The Bicycle Wrap Skirt is FUNDED!!
That means we're going to production this summer!! Thanks to all who have helped us get this far - we are so excited! But we aren't through yet!
Our funding goal reflects the costs of placing a minimum first order at an employee-owned sew shop in the US. Now that we're funded and going to production, we are adding an extra natural dye option in a charcoal gray to choose from, and creating two new sizes: a plus size and a girl's size. We hope to have these finished before we go to production!
Since we reached our funding goal in one week, we've set a new stretch goal of $19,500. Should we meet this new goal, we'll be able to begin work immediately on expanding the Bicycle Wrap Skirt into three new styles:
- a US grown cotton jersey skirt
- a heavier cool weather skirt
- and a bicycle-friendly dress
So please, keep sharing our story with your friends, and thanks to all of you who are making this happen!
My name is Lara Neece, and I am the founder and designer behind Forest and Fin, a company with a mission to help people spend more time outside. I created the Bicycle Wrap Skirt out of my desire to have a skirt that I could wear every day regardless of what activities I had in store. Whether I was going to a work meeting or to the park, I wanted one outfit to wear all day, so I wouldn't have to change clothes in between.
I've been biking in skirts for years and have been on the lookout for the perfect riding skirt, because biking in a skirt can be a tricky ordeal. A skirt that's too short rides up; a skirt that's too long gets caught in the chain. One day last year over lunch with my husband, I told him my idea of adding a skirt to the Forest & Fin product line. As we began discussing skirt styles, I suddenly found myself reminiscing about biking to work in some of my old skirts. Why don't you make your new skirt bike-friendly? He asked casually. Hmm. Well, why not?
The Bicycle Wrap Skirt is a bike-friendly skirt with hidden fasteners underneath the bottom hem to prevent fly-up while riding, pockets to secure valuables, and removable straps to keep the skirt out of the tires. It’s designed to be versatile, functional, and durable - to get a woman through a whole day regardless of her transportation or activity. Unlike other bike skirts that are made of polyester or spandex, the Bicycle Wrap Skirt is made with soft sustainable materials right here in the USA.
- The fabric is a linen/cotton blend (machine washable)
- Available in two lengths, short and tall (2 inches difference)
- The short measures 19 inches from the bottom of the waistband to the hem, and the long measures 21 inches from the bottom of the waistband to the hem.
- The waistband is 3.5" tall on both skirts and is designed to be worn above the hips.
- Wrap skirt style with adjustable waistband
- Fits sizes 0-14. It's been fit tested on waists measuring 23 - 37 inches.
- High waisted design to flatter most sizes and body shapes
- Three color options: natural, hand-dyed dip-dye indigo blue, and hand-dyed solid indigo blue
- Built-in hidden fastening system under bottom hem so you won't have to worry about skirt fly-up or remembering to bring a clip or safety pin
- Deep built-in pocket on the hip for your keys
- Removable fabric hip pouch with button closure that slides on and off the waistband for a phone or small wallet so you don't have to carry a purse
- Two removable external straps to prevent the skirt from blowing backwards into the rear bike tire (not necessary for all riders - depends on the distance between bike seat and back tire). Bonus! These can also be used on other skirts!!
- And for those of you still wondering, it is all skirt. No - it's NOT a skort!
After the Bicycle Wrap Skirt goes to production, we plan to create a whole line of skirts, dresses, and functional clothing, including girl's and plus sizes and new styles.
Each skirt will come with a matching set of two linen/cotton straps with clips to secure the sides of the skirt and prevent it from blowing back into the bike tire or blowing up on the sides in a cross breeze. They are not necessary for all riders - it depends on the distance between bike seat and back tire - so you can ride with or without them. Since these straps are removable, they can be stored in the hip pouch, clipped on the waistband, or kept on a keychain with a bike lock key.
AND we've happily discovered that they can be used on other skirts as well!
We've added a leather Skirt Secure option, which we are offering in packs of three or in combination with our other rewards. We've chosen leather for it's durability and are sourcing it from a reputable and responsible leather company. The straps are easy to use and stylish enough to leave on when you're not biking - around town on a windy day, between errands, or if you are getting on-and-off your bike in a hurry.
The Bicycle Wrap Skirt is designed to be versatile enough to wear to the office or to the park and everywhere in between, so you can hop on your bike and go without needing a change of clothes. But it's not just for cyclists. Because the functionality is hidden from view, the Bicycle Wrap Skirt looks like a normal skirt (with pockets!).
After we sketched out the initial design concept, we set up a survey to see how ladies would wear the skirt. The answers ranged from commuting to work, getting around campus, sailing, horseback riding, hiking, to wrangling toddlers! It works on a windy day, as a yoga or beach cover, and also as a nice outfit for meeting friends or going to church.
DURABILITY | SUSTAINABILITY
We know this skirt is going places. Literally, and probably on a bike. :) It needs to withstand the wear and tear of an active lifestyle and last for years. The design is a classic high-waisted style for all shapes and sizes. Because it's a linen-cotton blend, you have the durability and breathability of linen with the softness of cotton. Modest and fun at the same time, it's easy to pair with any of the shirts or shoes that women already have in their closets; and we are using a high quality fabric and materials with longevity.
