Theo & The Professor is a monster-of-the-week web series that offers an equal mix of horror, comedy, and most importantly, character. It takes cues from 70s and 80s genre shows like Kolchak The Nightstalker, early Dr. Who, and The X-Files, but Theo & The Professor carries a unique narrative & original mythos that is all its own.
Theo & The Professor are an unlikely yet serendipitous investigative team in the tradition of Agent J & Agent K (of Men in Black) or Sherlock & Watson.
The interplay of these two monster hunters, against the backdrop of a modern Lovecraftian universe (replete with monsters from your worst fever dream and a supporting cast of intriguing weirdos), makes for a must-watch series that has gotten test audiences begging for more.
TRACK OUR JOURNEY TOWARDS SUCCESSFUL FUNDING:
WHO WE ARE:
Locust Street Entertainment is a Pittsburgh-based artists' co-op that focuses on producing emotionally-driven horror and drama films. We've done well for ourselves in the short time we've been together. We've made a name for ourselves and won accolades. Now, we're ready to tackle out long-time dream project: Theo & The Professor.
Before we ask you to pull out you wallet and help us make this series a reality, we should let you know a few things:
- This series has been DECADES in the making. Creator/Director Lance Parkin has been mentally engineering the Theo & The Professor universe in one way or another from childhood, and he's finally assembled his dream team to make this project a reality. While Lance would blush at being compared JRR Tolkein, he does share a pretty scary, Tolkein-like obsession with building, detailing, revising, and expanding his vast & strangely realistic Theo & The Professor Universe.
- This is a series with a beginning, middle, and an end. While we are very excited to complete these six episodes as a proof of concept, that is by no means the extent of the Theo & The Professor canon. Our goal is to complete these six episodes and use this as a jumping point for further development of the series, if there is enough interest from supporters and audiences like you. Whatever happens, you need not fear that we will leave fans hanging after these six episodes.
As long as their is some small audience for it, the saga of Theo & The Professor will be told by hook or by crook. And we promise -- this is not a series like LOST. This show's entire narrative has been thoughtfully written in a 7-season arc (which could be condensed into 4 seasons), but we will not allow it to suffer from the "story decompression" and lolllygagging that plagues certain shows.
OUR PAST WORK:
Before you give us your money, you probably want proof that we can pull this thing off with style. Fair enough.
Check out a few of our award-winning short horror films. (Of course, these films are representative of our penchant for gut-wrenching horror and we are very proud of them, but they don't necessarily capture Theo & The Professor's tone of comedy and character drama.):
Production of Theo & The Professor is already well underway. We plan to release these six episodes online as a batch as soon as they are completed. If funding is successful, we can have these episodes shot, edited and released by March 2017.
If funding is unsuccessful, then, well, these episodes might never get made and you'll have no one but yourself to blame. (We hope you're happy. Enjoy that extra latte you bought with the $5 you could have used to make our dreams come true).
WHAT YOU'LL GET:
Sorry for being hard on you just there. That latte comment was out of line. It's just that we KNOW that Theo & The Professor is a worthy project that can do so much, if we just have a little support from wonderful people like you.
So, as a small token of gratitude for your support, we've got some great rewards that will make you feel warm and fuzzy, while showing the world what a generous person you are (who also happens to have great taste in web series)!
REWARDS (SEE REWARDS TAB FOR DETAILS):
DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, DIGITAL ART, M.A.B.S MEMBERSHIP CRDS, BUMPER STICKERS, T-SHIRTS, HOODIES, WRAP PARTY INVITATION, BE AN EXTRA, GET A SPEAKING ROLE ON THE SHOW, BE AN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER (WITH IMDB CREDIT).
Theo & The Professor is a heartfelt comedy-horror-drama series that focuses on real characters in real, emotionally compelling situations.
Want some proof that Locust Street Entertainment has what it takes to pull of character drama? Check out "Butterfly": our submission to the Pittsburgh 48 Hour Film Project Overall Runner Up, and Winner of the award for Best Director.
Required Character: Lenny Saffron, Chocolatier
Required Line of Dialogue: Maybe I just don't find you funny
Required Prop: A sticky note
- Open in Google Docs Viewer
- Open link in new tab
- Open link in new window
- Open link in new incognito window
- Download file
- Copy link address
- Edit PDF File on PDFescape.com
Risks and challenges
There are always things that stand in the way of making good things happen. So far, Theo & The Professor has already encountered and overcome many production struggles.
That time we urgently needed matches in order to shoot a scene, but no one had any, and all the stores were closed, and a production assistant had to go out into the cold night and beg strangers for a book of matches. (But we got them!)
Or that time our director nearly severed his finger by pulling too hard on a piece of string that was being used to make cabinet doors slam shut by "ghostly forces". (We learned a little bit about special effects safety that day.)
Or that time, after one busy and frustrating day of shooting when wind, neighbors, and all the forces of fate seemed to be conspiring against our shoot, one of our Assistant Camera Operators earned the nickname of "Gangster Ralph" by verbally and physically defending our set from undesired foot and car traffic. (No one was hurt and no laws were broken. Thanks, Gangster Ralph!)
OR, how about that time a freak monsoon came out of nowhere and blew over all of our light stands and equipment in the middle of a shoot, breaking all of our expensive bulbs, and melting our monster (which took 10 hours of makeup), costing us hundreds of dollars, countless man hours, and made almost every member of the team cry (director included).
Long story short:
Locust Street Entertainment is a scrappy, determined, and smart group. We've definitely taken our lumps, but we've shown perseverance in the faces of production obstacles. If we can get this project funded, God himself is going to have to stand in our way to keep Theo & The Professor from getting completed in a timely manner.
OTHER POSSIBLE CATASTROPHES THAT WE COULD OVERCOME:
- Inclement Weather (we'll wait it out)
- Equipment Damage (we've got warranties)
- Someone oversleeps (we havedrive to their house with a bucket of ice water)
- Someone dies (we replace them with a lifelike dummy)
- President Obama declares a ban on Monster-Hunter shows (we will take our production to Canada)
- The Allegheny River swells and carries off our Director of Photography in the middle of a shoot (one of our actors owns a boat, we will catch him with a big net, towel him off, and keep shooting)
- (30 days)