First Edition Beanies - Fall 2012
- 70% alpaca / 30% wool
- Fiber from two farms in Addison County, Vermont
- A little bit of wool from Sally Mae (see her below)
- All natural color - no acid, dye or bleach
- Yarn spun, beanies hand made in New England
- Edition is limited to 400 beanies total
- Your choice of style(s) and shipping address confirmed via email
If you make a pledge for a beanie, we'll contact you via email to confirm the style and your shipping address.
The N.E.Surf Beanie - First Edition is Inspired by New England surfers who cross snow covered beaches to go surfing in ice water. It's for everyone who cherishes warmth and the spirit of raw New England.
This is our first step in building N.E.Surf™ as a premium American brand for people who spend their best time outdoors.
November 9, 1620 marked the beginning of New England when the Mayflower sighted land off Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod National Seashore. See what Coast Guard Beach looks like right now by clicking on the image below (live cam image updated every 30 seconds):
Partners in this Project:
- Shawn Vecchione - One of the leading surfer/shapers in New England. Owns Vec Surfboards in Orleans.
- Olaf Valli aka "the Smart Dude" - Owns SickDay surf shop in Wellfleet.
- Liz Choiniere - Founder of the Vermont Fiber Factory.
- Jodee Hartman - Designer at the Vermont Fiber factory.
- Asa Nadeau- Web designer, artist and Cape Cod surfer.
- Chad Borke - Graphic designer and Rhode Island surfer.
- And Brad and Bill and Bill and Joel and John and Ginger...
Future Editions will be sourced from farms all across New England. Colors will vary according to the fiber sources. Prices will reflect fiber costs. For each edition we'll be seeking to make between 100-500 beanies. Buyers will know the areas where the farms are located, the types of animals who supplied the fiber and, whenever possible, the name of at least one of them.
Use of Funds
Our minimal goal is to raise $4000 to make at least 100 1st edition beanies. If we don't meet that goal all pledges are refunded, this project doesn't happen, no awards are sent out and I'll need to surf every day for at least 3 months to get past the disappointment.
The funds raised beyond $4000, up to $16000, will be used to make more beanies. This will deplete all of the first edition fiber that's available. If you make a pledge for a Vec longboard or to have a cone winder named after you at the factory, those funds will be used to make a longboard and buy a cone winder. The cone winder will enable the factory make more yarn at lower cost - this will help keep prices down in the future and we'll be able to supply more beanies more quickly (It's worth noting that we got an exceptionally good deal on this first edition fiber and the awards prices reflect that).
Any funds beyond $16000 will be used to find new sources for fiber, create new beanie designs, help the factory and improve our website to better serve our growing community of N.E.Surf beanie owners.
Risks and challenges
The most modern of the technologies used to create these beanies are electric versions of machines used in the early days of the Industrial Revolution. The oldest technologies are genuinely biblical. The fiber for this first edition has been reserved and is waiting at the factory to be spun. Possible problems are delays from problems with things outside our control:
- US Postal Service
- "Acts of God" damaging the fiber and/or spinning machines
I've been sourcing and manufacturing mechanical and electric products from US and International suppliers for 25 years. The N.E.Surf beanie is the simplest thing I've ever sourced.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (16 days)