About this project
League of Ancient Defenders (LOAD) is a two-team 2-6 player skirmish board game with stunning miniatures and intense gameplay modeled after popular battle arena online games. The vile forces of Chaos have invaded the island kingdom of Atlantis, humanity’s last hope. Players must leverage the unique abilities of their Heroes as they push three lanes simultaneously toward the opposing faction’s base. By destroying key enemy objectives, towers and spawn points, they will force the opposing team to abandon the battle in full retreat.
RE-LOAD will be available in English, German, Spanish and French. Selection will be possible when the Pledge Manager goes live after the Kickstarter.
Pledge levels shown here are meant for new backers of RE-LOAD. Backers from previous LOAD campaign will find one of the UPGRADE pledges better suited for them as they already own base game and 3 of the expansions.
Shipping will be charged via our Pledge Manager system after the Kickstarter campaign ends based on the actual costs incurred to ship. After successfully delivering LOAD in record time, we know what to expect when it comes to shipping and we are prepared to do it again.
Below is a list of rough estimates for shipping. These are just estimates, and costs may rise based on weight increases from unlocked stretch goals and optional buys you choose.
By default, games will be shipped after everything is produced. However, as base games will be produced first, while Pledge Manager is live, you will be able to choose to have base game sent to you as soon as it is produced and have the rest shipped later. This separate shipping will have to be paid by you via Pledge Manager.
If you are interested to see how LOAD is player, here is game play video made by Beasts of War:
Ninja Division Publishing did an unboxing of base game of LOAD, you can check it here:
While going through YouTube we came across LOAD unboxing video made by one of our backers! We are happy to show it here as it showcases original pleasure of a happy backer:
In a 1vs1 game, both factions recruit five Heroes, choosing one Hero from each of the five distinctive roles: Strikers, Guardians, Mages, Archers, and Assassins. That leaves each player with 5 Heroes. If the game is played with more than two players, one additional mage is recruited per faction, thus each team will field a total of six Heroes. The roles provide a general idea of what a Hero may excel at. However, each Hero is unique, with their own signature weapon and unique set of skills they can use to prevail in combat!
Each role represents a different archetype a Hero may fall under. The five roles are:
- Strikers: At home on the frontlines, what Strikers lack in durability, they more than make up for in raw damage.
- Guardians: Heroes with the potential to be very difficult to be slain by the enemy. They often have skills that weaken enemies as well as mitigate or completely avoid incoming damage.
- Mages: Fragile but versatile, mages typically have low damage output compensated by uniquely effective skills. Mages are generally the least dependent on items and can therefore spend their gold to benefit the entire team.
- Archers: Ranged combat specialists, archers excel at striking at enemies from afar while staying safely out of reach of opposing creeps.
- Assassins: Cunning and deadly, assassins are experts at striking at enemy Heroes while possessing enough survivability to live to tell the tale.
Although every Hero is categorized by one specific role, each Hero is unique. Two Heroes of the same role can offer drastically different gameplay experiences. To represent those differences, each Hero is identified by how well they perform in the fields of Offense, Defense and Utility.
- CHARACTER CARDS
Each Hero has a corresponding card providing detailed information about the Hero, such as their skills, signature weapon, and an empty slot that can be filled with certain item types.
Each faction spawns Lane Creeps that mindlessly charge toward the opposing base to assault enemy objectives. These minions’ behavior is set by predetermined rules, allowing only limited control by the player. Creeps are constantly replenished at Spawn Points located in each faction’s base, so it is up to the player-controlled Heroes to help their army overwhelm the enemy and achieve victory.
- ITEM CARDS
Once a Hero has accumulated enough gold, they may purchase an item to place on the empty slot on their Hero Card. Once an item is purchased and equipped, it is immediately available for use by the Hero. Regardless of the type of item, they can only be activated once per round unless otherwise noted on the card.
- FOREST CARDS
The forests of Atlantis are untamed wildernesses home to a host of dangerous creatures. When a Hero steps on a Forest field, they must draw a card from the Forest Deck. The deck, like the Forest, is full of both reward and peril. If a Forest Creep is drawn, it gets first strike against the Hero. Slaying a Forest Creep awards the amount of gold indicated on the card.
- PRINT AND PLAY
LOAD is a visually stunning game, but we’ve taken great care to ensure it plays as well as it looks. We’re confident you will come back to the game time after time, not just for its detailed miniatures and compelling artwork, but because the game is genuinely fun. Feel free to check out the WIP print and play files to try out the game for yourself.
- We are now 100% in control of our board game manufacturing process, including 2D concepts and art, 3D designs and all printed elements.
- Every single component is made in Europe, avoiding possible delays caused by China shipping or New Year holidays.
- We are using carton for cardboard elements supplied by a Germany-based supplier to guarantee the quality of the final product.
- The graphics for our cardboard materials are provided by a local printing company that is 500 meters away from our manufacturing and assembly plant.
- Archon Studio miniatures are made from a specially produced non-PVC-based material.
- The process is called Unicast and it’s exclusive to Archon Studio products.
- Our current formulation of the manufacturing material (aR MK3) is able to hold an amazing amount of detail while at the same time providing the durability needed for regular play.
- Each miniature is produced as a single piece, thus no need for assembly. You will be ready to play straight from the box!
- We are constantly improving the formulation of our production material to make sure our products meet the strict United Europe regulations and surpass customer expectations. We are happy to announce that products manufactured by Archon Studio pass all safety tests and our products are now marked with the CE logo "Conformité Européene".
In its short lifetime, Archon has helped 12 Kickstarter projects come to life by providing manufacturing and other services and products to companies.
We decided to make a name for ourselves as a creator of games not just components, so we designed, produced, and delivered League of Ancient Defenders (LOAD) as a solo project and wish to continue that work with the release of VoW and reprint of LOAD.
• Money-Back Guarantee
We are so confident you will enjoy RE-LOAD, we’re offering a full refund if you are not completely satisfied with the game. If you decide you do not like the game within 14 days after the Kickstarter campaign is over, we will refund 100% of your money. If more than 14 days have passed (but before shipment), we will refund the amount you pledged minus Kickstarter and payment process fees. After a pledge has been shipped to you, you will have the right to return the product to us for a refund within 14 days of receiving it, if you are not happy with the final product.
• Delivery Deadlines Will Be Met
We set extremely optimistic delivery dates for our previous campaign and still managed to pull them off. The final packages for the English version of LOAD are being shipped to backers now and we already shipped all of the base games ahead of schedule! We know how much time it will take for each part of the process until the game is delivered to you and we’ve established a realistic delivery plan we will meet!
• Archon Loyalty Program
If you back RE-LOAD now, you will be become a member of our Loyalty Program. As an Archon Loyalty Program member, if you also back our next Kickstarter, you will receive a guaranteed bonus miniature absolutely free! Those who backed LOAD and Vanguard of War, can expect bonus rewards as returning backers.
Risks and challenges
There are two major challenges when it comes to fulfilling our obligation to backers. The first is miniature production and the other is shipping.
We have a team of amazing artists who can draw and sculpt any character we can come up with and we own a unique miniature production process called Unicast, which allows us to create miniatures with unparalleled detail. You can see the production models made in Unicast for LOAD here: www.loadboardgame.com.
With LOAD delivery, we proved that we are able to deliver on time and we will do our best to do even better job with RE-LOAD!
Support this project
- (14 days)