If E-zl is a success, tell me which one to start on first!
As an incidental benefit, the aluminium switch and opening mechanism is a pleasant distraction for those who like to fiddle whilst concentrating. Or just fiddling ; )
There are three alternative approaches on offer:
- A gentle adhesive pad which will stick to your phone or to a case or cover. The E-zl can be fairly easily removed without harming either phone or case.
- A more permanent, high grip adhesive for those who want to keep their E-zls on their phone and who might wish the integral rails to mount to such devices as a mountain bike handlebar bracket. Although intended to be permanent, the E-zl can always be removed from your phone by warming it and gently prising easel away from the back.
- A repositionable microsuction pad which allows E-zl to be removed and replaced whenever required. This is more expensive, and does not offer the security of option two.
E-zl has great potential as a promotional gift, with the back plate printed with corporate logos and messages. Please get in touch to discuss prices and availability.
Product Designer, working from home on things I care about. Huge fan of mobile technology and the freedom it has brought us, and particularly focused on how we as real people interact with those technologies to maximise our enjoyment of benefits without being harmed (by such things as text neck, phone dependency etc).
Four years ago I ran a campaign on kickstarter to introduce my design for a tablet stand, which I designed because I couldn't find (and still can't!) a properly stable support which gave me the angles I needed, worked with any case or cover, and was pleasant and convenient to carry everywhere with me. I've now sold over 50,000 - you can see it at myplinth.co.uk.
Married. 3 kids. Dog, cat and 2 hens. Nearly 60. More of my work at johnbulldesign.co.uk.
I am not very good at PR or marketing, and don’t get nearly as much time to keep up with blogs, vlogs, social media or YouTube as I’d like.
If you know of any good channels or reviewers who may be interested in E-zl would you let me know, or go ahead and tell them yourself about this campaign?
Anyone can access my press material here:
If you like the idea of E-zl, it would also make a huge difference if you would tell all of your friends, and perhaps ask them to tell theirs!
Finally, connect with me on social media (search for myplinth), as I am constantly learning new ways to make my business products more useful, interesting, and enjoyable to own.
I would love to hear your ideas, comments or suggestions as to how to make my products better for you. It’s why I am here.
One of my greatest joys resulting from the last crowdfunding journey has been keeping in touch with the many people who supported my first campaign.
It has always been really important to me that those who have invested by buying one of my products remain happy with their purchase. I therefore guarantee all of my products for life.
Here's a tiny flavour of some of the amazing support I have had along the way. Thank you, everyone!
💖 "So glad you are continuing to invent! You are, bar none, the best communicator I have worked with on Kickstarter. Everyone in my (HUGE) family has a Plinth. It was a Plinth Christmas a few years back. :)"
“I have a plinth for my small iPad and was amazed how it coped with the Pro – in portrait & landscape. So the Pro deserved the Special Edition and I love it! I have severe arthritis in my hands & having the Plinth makes using the iPads almost pain free." ❤️
"Aw heck, yeah! Loved the Plinth - still use it for tablets and cookbooks!"
"Hey John, You are an inspiration to most of us, believe me. I had my share of failed startups and I know how frustrating it can be to believe in an idea and failing for whatever reasons. There are only 2 possible outcomes, either you nail it, or you end your live with a portfolio of failed projects and a lot of knowledge along the way. Is that much different from a life working on an office from 9 to 5 on someone else projects? The Plinth is my favourite stand to this day and funny enough I don’t use a tablet anymore, it’s always to keep the cooking books open when cooking! Looking forward to see what you have been working on, finger crossed!"
"It’s brilliant. I use it to read recipes from my iPad and it’s great on train and plane journeys reading my kindle. It’s so light and compact to travel with and it fits neatly in my handbag."
Risks and challenges
As I launch this campaign, E-zl is a fully working prototype. No extensive usage tests have been done, market research or user groups held. I have no idea whether the world wants E-zl! List those under 'risks'.
On the positive side, I know about manufacturing, and now have distribution and fulfilment all set up through the company that looks after Plinth.
Until I get your feedback, I don’t know whether you would prefer permanent, removable, or microsuction adhesive pads, so am initially offering you the ability to choose.
I am hoping to mould E-zl in post-consumer recycled polymers. However, I will be unable to assess the feasibility of this until after the mould tools have been made. I can then conduct aggressive testing before sending you your E-zls as soon as possible.
As a work-from-home father of a young boy, it is certainly a 'challenge' finding enough hours in the day to manage all the activities of my business whilst making enough time to share his precious early years.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)