About this project
Exégèse is a game as well as a game generator based on interpretation mechanics.
While the cards tell if and how you play together against the game or against each other, use Sketch cards and Inspiration cards to find the game mechanics that suit you best!
Discuss with the other players and find out what the new game will look like this time.
A game for casual and hardcore gamers...How is this even possible? Simply by giving the players the choice where to start. There are 3 playing stages, or rather ways to play Exégèse.If you like games that have few rules and still have deep gameplay, you should start at stage 1.If you love complex games with a lot of things to keep in mind, you can jump to stage 3.The three ways to play Exégèse are called stages for simplicity's sake: they all have their own advantages and reaching stage 3 does not mean having exhausted stage 1.The whole Exégèse experience contains 3 stages, to familiarize the players with the new concepts.
The stage choice should be made according to the wished game experience:
- The first stage, explained in two pages in the free demo, is about creating games by interpreting cards.
- The second stage, explained in two pages in the rules booklet, is about playing the game that contains the game generator!
- The third stage, explained in two pages in the rules booklet, is about revealing your interpretation's limitless power... or so we hope.
- stage 1 is fast paced, playable in less than 20 minutes and very rewarding (you create your own game after all);
- stage 2 is fast paced, may be played in 1 hour or more, and is as rewarding as stage 1;
- stage 3 might be slower paced than stage 1 and last more than stage 2 (this highly depends on the players), and is probably the most rewarding experience Exégèse can offer.
Gameplay overviewThe free demo merely reveals Exégèse's functionning core: the process of creating games by interpreting Sketch cards and Inspiration cards.The complete version of Exégèse is actually more than a near-inexhaustible game generator...IT IS A GAME! It is a game that, in the playing process, leads you to create other games, which you can play independently from Exégèse afterwards if you wish.First the game lets you choose among the many team modes:
- all players together against the game;
- teams against each other;
- all players on their own against each other;
- all of the possibilities in between (i.e. one player against a team, all players on their own and against the game, etc.);
- random (the game choses for you).
Then you get to choose the game's objective, again among quite a few possibilities:
- time oriented game;
- creative game;
- victory point collecting;
Lastly, the game creation contained in the demo comes in! Every turn of Exégèse actually is about creating and playing a new game or changing the rules of last turn's game!
As shown in the free demo, you are guided through game design in four steps:
- Brainstorming, the players find their own game’s setting and rules;
- Reticulating ideas, they find ways to improve and combine the various rules, so that they form a coherent game with a definite goal and means to achieve it;
- Putting to the test, gradual improvement of the game through playing;
- Game improvement, spicing up the already functionnal game.
Please note that this is a demo version and that the rules are likely to change. They still have to be fine-tuned during the Kickstarter campaign in order to take reviews and suggestions into account.
How to play videos
Let’s play Exégèse is a series designed to show the wide possibilities held in our cards.
In this video we use Exégèse to create a game centered on combining symbols.
In this video we use Exégèse to create a game centered on speed and dexterity.
In this video we use Exégèse to create a game centered on focus and dexterity.
Why do we launch a Kickstarter campaign?
- in order to support some of the game design related investments such as time spent on its completion and fine tuning, but mainly printing and shipping of the game material;
- in order to ensure that there are enough people out there interested in the game for us to have a reason to bring the project to completion;
- in order to determine if a further commercial release of the game is to be expected.
How will we proceed?
We will work with one or two game manufacturing companies, according to the number of pledges, to produce the game material.
What has already been done
- Game mechanics: 90%
- Artwork: 90%
- Proof reading: 60%
- Translation: 60%
We will regularly let you know how the project progresses and what remains to be done.
- € 5500, all pledgers will receive a PDF version of the Inspiration cards with Rorschach-like inkblots as central feature. Interpretation pushed to its limits!
- € 6000, all printed versions of the game will have a higher quality!
Risks and challenges
This is our first Kickstarter campaign, but not our first game project. We have already brought two game projects to completion:
Over the last 3 years, we have been working on and playtesting this game. It is almost finished but, even during the Kickstarter campaign, we will continue testing on game conventions, with game designer associations, at local gaming events, in order to ensure the best gameplay experience possible.
We also have planned the logistics concerning deliveries and will be able to deliver packages worldwide.
The game is exclusively composed of cards and our partners have handed us all the necessary quotes. Thus the risk level for delays is quite low. Should any difficulty arise, we will keep you informed.
We have created a game according to our vision of gaming, dedicating almost 3 years of work to it. It is a work of passion and we will do our very best to bring this project to completion.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)