You can't choose the family you're born into, but some of us get lucky. For me, my luck meant getting thrown into a world of handmade pasta and scratch-made sauces, all so good it could make you cry. And believe me, we cried, and laughed, and talked a lot. Loudly. We're Italian, you know. Between happy shouts and big hand gestures we ate, and loved one another as much as we loved the food.
I'm not talking about making dorm room noodles. We're going to need a dough sheeter, oven, pots, shelving, and maybe a few spoons. Real food takes real time and money, and that's where you can help. Your donations go directly to building out and equipping a classic ('91) beauty of a truck, and I don't do anything halfway.
Food is an expression of cultural and personal history. It's instinctual and symbolic, where both biological and spiritual needs can come together. So, do you feed more than just your belly when you eat? We want to bring back a sense of the family-centered dining I grew up with, the kind that sticks with you long after the meal is gone, and can't think of a better place than the dynamic Austin culinary scene. We have the truck and the passion, but now we need the kitchen. You can be a part of that, both on Kickstarter and at the table. If you help us get rolling, there's just one thing left to say: order's up, and welcome to the family!
Risks and challenges
Our goal here is remodeling and spiffing up a much-loved Chevy step van into a working kitchen. Our ideal workspace includes butcher block countertops, stainless cabinetry, a range, generator, AC units, hood vents, etc. It's going to take time and effort, but fortunately we've got a talented local contractor signed on to the project (who also happens to be family!).
Risks and Challenges:
- Time constraints: Ideally, we'll be ready to go by SXSW 2013
- Staffing: We've got to find some talented, great people to help us expand
- Location: We're still shopping for an ideal place to set up shop
Strengths and Opportunities:
- The Jalopy: We've enjoyed sustained success over the last 2 years
- Patrizi's Restaurant: A Beaumont, TX staple for over 50 years; a track record that's hard to beat for a concept inspiration!
- Network: We have a great circle of incredibly accomplished, knowledgeable fans, family, and friends to leverage
- Competition: There just aren't that many great Italian restaurants in Austin
- Family focus: There aren't many restaurants specifically creating a family atmosphere in this city
We expect many challenges, as should any newcomer in the food business, but we'll meet them with enthusiasm and confidence. We trust that with your help, Patrizi's can be one of the best Italian eateries Austin has ever seen!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)