About this project
What's this all about? Well let me explain:
1) In November 2011 I shipped my little 1989 85cc Honda C90 to Malaysia with the plan of riding her back home. And that was the only plan, I organised visas and vaccinations and that was it. What followed was 14,500 miles and 8 months of pure adventure. I rode through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam Nepal, India, Dubai, Iran, Turkey and Europe.
2) Two weeks into the trip I decided to buy a waterproof handheld video camera and started filming what was happening to me, with the aim of one day making a movie of my experiences.
3) There was no camera crew, no support vehicle but most importantly, no-one to tell me what a stupid idea was. Everything that happened to me was real and involved real people. I've watched so many 'adventure' programs and wondered if the situations are real or just clever camera angles and scripting. This movie offers something they cannot; you can watch this, enjoy it, and say "I want to do that" and you can.
I also filmed a music video while on the ride back. This is my favourite video I made, I definitely recommend a watch to understand my sense of humour
4) Why Kickstarter? And why is it costing so much?
I want this movie to be the best it can be, and if I edit it, it won't. That's why I'm using Kickstarter to fund professionals to produce it and make something that can be truly enjoyed by all.
The costs/time break down as follows:
Converting footage into FCP compatible format - 1 day
Watch footage (approx 20hrs) - 2 days
Assemble Edit and rough cut edit (5days per 30mins) - 10days
Fine Edit - 5days
Script VO - 2days
Picture Lock Changes and Fine Tune - 1day
Sound Mix - 2 days
Online edit - Colour grade in Blackmagic Resolve - 2 days
DVD Compression - 1Day
DVD menus (Extras/bloopers makes it more complicated) - 2days
DVD cover design - layout and copy - 1day
That's the time that it will take a professional film maker to produce the finished movie. 29 days and £6000. Yes £200 per day sounds high but these are professionals so you're paying for their equipment but also and most importantly, their expertise. And a plumber will charge more than £200 per day. There is an extra £1500 to produce the DVDs and get the music licenses as well.
And that's where the £7500 comes from.
Could I make it myself? Yes, but the computer and software required would cost nearly that amount, plus it would probably be crap haha.
5) Don't know what to expect? I recommend watching my India video update here
And for another idea of my sense of humour I recommend this video which I made while in on the trip too *contains adult language*
So there we are, I hope I've explained everything well enough and have been as open as possible in explaining what the project is about and what is involved.
Ed and 90
Risks and challenges
The only risk that could arise would be potential delays in either:
Editing - All of my footage is double backed up so although some delays could arise due to system failures, these would not affect the production costs, and would only cause a relatively short delay.
DVD creation - This in theory could have a slight delay from the third party company but would not be significant.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)