Much time and planning has gone into the materials and design of the skirt. Below is a list of our design and sourcing priorities:
- Durable materials
- Biodegradable materials
- Sourced from responsible manufacturers
- Natural or fiber reactive dyes
- Regionally sewn in the USA
- Fewer sizes to minimize exchanges and inventory
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Lower carbon footprint
Best of all, the Bicycle Wrap Skirt allows women to bike more frequently, reducing carbon emissions and closing the gender gap in biking. That's right guys, it will be easier than ever to convince your lady friends to bike to dinner!
We are limiting some of our reward quantities to ensure that we are able to deliver a high quality product in a timely manner. This is better for us and better for you. However, it also means, if you want to reserve a hand-dyed skirt or leather backpack, the sooner the better!
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
Last year, we completed a six-month sustainable product development program, streamlining our design, setting up a supply chain, and preparing for our launch. We have patterns, completed samples, a product that works, and a sew shop here in the USA lined up for our production, but we need a minimum of $10,500 to be able to pay for the fabrics, materials, and labor for the first production run.
If we are fully funded, we will be able to place an order for the first production run of at least 250 skirts. This is the minimum order that we can place. But we have so much more to offer.
Because ultimately we want to turn the Bicycle Wrap Skirt into a whole line of functional skirts and dresses to help women and girls spend more time outside, any funding we raise that is greater than $10,500 will be put directly towards the following tasks:
- Offering more colors!
- Expanding our size options to include a girl’s size and a plus size.
- Creating an organic cotton version of the Bicycle Wrap Skirt from US grown cotton.
- Designing a heavier bicycle skirt for the fall in a warmer fabric.
- Designing a bicycle-friendly dress.
If you help us reach $10,500, we’ll immediately add another dye option reward to our project.
HELP BY SHARING OUR PROJECT
We appreciate all kinds of support and the easiest way you can help us reach our goal is to share our project. Think of how many people we could reach if everyone shared this project with 3 friends. We've even got some information ready to go, just click to tweet below or copy and share.
- Click here to tweet: Ladies, it's official! A new bike-friendly skirt is on the streets - almost. The Bicycle Wrap Skirt @kickstarter : http://ctt.ec/Ld6fX+
- Click here to tweet: Hidden fasteners + pockets make biking a breeze with the Bicycle Wrap Skirt! On @kickstarter now! #bikefashion #bike http://ctt.ec/U95cs+
- Ladies, it's official - there is a new bike-friendly skirt on the streets. Well, almost. Check out the Bicycle Wrap Skirt project on Kickstarter! And no it's not a skort! http://kck.st/1IXVCd7
- Check out the new bicycle-friendly skirt by @ForestandFin on @kickstarter now! It's made with sustainable materials in the USA. http://kck.st/1IXVCd7
- With hidden fasteners to prevent fly-up, pockets to secure valuables, and removable straps to keep it out of the rear tire, the Bicycle Wrap Skirt by @forestandfin makes biking in a skirt a breeze! Check it out on Kickstarter now. http://kck.st/1IXVCd7
May 25th - June 25th - Kickstarter
June 25th - Aug 15th - Production
August 15th - Sept 15th - Shipment of orders
SPECIAL THANKS TO THESE FOLKS
- Shannon Whitehead: For her guidance, expertise, answering my questions, and keeping me on schedule (mostly).
- Katie J Mattern: For her patience and help with the first prototypes of the Bicycle Wrap Skirt, design of the hip pouches and other BWS accessories, and endless brainstorming sessions about everything.
- Stitch Savannah: For patternmaking and creating our first two samples.
- Gianina Gabrial: For making most of our sample skirts and great brainstorming sessions about the fastening system.
- Lauren Winter: For teaching me about indigo dye, being one of our fit models, and consultations about natural dyes, sizing, and the fastening system.
- Shelby Massey: For styling the skirt photoshoot, the OneSpark booth, and great advice.
- Jessie Duthu: For all the great conversations and brainstorming on business development and growth.
- Kelly Roetto: For her fabulous photography and for being one of our fit models.
- Skip Terpstra: For his professional videography work and film editing.
- Martha Jane and Evan: For flying into town to help me with my photoshoot and video script, and brainstorming with me during their vacation.
- My husband: For listening, encouraging, helping me in a pinch, and then telling me when to put work away and play.
- And all of the beautiful models and ladies who styled and hung out with us at the park for the photoshoot.
We could not have done this without you!
ABOUT THE CREATOR
Inspired by the environment and three-and-a-half years living on a small sailboat, Lara Neece spent the last of her savings on screen-printing equipment, set up a print studio, and created her company Forest and Fin in 2011. An award-winning artist and self-taught graphic designer, she designed and printed her first nature-inspired screen-printed apparel by hand using water-based inks and a manual press. When she's not in her studio or behind a sketchbook or easel, she likes to spend time outdoors experiencing the world and gathering inspiration for new work.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Risks and challenges
We've done all the research and product development prior to launching to ensure a timely delivery, but production takes time, and there are a number of variables that could affect our delivery dates. We promise to do everything in our power to honor our estimated delivery dates and deliver a top notch product to you, but please understand that dates could be altered by unforeseen circumstances. If this should happen, you will be updated about it immediately, and we will keep you updated on our progress throughout the production process. Thanks for joining us on this journey!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)