About this project
Knock-Knock... It's Trick Or Tarot!
It isn’t the first Halloween-themed Tarot deck, and it won’t be the last; but my hope is that it will become the best, most-loved and most-used. Halloween is my favorite holiday and one that is perfectly suited to the Tarot. After all,
“At twelve o’clock on Halloween / Many strange things can be seen” — (Vintage greeting card verse)
More Than Just a Novelty Deck
Each one of my award-winning tarot and oracle packs has its origin in the fabulous and fanciful, but under the hood they are thoughtfully and carefully crafted with an eye towards the traditional themes and symbols of Tarot. Far from being merely a "gimmick" deck, TRICK or TAROT is designed as a working pack aimed at practitioner and novice alike.
In order to achieve the quality that I want, at a price point that most tarot users and collectors can afford, I need to sell enough pre-orders of the deck to pay for its production, and once again I have turned to Kickstarter to accomplish that. By using Kickstarter to solicit pre-orders, nobody gets charged if the goal isn't met, and nobody is at risk. It's a way of keeping everything simple, structured and clearly above-board.
Choose From Regular or Super-Spooky Size
Trick Or Tarot will be produced in two quality editions by the Shenzhen Wangjing Printing Company, Ltd., the same company that printed Prisma Visions Tarot and other decks known to most of you:
- The Popular Edition: Almost-standard size 2.89” x 4.75” cards (slightly wider than normal), printed on 330 gsm German black core paper, (smooth finish), packaged in a simple tuck box with a 12-page LWB including card meanings and spreads.
- The Limited, Large-Size Special Edition: Large-sized 3.5” x 5.75” cards, printed on 350 gsm high quality art paper (smooth finish), with black foil edging. Packaged in a sturdy two-piece box, with a 12 page LWB including card meanings and spreads. ONLY 500 COPIES OF THIS EDITION WILL EVER BE PRINTED.
Although it is likely that at least some of the designs will be revised and refined between now and the time they go to the printer, all of the cards have at least a basic design in place right now. You can see them all at http://halloweentarot.tarotbyducksoup.com. Click on the smaller images to enlarge. Plus, you can browse many more of my decks and past projects, and download my complete, free Spring 2017 Catalogue of Tarot and Oracle decks at www.tarotbyducksoup.com.
Who Am I?
Three years ago I successfully funded my first tarot deck, Tarot of the Zirkus Mägi. Since then I have created several other popular Tarot, Oracle and Lenormand packs, and published them using print-on-demand technology through my website, www.tarotbyducksoup.com. "Print-on-demand" produces a quality product, but it's expensive. The number of people I can reach with my designs is severely limited by the prices I'm forced to charge.
I want to change all that with my next deck, which is built on a theme that is near and dear to my heart. It’s time to produce a deck in the kind of quantities that will allow me to offer the same quality and price points as the commercial decks you see in bookstores. And that’s where this Kickstarter Project comes in. The money raised here will cover the printing & shipping expenses of the TWO decks, plus Kickstarter and Amazon fees. I can't do this without your pre-order support. Thank you in advance!
Now Introducing: THE STRETCH GOAL.
It is quite possibly unrealistically ambitious, but what the heck, right? You have all pretty much astonished me so far!
So here it is: if we can get this campaign up to 19,000, it would enable me to publish another, additional one of my tarot decks in a lovely, affordable new edition — and —> YOU <— would get to decide which of my decks gets chosen for the treatment.
YOU are the ones making it possible — so YOU will get to make the call. All confirmed backers would be able to vote on which of the four above decks gets the “next level” treatment, and the resulting deck would be made available as a $23 add-on.
More on this as we get closer....
... And watch the space below for the first of the add-on announcements, coming soon!
7.17: Adding the Add-Ons!
ADD-ON INSTRUCTIONS: To add an add-on to your pledge, follow these steps:
- Press the “Manage Your Pledge” button above. If you have not pledged yet, it will say “Back This Project.”
- Increase your pledge in the “Pledge Amount” box by the total of the Add-ons you want to add.
- Do not change the tier you are currently pledged at, unless you also want to change it while you are on this screen. You will then need to add the total of your add-ons onto the amount of the new tier you chose.
- After the end of the Kickstarter campaign you will receive a survey that will allow you to tell me how the add-on money will be assigned.
NOTE: All add-ons require a base pledge to be at the $25 tier and above.
SHIPPING: is included for backers in the U.S.A. Additional worldwide shipping as specified for each level.
- The LWB PDF Edition (+$3.00) Delivered August 2015
- The BOGIE BOOK PDF Edition (+$8.00) • Delivered Fall 2015
- Extra Copy of the Standard Edition (+$25.00) Delivered Fall 2017. Add $10 for international shipping.
- Extra Copy of the Jumbo Limited Edition (+$50.00) Delivered Fall 2017. Add $10 for international shipping.
- The BOGIE BOOK Paperback Book (+$18.00) Delivered Fall 2017. Add $5 for international shipping.
- FIRST EDITION ZIRKUS MÄGI Limited Edition MAJOR ARCANA deck (+$35.00). Delivered Fall 2017. Only Available at this price through this campaign. Add $10 for international shipping. LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER.
- FIRST EDITION ZIRKUS MÄGI Limited Edition FULL 78-CARD deck (+$80.00). Delivered Fall 2017. Only Available at this price through this campaign. Add $10 for international shipping. Supplies are seriously short. LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER to a maximum of 15 copies.
- “HIGH PRIESTESS” Trick or Tarot Black Unisex Tee-Shirt (+$45.00). Delivered Fall 2017. Specify S-M-L-XL-2XL-3XL. Add $5 for international shipping.
Risks and challenges
I've done this a time or two before. Once the project is funded, the risks are negligible. Barring a few revisions, the card designs are all done and ready to go.
The big difference is that this time I will be working with a new (for me) printer, and having to deal with shipping the finished decks overseas to the USA before I can finally send out the rewards. But even though this aspect of it is new to me, these things are done all the time, and I'm working with people who know what they are doing. The wheel is not being reinvented. Although the delivery time may be a bit longer than my two other Tarot projects in the past, my printer has proven itself to be reputable and reliable and I'm pretty well certain that working together we can pull this off!
As soon as the money is in hand, I will give them the green light, and It Will Be Done. The whole process will be documented beginning to end through Updates here. Getting all the "rewards" assembled and shipped out can be fussy and time-consuming, but If this project is funded, it will be completed and delivered in as timely a fashion as possible by myself (not using any third-party fulfillment services) -- and I have plenty of happy supporters from my two previous projects to vouch for that!
After all, I'm just like you: a lover of books, tarot decks and movies who starts to ask "Where's my stuff?" the second that I plunk down my shekels. I feel your pain. I also can't stand having things hanging over my head: I'm going to want to get this thing done just as much as you want it done!
Just ask and I will post answers in the FAQ attached to this campaign, link below!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)