WE NEED YOUR PLEDGE TO SAVE CATSKILLS HISTORY - AND TO HELP RELEASE OUR FILM!
ABOUT THE FILM
Kutsher's Country Club is the last surviving Jewish resort in the Catskills. One of the legendary Borscht Belt hotels during its heyday, Kutsher's has been family-owned and operated for over 100 years. Exploring the full Dirty Dancing-era Catskills experience— and how it changed American pop culture in the comedy, sports and vacation industries— this award-winning documentary captures a last glimpse of a lost world as it disappears before our eyes.
After working on this film for the last 5 years as a labor of love (no one in the crew was paid), Welcome to Kutsher's had its world premiere as the Closing Night Film of the New York Jewish Film Festival at Lincoln Center in January 2012. It won the Best Documentary Audience Award at the Miami Jewish Film Festival, and is now playing the festival circuit (our last screening was at the Palm Beach International Film Festival).
WHY WE NEED THE MONEY
Yes, the film is finished and we love the current cut. The good news is that we have had multiple offers for the film to have a limited theatrical run, appear online and on-demand. The bad news is that before we can accept any such offer for wider distribution we need finishing funds. Our biggest remaining expense is to pay for the theatrical/broadcast/internet rights to some of the amazing archival sports video in our film (including Wilt Chamberlain as a bellhop and playing at Kutsher's, famed coach Red Auerbach as Kutsher's Sports Director and boxer Ezzard Charles trainer at Kutsher's).
So your funds will go directly to making a complete, award-winning film widely available for viewing by the general public. It also is a contribution that helps preserve history. We believe that the story of Kutsher’s, and what it says about the Catskills experience, is a uniquely American, unexpectedly moving and a vital chapter – previously unexplored – of the modern Jewish experience. Without you and your pledge, this is history that could vanish, just like so many Catskills resorts that have gone before it.
Your pledge is:
- Tax Deductible - Welcome to Kutsher's is produced in association with OVO, a registered not-for-profit arts company with federal Tax-Exempt status as an official 501(c)(3) organization under the Internal Review Code. (OVO is now in its 13th year of creating and producing original works of film, theater and art. Visit ovoland.com for more about OVO.) All donators will receive an email from OVO providing tax-exempt documentation information and confirmation of your donation amount for your tax records.
- Only final if we reach our full $10,000 funding goal. If we don't meet our goal, your pledge is cancelled and your credit card will never be charged.
- Enormously appreciated!
MORE INFO about Welcome to Kutsher's
To find out more about Welcome to Kutsher's and the filmmakers, please visit us on Facebook (Facebook.com/kutshers), check out our website (tinyurl.com/kutshersdoc) and watch the trailer (http://youtu.be/bbph6DTb9_0). To contact us directly, with a question about our Kickstarter campaign or to get on our mailing list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
That's it. Thank you so much for considering to pledge a donation to making the wide distribution of Welcome to Kutsher's possible!
With great appreciation, Caroline & Ian
FAQ about Kickstarter
- If I make a pledge, when is my card charged?
If the project you’re backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged. That's why they are called pledges.
- If funding does not succeed do backers pay anything?
Nothing. If funding is unsuccessful, all pledges are canceled and that's that.
- Do I get notified if a project I'm backing succeeds?
Kickstarter will send you an email when funding ends, no matter the outcome.
- Can I pay with a check? Send cash by mail?
Sorry, Kickstarter only supports credit card payments through Amazon.
PHOTOS FROM THE FILM
- (30 days)