About this project
Pelion Preserved, a novel by Anna LaForge, is the third and final book in the MAZE series, following The Marcella Fragment and Agave Revealed. The manuscript is complete and is now being revised with input from early readers. It will be published by Newcal Publishing, the same small press that published the first two books of MAZE in 2012 and 2013.
We successfully used Kickstarter to help fund the publication of Agave Revealed. Feel free to see how that project turned out!
Praise for Agave Revealed
Book 2 of the series, Agave Revealed, garnered praise in reviews from both Publishers Weekly and Library Journal when it was published in 2013. As you might suspect, this is no small feat for an independent author and publisher.
- "LaForge's worldbuilding is lush and diverse... a frequently engrossing exploration of post-Earth societies." -- Publishers Weekly, May 27, 2013
- "LaForge's compelling story...should appeal to fans of visionary fiction such as Frank Herbert's Dune." --Library Journal, June 15, 2013
We hope to continue our success as we publish Pelion Preserved.
Continuing the Story
Pelion Preserved increases the scope of the story and covers vast amounts of space and time, revealing the continent east of Pelion, taking the reader across the Sarujian Mountains and the River Tellas to the eastern shore and beyond, where sailors ply three-masted ships over wind-whipped seas in search of trade. Adventures abound. A dog howls out a warning as a bridge buckles over a raging river; a son is beaten almost to death by his father’s command, and a knife-fight in the seaman’s district ends in a kidnapping.
Here we meet Endlin, an ancient city that, like Pelion, treasures the knowledge of Old Earth, but has evolved into a profoundly conservative culture led by a madman. Three stories intertwine--the transformation of the ernani Alyssa and Sandur, a change of leadership in Endlin, and the promise of finding an eastern passage to other continents so that, as promised by the Sowers, the entire world can become One.
Early readers of the book have praised it, with one calling it “…the strongest yet” in the series.
This Kickstarter project is intended to fund several parts of the production of this book.
- First, we have identified an editor who we think will be excellent. She will provide copy editing on a manuscript that has already been rewritten with the input of several early readers.
- We will also hire the same illustrator we used for the previous books to create the cover and new maps for the much larger world encountered in Pelion Preserved.
- These funds will also underwrite marketing and promotion we have planned. This will include issuing a press release and doing targeted online advertising, as well as participation in readings at the upcoming ReaderCon SF/F conference in Burlington, Massachusetts. We will provide Advance Reader Copies to several major publications, with the hope that we will once again garner a favorable review!
Our plan is to launch this book in December of 2015.
If the funding goal of $2,000 is exceeded, the additional funds will go towards additional marketing and promotion expenses.
If the Kickstarter is successful the book will be published in two formats:
- A trade paperback edition for Kickstarter supporters and for retail distribution.
- An ebook edition (Kindle, Nook, iPad and other EPUB compatible readers) for the Kickstarter and for retail distribution.
So who is this book for, you might ask? That is an excellent question.
- Fans of the first two books, The Marcella Fragment and Agave Revealed. If you read them, liked them, and want the story to continue, then you can help make it happen!
- Fans of character-driven science fiction and fantasy epics
- Fans of speculative fiction novels that build believable, complex worlds
- Fans of romances between opinionated couples
- Fans of strong female characters
- Fans of feminist literature
Thanks in advance to all of you for taking a look at this project and supporting it. If you think Pelion Preserved is a worthwhile project please do your best to recommend it to others and get the word out!
Risks and challenges
If this Kickstarter is successful, I think the only risks we have are delays in the publication date. I think we have enough time to introduce the book in December, but unforeseen problems in editing, book layout and production might cause us to have to delay the introduction.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)