New Color Scheme Designer
New Color Scheme Designer
Amazing tool helping people find best color combinations, 10 yrs online. Our goal is to launch brand new version with great features.
Amazing tool helping people find best color combinations, 10 yrs online. Our goal is to launch brand new version with great features. Read more
About this project
ColorSchemeDesigner.com is a wonderful online tool helping people create their own palettes of colors they work well together. Color Scheme Designer is a unique modern interpretation of ancient color theories, utilizing the palettes of classical masters for everyone's use. It's been online for more than 10 years, loved by milions and is constantly growing. We are raising funds to make the next version available. It will be a huge step forward, raising the application to the new level.
This project covers the development and launch of the new version of Color Scheme Designer application (read further for details). The project is finished as soon as the new version is launched, our plan is this October.
Petr Stanicek; founder, designer and programmer:
I'm really excited about the next version I've designed. I simplified the UI, making it even easier to use, and added many new ways to preview the selected palette. I've already started to rewrite the application from scratch using the latest technology (HTML5, CSS3, CoffeeScript etc.). One of the major features of the new version is the widget, required by many users, allowing you easily insert the ColorSchemeDesigner onto your own web site and use it to colorize the structure of your choice — web pages, graphs, tables, presentations… Another important feature is "going social": we will start building a large color scheme database created, tagged and shared by the users. Anyone can share a palette they have created on social networks, anyone will be able to search for a pallete according to their needs and mood.
Plus, when this version is done and launched, the following development of the publicly expected downloadable applications for Windows and Mac, as well as the mobile applications for iPhone, iPad, Android (and perhaps even more) can be started. I designed the new application to make such multiple platforms available. There is just one thing I need to bring all these features online: a couple of weeks of fulltime drawing, programming and testing. The application has been designed, all the ideas are ready, the plans are set up. As soon as we have some funds I'll be ready to start bringing all of it to life.
The Major Features of the Next Version
- Enhanced UI. The new user interface will be simpler and even easier to use. The user will be able to set up the entire color scheme directly on the home screen without the need to browse through tabs.
- More palette previews. The current single live preview and one web page will be replaced with many more preview options and more on the fly generated previews, like a flyer, a table, a hand-drawn picture, a presentation screen etc.
- Rewritten from scratch. Using modern technologies like HTML5, CSS3 or CoffeeScript, we'll raise the user experience to a new level, as well as open the application for more intensive reuse in future desktop and mobile applications.
- Colorblind preview. The very popular simulation of colorblind vision of the palette and its previews will be rewritten, and much more precise and sophisticated algorithms will be used.
- Social features. Each color pallete can be tagged and shared in the public Color Scheme Designer database. Many more sharing options will be available as well — sharing on popular social networks, via email, via private URL, etc.
- The widget. Using a simple code to be placed into your page, you can use the power of the Color Scheme Designer to allow your users to colorize anything you want: a user site, table, presentation, logo, anything.
We are also starting cooperation with a cool Czech cartoonist VHRSTI (you won't believe it's pronounceable in Czech!). We are really happy to use his beautiful illustrations on the application, he also creates custom illustrations as rewards for you, our supporters.
(Sample illustration, not to be used on the application nor as a reward.)
When the next version is done, many other planned features become available. If we succeed to gather even more funds than needed for the online application, we'll transfer them immediatelly to the next development stages:
- Mobile applications. At least two mobile applications are in the schedule: a free color scheme browser, and a full-featured scheme designer application, including a color and photo matching features. We already have a rough design of the iPhone and iPad application; Android and WM versions should follow.
- Desktop applications. Windows and Mac desktop applications will follow the mobile applications.
- Social integration. Plugins and applications for popular social networks could be available when required.
- Photoshop plugin. A plugin for Adobe Photoshop (and other graphic editors) will be created as soon as possible.
We are aware there is virtually just one main competitor for us: Adobe Kuler. Our goal is to prove our tool is much better than the Kuler. We want to beat it in the end, and make Color Scheme Designer a popular plugin to design applications.
Your contributions will go far. You're going to help a great project take a huge step forward. You are going to help people understand colors and color relations much better. Your help will make people use better design supporting tools than they use now. You're going to start a memorable project. THANK YOU for your support!
Support this project
- (30 days)