Written, directed and produced by award winning writer/director, Robin Bain, the controversial subject matter will be handled in a sensitive and thoughtful manner. Nowhereland is an art film that will explore the dark side of humanity.
Drenched in sunlight, the shots are wide and expansive. Nowhereland will visually explore the city of Los Angeles and it’s underbelly. Far away from the perceived glamour of Beverly Hills, we'll capture the darkest and most despairing elements of the city and the journey of our characters in a voyeuristic manner.
NOWHERELAND will be filmed on location in Hollywood, California in the fall of 2014.
Born into the seedy, underground world of prostitution, 15-year-old Shara has known no other life. Her mother is a career escort, who's now looking to Shara to make the kind of money she used to make in her youth. However, Shara’s mother’s plans for her daughter are interrupted when Shara meets and falls for a drug addicted, street hustler, Jamie. Dreams of changing their lives and running off into the sunset together take a harrowing turn for Shara and Jamie as the two learn that escaping their past isn't as easy as it seems.
Nowhereland is a character study. Low concept in it's nature, this film explores the social, cultural and economic plights of ordinary people as they struggle to survive in an unforgiving world.
Because the film's focus is on the emotional journey of it's protagonist, we are able to tell the story in a simple, yet stunning way. Using the city of Los Angeles as a backdrop, we follow our characters documentary style. Spying on them as they live their lives.
In the true spirit of independent filmmaking, Nowhereland will be shot on an ultra low budget with a small, highly talented crew. Nowhereland will be completely self-financed using Robin Bain/ Leslin Films own money (Robin has sold most of her valuables on Ebay, although she kept the cat!) and your generous Kickstarter contribution.
All this being said, every dollar raised on this Kickstarter campaign will go DIRECTLY to the budget of making and delivering this movie. Your dollars will end up on screen and distributed in the following ways...
WELCOME TO NOWHERELAND…
Below are some screen captures from the NOWHERELAND trailer shoot. Shot on location in Venice Beach, West Hollywood and Van Nuys, California in April 2014.
Meet newcomers: Jessica, Harry & Tinslee.
A real world issue:
Sadly, child prostitution and sex trafficking is a very real problem here in the United States and World Wide.
As a topical issue in society today NOWHERELAND confronts the issues and suffering revolving around sex trafficking and underage prostitution. "In portraying this subject matter NOWHERELAND promotes public awareness and discourse anticipating and advocating for societal changes that will make positive differences in the lives of innocent children who suffer daily at the hands of their abusers." Robin Bain.
- Human trafficking generates $9.5 billion yearly in the United States. (http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=22009#.U6cVIqi5bhE)
- Approximately 300,000 children are at risk of being prostituted in the United States. (https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/228631.pdf)
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim in the United States is 12-14 years old. (https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/228631.pdf)
- Fewer than 100 beds are available in the United States for underage victims. (http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/07/HumanTrafficking/ResFac/ib.htm)
- Department Of Justice has identified the top twenty human trafficking jurisdictions in the country:” Houston • El Paso • Los Angeles • Atlanta • Chicago • Charlotte • Miami • Las Vegas • New York • Long Island • New Orleans • Washington, D.C. • Philadelphia • Phoenix • Richmond • San Diego• San Francisco • St Louis • Seattle • Tampa (http://www.johntfloyd.com/comments/november/07a.htm)
- One in three teens on the street will be lured toward prostitution within 48 hours of leaving home. (http://www.seattle.gov/humanservices/domesticviolence/prostitutedyouth/nationalperspective.htm)
Resources for Help:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: http://www.missingkids.com/home
Polaris Project: http://www.polarisproject.org/
NOWHERELAND ON IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3115906/
ROBIN BAIN on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1087375/
NOWHERELAND is 'Project of the Day' on Indiewire:
Interview with writer/director ROBIN BAIN of NOWHERELAND:
NOWHERELAND writer/director ROBIN BAIN is a guest writer on Ms. In The Biz. Bain discusses her journey as a writer and trip into NOWHERELAND:
Join the NOWHERELAND TEAM...
Personalized specially for you with best wishes from the NOWHERELAND CAST.
VIDEO UPDATE: NOWHERELAND star TINSLEE REAGAN touches on real issues that relate to the film.
VIDEO UPDATE: NOWHERELAND stars talk a little bit about the film.
VIDEO UPDATE: Meet NOWHERELAND star JESSICA TAYLOR HAID
VIDEO UPDATE: Meet NOWHERELAND star HARRY HAINS
VIDEO UPDATE: Meet NOWHERELAND Star TINSLEE REAGAN
Join Nowhereland on Social Media:
- At $40,000.00 We're in post production and can utilize every extra dollar on stellar editing and an immaculate sound mix!
- At $50,000.00 We're able to cover the original score and license some great music.
- At $60,000 We're hiring a publicist and producer's representative to get the word out about Nowhereland… We'll make certain that the movie will land on the desks of many high profile executives and top tier film festival representatives.
Innocence lost in NOWHERELAND.
Risks and challenges
Producing an independent feature film is a tremendous challenge and one never knows what might lie ahead.
What we do know is, Robin Bain has put together a team of players who've been in and around the film business for well over 50 years when totaled together. With that amount of dedicated time, many friendships, contacts and ties have been formed within the entertainment business, giving the Nowhereland team a competitive edge in every aspect of producing and delivering this film.
Nowhereland will be told with passion and sincerity and in doing this, it’s our belief that the end result will be a truly special and well-received film.
Thank you for checking out our Kickstarter page and welcome to NOWHERELAND...Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)