About this project
The Purpose of This Film
1. To explore the paradox in this country regarding dogs. We spend billions of dollars on them while at the same time, we euthanize millions of them each year.
2. To change the perception that many have of dogs as property that can be disposed of. Dogs, like all living beings, feel fear, loneliness, and heartbreak.
3. To highlight all of the amazing dogs that are euthanized every year in this country, and the misconception that rescue dogs are inferior to purebred dogs that are purchased.
4. To show that all dogs, regardless of age, looks, or health are still worthy of love, care and respect.
5. To show that dogs and specific breeds suffer at the hands of fads encouraged by popular culture.
6. To make the philosophical case that kindness towards dogs will evolve into kindness to all living beings.
7. To show that rescuing a dog is a great way to teach a child that all living beings have a spiritual value, regardless of physical appearance or age.
8. To show that that purebred dogs need rescuing too, and that 25% of dogs that are euthanized are purebred.
9. To change the percentage of people who rescue versus those who buy a dog. Right now, 75% of dogs that are acquired each year are purchased, while 25% come from rescue. We would like to reverse those percentages.
10.To show human's capability to be evil.
11.To show human's capability to be kind, and to use love and compassion to make amends to dogs that have suffered terribly.
12.To show that sometimes the dogs are rescued by humans, and sometimes, it is the humans that end up getting rescued by the dog.
We would like to provide a copy of the completed film, Guarding Dogs, to different schools, groups, and institutions free of charge. In addition, we are also developing bilingual lesson plans for different age groups. We want to change the way dogs are treated now, in today's world, but we recognize the most powerful legacy of this film comes from how we frame this issue to children.
Structure and Narrative of the Film
This documentary will make the philosophical case for why it is important to be kind and compassionate towards dogs. We will make the audience re-evaluate how they treat dogs and all animals. Although this will be an emotional journey for the audience, we will not resort to showing anything overly graphic. This is not a public service announcement for an animal rights group. Often times, graphic PSA's are preaching to the choir. It is our intention to reach a much wider audience. Guarding Dogs will have high production values, a thoughtful narrative arc, and will communicate the often tragic plight of dogs through strong writing, original music, and creative cinematography. We understand these challenges, and embrace them.
This film will be divided into 3 parts:
- The puppy mill system
- The rescue community and the never ending task of re-homing dogs
- Senior and special needs dogs
We will take a comprehensive look at each of these issues, and also the eccentric and selfless rescue people who sacrifice so much and save as many as they can.
What the Money is Going Toward
The euthanasia of healthy dogs is a national issue. We need the money to travel to every region in the United States and show that this is in fact a national problem.
Other major expenses:
- Professional crew
- Travel expenses
- Post production
- Web site development
Are overall budget is $350,000.00. It is important to fund this entire project with as many small donors as possible, in order to maintain complete editorial control of this project.
Time is of the essence with this. In order to avoid production delays and give us a voice in this issue, it is important give as much as you can, as soon as you can. Thank you!
Support this project
- (30 days)