About this project
#Update - 30/Apr/2014
Our CNC milled lift enclosure arrived today.
lift - The easy way to open your garage door.
I’ve Been Using lift, it works!
I built the lift prototype 3 months ago and it has been working flawlessly ever since. It is ridiculously easy to set-up and I think you’ll really be surprised by how this app actually makes life easier. Here is a video that actually shows my initial prototype working at home.
The Story Behind lift
My name is John, I am a software developer. Last year my garage door opener’s remote control was broken, and it was a pain that we have to share only one remote control. Suddenly an idea came up "Wouldn't it be so cool and so convenient if we can open the garage door with our iPhone"? We can use the same app to open the garage door, we don't need to carry an extra remote control and make our key chain lighter.
So I use a Bluetooth 4 breakout, a relay breakout in my hands and then wrote the firmware and iPhone app. Today the prototype still working brilliantly in my garage.
Here is a photo of the working lift module I've hand soldered personally.
How lift works
After installing lift hardware in your garage, download the lift app from App Store then follow the 3 steps below to start using the app:
1. Firstly register your account
2. After register/login when a lift beacon available, add/link the beacon to your account
3. Now you can open/close your garage door with your iPhone
- BLE112 from Bluegiga
- 5VDC relay
- May: Kickstarter concluded.
- June-July: Tweak and improve iOS app functionalities.
- August-Octorber: Android application development.
- On-going: Backend development and enclosure design.
- May: Kickstarter concluded.
- June-July: PCB fabrication and acquire parts.
- August-Octorber: Manufacturing and assembly.
- September: Start shipping
In addition to lowering the per-unit cost by enlarging the scale of hardware manufacturing, the funds will allow us to devote more time allocate more resources to building up good software and services for the hardware. They are:
- Improve functionality to the iOS app.
- Develop an app for Android, similar to the application that I have developed for the iOS.
- Complete the backend development that I have already begun.
- A cloud-based service for storing and retrieving lift beacon information.
So, there is still plenty of work to be done and that's why I am here.
Finally thanks for your support!
Risks and challenges
Supply Chain Management
Reliable supply chain management is critical to the success of just about any project—including lift. The circuit board and components in lift are sourced from multiple locations i.e. US, China. With your support, we’re confident we can build a world-class network of suppliers and make lift a reality and a great success!
A good smartphone App is our goal and is so important that it will significantly improves the usability of the hardware. I have learned a lot from the initial prototypes, and putting every effort into making lift a foolproof device that you'll use—and love—every day.
Support this project
- (45 days)