Note: your card will not be charged until we successfully complete this campaign.
If this is your first time interacting with Psallos, allow us to introduce ourselves!
Our mission is simple: to create artistically excellent and theologically rich music that teaches people about God and salvation through Jesus Christ. So far, we have created three albums: Slave Songs (2012), Romans (2012), and Church Songs, Vol. 1 (2016). The Romans album embodies this mission and is the first of what we hope are many future projects in which we set New Testament epistles to music. Which brings us our fourth and upcoming album...
THE HEBREWS PROJECT
Like the Romans album before it, Hebrews will be a musical adaptation of a New Testament letter. We've taken the overall story of the Hebrews epistle and set it to song: not a word-for-word rendering, but rather a poetic expression of the narrative. Musical styles and timbres of all sorts are woven together to capture the many layers of the letter's narrative.
The album will consist of over 25 tracks that cover all 13 chapters of Hebrews. All of the songs of Hebrews will be continuous, each track flowing smoothly into the next.
Thomas Griffith and Kelsie Edgren return to sing the lead vocals. Accompanying them is a diverse mixture of instruments. Strings, winds, and brass combine with piano, guitars, and drums to create a fresh and evocative instrumental palette. Electronics smoothly intertwine with the primarily acoustic fabric. Spoken text appears at key moments to aid listeners in their understanding of the complex message of Hebrews.
Here is the instrumentation of Hebrews:
- Bass guitar
- Acoustic guitar
- Electric guitar
- Hammered dulcimer
- Auxiliary percussion
- Various classroom instruments
- Double Bass
And below are some of the current track names, along with their respective passages in the letter.
- "Ex Paradiso (2:5-18)"
- "Wilderness: A Third Warning (6:4-8)"
- "The Old (9:1-10)"
- "Two Mountains (12:18-24)"
Our goal is to release Hebrews by mid-November of this year. We hope to record throughout the months of July and August, with mixing and mastering concluding sometime around late-October. Once we have all of the audio files squared away, we will start the CD replication process, which takes about 3-4 weeks to complete.
We have dozens of sweet rewards that you can look through to the right. Here, we'll feature pictures of some of them throughout the campaign.
WHERE YOUR MONEY IS GOING
Recording an album of a normal size is not cheap. Recording an album of 25+ tracks is just downright expensive! When we approached some Nashville studios about recording the whole thing professionally with them, the total came out close to $60K. And as much as we would love to go that route, that doesn't seem like the best option for us at the moment. So, instead, we're going to do all of the recording (minus drums) ourselves in the same style as 'Romans.' We'll record everything in our home-made studio with our own equipment, giving us plenty of time craft the music how we see fit. We're purchasing much better recording gear, which, with our added experience, will result in a more excellent sound.
Fleshed out more specifically, here is what the money we raise will be used for:
- Purchasing new and better recording equipment
- Mixing and mastering the album
- Pressing the album onto CDs
- Travel costs for musicians
If we exceed our $10,000 goal, the surplus money will go towards funding additional Psallos ideas.
- $12,000 -- We will create a family devotional book of 'Hebrews' for you to use in your home. Incorporating our music, we'll present the themes of Hebrews in an easy-to-understand format that do not water-down the Bible.
- $13,000 -- 'Romans' on vinyl! We'll finally take the plunge and create a 2-disc version of 'Romans' on vinyl.
- $15,000 -- We will record a live performance of 'Hebrews' with full orchestra. Yes, FULL ORCHESTRA! As many instruments as we can possibly get on stage. Think Wagner. Well, maybe not Wagner.
- $18,000 -- We will organize a 'Romans' or 'Hebrews' Psallos Conference. The conference will feature a live performance of our album, plus renowned Bible teachers and scholars who will speak on various aspects of the letter. Attendees will have opportunities to fellowship and worship with like-minded believers, hear good music, and learn about Scripture.
Risks and challenges
With all the writing done, our biggest hurdles right now are recording and mixing in a timely manner. Our goal is to track everything by the end of the summer and use the fall to get everything in its proper place. Many of us work full-time, so it gets difficult to organize with our busy schedules.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)