The artist has selected 30 words that reflect the political and cultural moment and attempts to encapsulate it. Each word is chosen for its use to offer explanations, cause, accountability or certainty in a distinctly uncertain time.
In this artwork, funds are raised to pay writers to not use the 30 words in three original published texts engaging political and cultural analysis over one year.
- Writers enter a contractual agreement with the artist to clarify terms.
- In the agreement writers choose 3 words to keep, agreeing to remove 27 from their future texts.
- $150 for texts 500-2000 words
- $250 for texts 2000 words and above
- $750 maximum payment per writer for up to 3 texts within 1 year.
- All texts must reach publication and are to deal specifically with political and cultural themes that would likely have included a substantial amount of the 30 words.
The current funding goal allows for six writers to participate and more writers will be included in the event of additional funds.
CONTRIBUTE TO SPONSOR A TEXT OR A WRITER TODAY!
NEED REWARDS AS HOLIDAY GIFTS? CONTACT THE ARTIST HERE.
MORE PROJECT DETAILS HERE.
WORD LIST (Each writer chooses 3 to keep):
- Interested writers should contact the artist to confirm funds exist and to provide work samples that show an engagement with politics, culture and previous use of the project words.
- All texts must reach publication to be paid and writers must propose texts to the artist in advance to confirm topics qualify and that funds are available to support the text.
- Writer retains all intellectual ownership of their work while artist receives non-exclusive license to reference, reproduce and use the text in future representations of the artwork.
Risks and challenges
It is important that this project be seen as within a context of exploration and inquiry and it is my job to facilitate that - all while not controlling outcomes or reception.
This project is not intended to silence conversation or minimize the work being done around the words on this list. The texts commissioned are directly incentivized to engage with these very topics. This project is a thought experiment to consider perspectives, inaccuracies, specificities, boundaries or binaries that are maintained by these words and our use of them as justifications for the current moment.
The choice to allow each writer to choose 3 words to keep is an acknowledgement that some investments and meanings may be too much to relinquish or the sheer use of the word is itself a politics. This is left to the writers to choose and is as much a reflection of the times as the list crafted by the artist.
Besides maintaining questions of tone, the largest challenge will be raising funds. I hope you will help in circulating this project so as many writers can be included as possible!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (48 days)