This project's funding goal was not reached on July 8, 2013.
About this project
WHAT is LiteUpBase?
LiteUpBase is a LED lit platform that can be used to:
- Provide lighting effect from base to display items such as major brand construction bricks/blocks models, crystal figures, car models, or toy figures
- Light up rooms/shelves
- Provide portable lighting uses such as reading in the camping tent or emergency
- Build Models and hang on the wall to display
- 96 x 96 mm (3.8 x 3.8 in)
- Bases can be combined to produce larger size base
Colors: 6 colors available (red, blue, green, yellow, white, RGB)
- Patented manufacturing right in China
- Each base can be ceiling mounted or wall mounted, or simply placed on floor/table
- Each base is lit by 16 super bright LEDs
- Each base is operated by 3 AA batteries (not included)
- Each base has 144 studs that are compatible with any major brand construction bricks/blocks
Price: US$20 per unit
LiteUpBase is cost effective and versatile.
It is perfect to display models as it is completely compatible with any major brand construction bricks/blocks figures
- Display area can be easily expanded by combining multiple bases together
Alternatively, it can be used as ceiling light or wall light or shelf light
WHEN is LiteUpBase available in the market?
We have completed the proof of concept phase which included production of a few prototypes. Once funding is secured for the project, tooling, raw material procurement, and mould making will commence. Upon successful production level testing, LiteUpBases will be available for shipping and distribution end of Oct 2013.
Who is behind LiteupBase?
My name is Catherine Law. I am the creator of this Kickstarter project but I am not the creator of the product. The creator of the product is actually my brother Samson Law. LiteupBase is backed by our family and we are the 'Law Team'.
The 'Law Team' has 4 members - Samson, Kenny, Debbie and Catherine. Samson is a seasoned manufacturer and has more than 30 years of working experience in Hong Kong and China. About 6 years ago, Samson became very passionate about LED technology and started researching, designing and manufacturing various types of LED lights (tubes, bulbs etc). Recently while he was looking into adding LED lights inside construction blocks, he thought of making a larger base to display models made with construction blocks. Samson knows he has invented an excellent product and dreams of selling his product worldwide. I love his idea and suggested that we start a family business to carry his idea forward.
The 4 of us have skills and experiences that complement each other (though we previously worked in different industries). For this project, Samson will focus on the technical aspects - design and specifications. His son Kenny, who has years of manufacturing experience in China, will focus on production aspects - mould making, quality testing, assembling etc. Samson's wife, Debbie, will be responsible for logistics - packing, shipping etc. And me, Catherine, have more than 20 years of experience as project manager; will have the marketing and administrative responsibilities.
My first task is to raise some funds so we can launch our product. Kickstarter is an excellent avenue to do some fund raising. As I am creator of the Kickstarter project, I will be responsible for progress update, be the SPOC for backers, and ensure that all rewards are provided in a timely manner.
Our family has the necessary skills and experience to handle this project. And hopefully this project is just a stepping stone to a larger business worldwide.
How is LiteupBase conceived?
About 6 years ago, Samson became very passionate about LED technology and started researching, designing and manufacturing various types of LED lights (tubes, bulbs etc). Most of the lights he worked on are for household uses (tubes, bulbs) and commercial uses (signs).
Recently he noticed that there is a lack of lighting effects for construction bricks/blocks. He started to design adding LED lights inside construction bricks/blocks. Then Eureka! Why not make a larger block that can be used as a base to display models made with construction bricks/blocks. Thus the concept of LiteupBase was born!
How is LiteupBase going to be produced?
Up to this point, we have made technical drawings and a few prototypes (see video). Right now, we are raising funds to make the product. Once funding is obtained, we will execute the following steps:
- Kenny will go to GuangDong China to start the tooling process. He will be working with a mould maker with whom he has conducted business for years. This process will take about 40 days to complete.
- Concurrently with the mould making phase, Kenny will work with an electronic factory to make the PCB board. The LEDs and resistor will be soldered on the PCB based on the specification drawings.
- Once the mould is made, manufacturing of the plastic parts will commence. We will be partnering with a factory in Zhongshan China to do the manufacturing. This factory has worked with Samson for more than 10 years.
- Assembling phase is next. All plastic parts, PCB board, battery connections will be assembled to make the LiteupBase.
- Quality Testing will be conducted per batch of LiteupBase assembled.
- All LiteupBases that have passed QA testing are packaged and ready for shipping.
Risks and challenges
We've been working on LED related projects for over 6 years. But we have always been producing for other companies until recently we decided to go into business ourselves. We researched into this product design for over 6 months already. At this point in time, we have procured manufacturing patents in China and have chosen two professional factories to work our orders. We are comfortable that we can deliver this product per our timeline!
Below are a few challenges we are tackling:
Tooling Accuracy - Tooling must be perfect. As the studs need to be very precise, we have to choose a very professional plastic mould maker to work on the moulds. This part requires a major portion of our funding.
Choice of Factory - The factory belongs to one of our very close friends who has good experience with making LED lighting products.
Shipping and Handling Worldwide - We will manufacture the products in China and ship to US for distribution to the North American market.
For non US shipments, we will ship directly from Hong Kong.
Quality Control: Good QC is a major focus of ours. One of our team members, Kenny Law, will stay in China during the process of production to oversee manufacturing and lead quality assurance testing to ensure product quality meets established standards.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)