Latest Updates from Scandock Team
Meet Scandock, the best way to scan without a PC.
Scandock turns your smartphone into a professional-grade scanner.
For those who scan at work, want professional quality output, and hate flatbeds, SCANDOCK IS THE ONLY PRODUCT AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE POINT.
1. Scandock Is Not Competing With Mobile Apps.
Mobile apps are great for on-the-go scanning. We love them. Scandock is for office use, not for on-the-go scanning. We never intend it to be pocketable.
2. No One Likes Conventional Scanners or Multi-function Printers.
Conventional scanners and multi-function printers are still used at every office. They are cumbersome but produce professional-quality output. Scandock allows smartphones to produce top-notch quality output and truly replace those conventional devices.
3. Not Just a Copystand. Can't be made at home.
We used the expertise from our business making BookDrive digitization machines to make the Scandock. Issues that may seem intangible but critical for professionals such as color calibration, color rendering index (CRI) are taken into account. SCANDOCK IS THE HARDWARE + SOFTWARE SOLUTION DEVELOPED TOGETHER TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL.
This is the signature model. It can't be made much cheaper due to the high quality materials and the production methods used.
Just put the phone in the dock and the lights turn on automatically. Open the app. Capture. Done. You get high-resolution scans with color true to the original.
How is it different than taking a photo and using some existing apps? Great question. Taking a photo and using some some existing apps creates low-quality, amateurish output. It is acceptable for occasional use, but not good enough for when you want something good quality.
We made Scandock because we were frustrated with the output created by those apps. The mobile solution is easy to use but how do we make the output great?
Enter Scandock. It is the best of both worlds. The convenience and ease of a smartphone, and the level of quality expected by businesses and professionals.
The Scandock’s special color pad, called the Image IQ, provides color profile information that is embedded in every scan. The Scandock app uses that information to auto-correct the image, turning it precisely the way the document is made and intended.
Scandock works great in any lighting condition.
Document the way it is intended.
Deep black. True white.
No glare on glossy materials.
Full range of color.
Printout almost indistinguishable from the original.
The User Interface.
- Comes with 2 docks: iPhone dock and the universal dock.
- the iPhone dock supports iPhone 5/4s/4 and iPod touch (5th gen)
- iPhone can be secured and locked to the dock to deter opportunist theft (when the phone together with the Scandock is used in a public place as a shared or self-service scanner)
- the universal dock supports most Android phones including Galaxy S3, and even Galaxy Note II, and of course the iPhone.
- The base is a slightly sticky silicone mat to keep the document naturally flat without requiring software correction. The silicone mat has no adhesive and does not harm the document.
- Free Scandock app for iOS and Android.
- Single-Doc and Multi-Doc scan mode.
- Kensington Security Slot in the back to secure the device to the table.
When designing Scandock, we take care in every detail. We think and rethink to make Scandock easy to use and have a simple design.
A lot of craftsmanship goes into making the neck piece as seamless as possible for each and every Scandock.
The lighting is carefully engineered to provide even light distribution on the document with no glare even on glossy materials.
The base is made of aluminum for good weight distribution and durability. It is 3 degrees inclined to give a slim wedge profile and for the document to face up toward the user.
Kickstarter only - We offer a unit of Scandock as reward for $479 pledge.
- Please add US$30 to ship Scandock within US.
- Please add US$50 to ship Scandock anywhere in Europe and Asia.
$15 - Scandock button & Sincere thanks
$29 - Scandock logo t-shirt
$479 - Scandock - priority delivery
$499 - Scandock limited edition
$999 - Scandock privilege edition
PROJECT TIMELINE & PRODUCTION PLAN
We have been working feverishly on this project for over a year. Iterations after iterations. Countless prototypes. With some know-how that we have in this field and a lot of collaboration from engineers and experts, now we have come to a finish line.
Where we are along in the process?
- Oct 2012 We have finished late stage prototyping and going through design verification testing
- Nov 2012 We have started sourcing for all the major parts and components that will be used in producing Scandocks. We have submitted our product for testing and certification such as CE.
- Dec 2012 We finalized all the pre-production that has begun for many months including molding and tooling. Injection molded plastic parts (such as dock) as well as injection molded aluminum base.
What is left is the full production to begin starting in Jan 2013. We expect to ship Scandock to you in April 2013
Why are we raising funds here?
Manufacturing a consumer product requires a huge amount of investment. Even though we've been in a business for several years, we are still a small company that is privately owned and funded. We like the idea of appealing directly to the Kickstarters that share our vision much better than raising investment from investors.
Many thanks to all Kickstarters who are supporting us by backing this project. With your help, we will make it a reality. If you have feedback, questions or ideas, we would love to hear from you!
Risks and challenges
This is not our first product. Our team has experience in developing, manufacturing and supporting the products.
Over the past 7 years, we have been making and selling BookDrive, professional line of book scanners to libraries and some of the most prestigious institutions in the world.
In the past few months, we have spent a lot of effort in pre-production such as working with the mould makers, etc. We have now solved most issues related to mass production of Scandock. Some issues that still may arise that could cause delivery delay are:
- Sudden shortage of some supplies and parts which are in the BOM (bill of materials) that normally have reasonable 1-2 month lead time.
- Unforeseen events such as strikes or delays in our contract factory.
- In the early batches, the contract manufacturers may have low yield due to the challenge in meeting the quality standard set and required by us. The yield will improve as they improve upon their production process and learn from their mistakes.
Please add US$50 for any location in Europe and Asia.
Although shipping prices vary by country and location, it's simpler that we use flat rate. The product will be shipped out from the distribution centers that we have set up with our partners in Europe and Asia.
Support this project
- (30 days)