Tabletop Cartographer: Huge, Detailed Maps
Tiled Maps on a Massive Scale.Huge Art.Naked world ready for your Cities and Empires.Tabletop game mechanics focused on exploration.
- Hello Tabletop Gamers! Have you ever wanted a beautifully rendered map, so vast that it seems like your group of friends could go just about anywhere and get lost? This is a restart of a recent map project gracing the pages of Kickstarter, one that could easily be on your home's wall with your support. The effect of having a huge wall of maps is quite stunning, the sheer scale and detail of these maps are guaranteed to impress! The project was on Kickstarter for 16 days as a trial run while I was learning different campaign strategies. It did well for having little exposure, gaining ground slowly but surely at the 121st place (out of 503 projects). The project had too high of an initial asking price, so now I've lowered the price and decided to offer just the main continent, among some other tweaks and campiagn strategies. Enjoy!
- The project, with all stretch goals, will be over 300 Color Maps, exhaustively detailed and obsessively perfected for multiple viewing distances using subtle techniques, maximizing your enjoyment up close and far away.
- This project is a game supplement for all tabletop games that use fantasy maps, including Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, Fate, and "Insert Your Favorite Here".
- This project is about putting the power into your hands to make wonderful tabletop gaming experiences.
- These maps are currently in the black and white phase of production. These maps are perfect for a tabletop game den and they tile together to fit precisely. Designing tabletop maps this way allows for some incredible flexibility for both playing the game and running the game.
- Each map is a digital file suitable for printing at home or professionally. Map files are 8.5 x 10.5 inches in 300 dpi Resolution and in their uncolored state they look something like this:
- This map took 8 hours to draw, scan, align to the other map tiles and touch up in Photoshop. I have spent my time expanding the scope of the project, currently no map tiles are colored.
- Having control of the printing medium allows you to turn this map project into your own art project. The project can go a few different ways, you can with exceptional computer resources make a huge, huge map and have a printing company make a huge, huge print for you. That would cost a lot of money, yet you would have an incredible, huge map of your very own! The other side of the project is that you can print using whatever settings you want out of your home computer and tile them on your wall. This makes for more work hanging the map tiles, yet their are more options aesthetically. Perhaps you will only print a few maps out, the point and strength of this product is that YOU have the control. The only time things get complicated will be during file manipulation, everything else is a simple arts and crafts project. Let your creativity soar!
- Having no pre-drawn locations (cities, place names) gives you the most flexibility as a Game Master (GM). This can be your world for your players. Manipulate the files directly, or draw locations on the printed maps themselves, you can go with your personal preference.
- Tiled maps with easy printing also allow you exciting new game mechanics that can be incorporated into ANY tabletop game. Possible exploration game mechanics your players will keep coming back for:
- The GM keeps the maps to themselves, releasing portions of the map that players can then explore. Players will explore the world, map tile by map tile, each tile full of the mysteries with which the GM fills it. These maps provide great flexibility for running games and add a feel of excitement brought on by an overland adventure. So you and your players will enjoy the mystery of discovering a huge, detailed world (you don't have to look at all the maps)!
- These lands have been designed for interesting game play. Getting lost on the planet could be a real possibility if a GM controls information carefully. They can do this by cutting up the map and only giving players portions of the maps (making a sort of jigsaw puzzle) and then giving players only bits and pieces. An example of a fun mechanic would be giving players a piece of the map when they beat a boss or dungeon area. This helps in GM planning as well, only designing for a small area of the map. GM's also can apply your own game mechanics and ideas, the sky is the limit!
- For all of the coloring enthusiasts out there, the Navigator Plus allows for endless reprinting of the map for endless coloring!
- Also, with simple software tools you have the control to modify the maps for your personal use: Expand the map to make it larger and put a clear overlay of hex tiles onto it for your more calculated battles, great for massive army movements which add more choices to player command decisions.
- Edit the maps and add your own features, whatever you want! After this project ends look for other Kickstarter projects by Seth, as this is the first of many!
- Note: I may add hex tiles as a standard overlay for maps, it's incredibly easy but i'd rather keep the prospect of a virgin world as the primary point of the project.
- Simple Funding Breakdown: All funds are going to pay for taxes, fees and hiring artist(s). The requested funds for the project are based upon other projects that have funded, currently a reasonable market price is unknown for these goods and I am not aware of any direct competition for this product.
- How Map Tiling works:
- Comments? Questions? Concerns? All are welcome and could influence the project, so please participate to your heart's content.
Risks and challenges
Risks and Challenges: Few by design.
The project requires no shipping costs, so that means all funds will be focused on the project.
This is a time intensive project, and as such you need someone with the capability to manage their time long term and produce to keep the release within the deadlines.
Seth has already invested around 300 hours into this map project and thousands of hours on the world design. He knows what it takes and does not crack under long, sustained pressure, as evident by the nature of his military service.
Seth currently has no commissions, or other projects, he is looking to dedicate 100% of his creative efforts on this project. This project is the beginning of a much larger ambition.
All backer rewards are for personal use only.
Computer Memory requirements for the information will come out before release. Expect the maps to require a lot of hard drive space.
Currently there is no file direct download setup, yet by release there will be. Any recommendations are welcome!
All delivery times are subject to change. With how this project has been planned I expect earlier than usual delivery times. There is plenty of time for life and messing things up royally in this plan.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)