Boulder Outdoor Cinema's been rockin' the sweet movie-flicks since 1996. We're replacing that old screen structure and moving forward!
Here's the Deal!
The reasons we’re doing this Kickstarter program are pretty straightforward:
1) Our Screen Structure is 17 Years Old and Needs an Upgrade. Father Time and those awesome windstorms we have in Boulder do a lot of damage to the overall screen frame, most especially to the joints, and while we've been vigilant about getting it repaired every season, there's a better way to do this.
2) The Smartest Way for Us to Upgrade is to Get an Inflatable Screen. The inflatable screen doesn't require a large metal frame, it only needs spots to be tethered to. Plus, if we can tear down the current structure, the area will look nicer, benefitting the entire neighborhood.
3) An Inflatable Screen Protects Boulder Outdoor Cinema's Future. If our current space ever goes away, we can simply move the BOC to a park or somewhere else in town. This also gives us the option of growing the BOC. We could take that new screen lots of places: community parks, company picnics, fundraising events, you name it. That kind of mobility will keep us vital for the NEXT 17 years.
4) Quality Inflatable Screens are Expensive. Because we are and have always been a donation-based business serving the community of Boulder, we don’t make the kind of money necessary for this upgrade. We have worked with inflatable screens before, we know what kind we need to get and all the accessories to pull it off, such as tethers, a generator, a trailer, etc. We’ve been doing everything we can to raise the money ourselves: saving donations, digging through our couches, cleaning out our savings, squirreling away day-job paychecks and we’re about a third of the way there. We need your help to get this accomplished.
5) It Will Be Worth It for YOU. You may have been to the Boulder Outdoor Cinema. You've probably had a swell time. Boulder Outdoor Cinema is a tradition in Boulder, it's one of those things that shows up on a Bucket List of Things to Do in Boulder in the Summer. We want to keep it going just as badly as you want it to keep being there. We believe the inflatable screen is the key to our future in Boulder - the key to generating enough revenue on our own in future years to upgrade our AV gear. Yes, we're asking you to chip in some money now. You work hard for your money (so hard for it, honey!) so we better treat you right! (Oh, that's right!) So we researched which outdoor cinema Kickstarter programs around the country were successful. We learned from them. And then we talked to our friends around town and learned from them. And now we have this Kickstarter program all planned out, with a lot of pretty awesome rewards for our backers: some of them include us taking this new inflatable screen to you so you can show a movie to 900 of your best friends. Check out the rewards and if there's nothing listed that you're into, let us know. We're pretty sure you're gonna like what you see!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
After our project is successfully funded, some of the challenges we expect to face include tearing down the current structure (it's been there for almost 2 decades and we don't know what it'll take to remove it), and setting up anchors for tethering the new inflatable screen. Hopefully, those two issues can be addressed simultaneously.
Another challenge will be figuring out where to store the new screen. Our current screen rolls up nicely and fits in our little basement room on top of our other gear. The new screen will need to be stored on a large rolling dolly and won't fit in our current space, so we'll have to find an appropriate place to keep it as well as figure out how to transport it back and forth to the BOC. These problems are not insurmountable and we're feeling confident we'll overcome them.
Our biggest concern is not getting funded. Our current business model keeps the BOC on the edge of financed, but there is no income for upgrading our gear. If we get the screen and can do a few off-site shows a year, that income will make the BOC safer financially and may mean we can stop throwing our paychecks at the business to keep it afloat.
If we don't succeed with this Kickstarter plan, we'll keep doing our best producing shows for the Boulder community this summer and come up with another plan to rebuild. But we're sticking with one of Walter Sobchak's most inspirational quotes (that he ripped off from Theodore Herzl): IF YOU WILL IT, DUDE, IT IS NO DREAM.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
"You're Out of Your Element, Donny" - For $5 bones, we'll send you a sweet BOC sticker and give you a personal shout-out on Facebook. Something like, "SoandSo McGillicutty is our FAVORITE!"Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
"Is This Your Homework, Larry?" - For $25 bones, we'll send you a limited edition BOC Kickstarter t-shirt, a sweet BOC sticker and give you a personal shout-out on Facebook. Something like, "Guess what? We're in love with Miss Ladycakes today!"Estimated delivery:Add $5 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
"The Little Lebowski Urban Achiever Award" - For this $50 reward, we'll send you a limited edition BOC Kickstarter t-shirt and a sweet BOC sticker, give you a personal shout-out on Facebook, and THEN we will make you a trophy. A big, shiny trophy with your name engraved on it that you can put on your mantle and point to when people come over to your house. "Yeah," you'll say. "I was awarded this in 2013 for my general awesomeness. It happens to me a lot."Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
"The Walter Sobchak" - We've got 2 different $50 prizes. For this one, we'll get you that FB shoutout, the super cool sticker, 4 tickets to the BOC, 4 free popcorns, 4 free drinks, 4 free candies so you can watch any of our movies during the regular season with your friends or family.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
"Whoohoo! I'm Throwin' Rocks Tonight!" - For our out-of-town friends! For this $100 reward, we'll send you two limited edition BOC Kickstarter t-shirts and two sweet BOC stickers, give you a personal shout-out on Facebook, and THEN we will make you TWO trophies, depending on whether you need one for the office and one for home, or one for you and one for your friend. Or maybe you wanna stack them on top of each other to replace that plant in the living room that died.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
"Over the line, Smokey!" - Double the pledge, double the reward! For $100, you'll get the FB shout-out (WE LOVE YOU LONG TIME!), 2 super cool stickers, 8 tickets to the BOC, 8 free popcorns, 8 free drinks, 8 free candies. Why not start a competition about which of your 7 friends gets to join you?Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
"The Dude" - Who wants the FB shoutout, the super cool sticker, 2 limited edition t-shirts, 2 BOC season passes and 3 free concessions at every movie? Probably you. You are probably the one who wants that...Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $1,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (13 left of 13)
"The Big Lebowski" - Since we'll have a big fancy new mobile screen, for $1500, we'll show up wherever you have a permit and show a movie for you and your 1000 closest friends! We'll cover the film licensing fees, work with you on picking a spot, and set the whole shebang up for ya! Perfect for company parties, quinceañeras, anniversaries, or a concert honoring your mom! First come, first served on available summer dates! In addition, you'll be grandfathered in at this rate so when we offer this up to the public at market prices (which are nearly twice the price), you'll be saving some serious dough.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
- (57 days)