Fellow Skewerer of Sky-bound Salamanders,
Having been completely blown away by the blinding beams of your earth-rending generosity from the very first nanosecond of this campaign, we here at IFD have undertaken a great effort in these past weeks and have made a firmware upgrade to our project.
Today we're rolling out Project Atma 2.0.
So what does this entail exactly? You know, I'm glad you asked, since I have a five-part answer prepared.
1. Mega Stretch Goal - IFD Documentary
First of all, you completely obliterated all of our stretch goals within the first 36 hours of the campaign. We literally had no plan for this situation, and we were frankly dumbstruck with joy. I'm happy to say that we now have a grand plan for this situation, and we are smartstruck (that's the opposite of dumbstruck right?) with elation to be able to share it with you:
If we are are able to reach $110,000, we will have raised enough to shoot a full-scale documentary throughout the creation and release of the album. This will be a documentary about the current state of the music industry, the geek culture explosion, crowdfunding, and IFD in general, but it will be centered around this year of our lives and the album itself.
And best of all - we're keeping it Voltron Style. Every donor at the $15 level and above will receive a free digital download of the documentary when it's finished, their name in the credits of the movie, and the OPPORTUNITY TO BE IN THE MOVIE. This is a documentary about crowdfunding after all - we're envisioning a short scene in which everyone gets to submit a video of themselves (a little like Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir) and we combine them all together.
$110,000 may seem like a lot, but it will actually be just enough for us to confidently say we can make a documentary - as we mentioned before our album production budget has ratcheted up now that we'll be making at least 3000 of these epic vinyl slabs, and documentaries are also expensive to do well. We want to make one, but we want to be able to do it right. Thus, if we are able to reach this goal, any extra money raised will go toward expanding the documentary budget.
2. New Bonuses Unlocked
These aren't proper 'stretch goals,' but your support has allowed us to throw the switch on all of these projects that might not have happened otherwise:
- More Vinyl - We're going to explore the Vinyl Frontier even further and release all of our back-catalog on good 'ol vinyl - KABOOM! will be its own 12" and 'Cool Is Just A Number' and 'Welcome To The Breakdown' will be a combined 12" record (one EP on each side!) - look for these fall 2013 as well.
- Expanded Recording Budget - we're expanding our recording budget, which means we'll be able to have deluxe treats like actual grand pianos, real string players, and more crazy things we would've otherwise had to use synths for.
- Signing Every Record - we will sign every record before we send it to you, as well as every Flexi-Disc. As it currently stands there are over 2000 of you that will be receiving these, so it will be a pretty herculean effort, but one we're happy to undertake.
- New IFD T-shirt - This shirt won't be a part of the kickstarter rewards but we haven't been able to release a new t-shirt in over a year due to lack of fundage - a problem which you have solved handily. Look for these on our web store as early as next month.
3. New Reward Tiers Added
In order to help us reach this new mega-stretch goal, and because many of you have asked for these specifically, we've added some new reward tiers!
-$75 June 1st Kickstarter Event at Uncommon Ground in Chicago (10 more tickets added)(if you'd like to add a ticket to your donation of $100 or over, just add $25 and message me)
-$175 Framed IFD Lyric (limit 10) - Brian will hand write and sign any lyric you want from any currently-released IFD song (not including the forthcoming album), frame it, and mail it to you.
-$300 Hari's Hat - the dashing fedora Hari has worn on stage since 2009, it's his signature hat and the only Hari-centric item in the kickstarter. See a pic here.
-$450 Custom Chiptones - IFD will create a gameboy version of the chorus of any song you'd like, (like this version of The Faster The Treadmill). This can be any song, IFD or otherwise, and you can use this as a ringtone or for any other creative purpose you might envision.
-$500 IFD Writes And Records Your Personal 30-Second Theme Song (2014 version) - this is the same as the sold-out theme-song reward, but it will happen in 2014, after the new album is released.
4. Add-On Records
Many of you have been asking about the ability to add on extra records to your existing pledge - well we have heard your pleas and we've decided on the following simple system:
1. Add $20 to your pledge for each record with US shipping, or $30 for each record with international shipping (limit 10 records total per Kickstarter backer - this is a Kickstarter policy).
2. Send me a message to make sure we have your extra album(s) noted! This part is very important since we aren't notified specifically otherwise.
Finally, there have also been a lot of you that have asked about using PayPal - Kickstarter doesn't accept PayPal officially, but we're happy to announce that we've added a PayPal payment page on our website for all of the non-limited reward tiers:
So that's it! We're officially up and running with new firmware. Project Atma 2.0 yo. In all seriousness thank you, as always, for being the only real reason that all of this adventure is happening. And I have to say it's been a pretty kickass one so far :)
Your friendly neighborhood Dragon Fighters,
Brian, Bill, Chad, Hari, and Packy