About this project
Official Website: www.chromasquad.com
Chroma Squad: sentai heroes, manager, tactical turn-based, meta-game, pixel art fun! Everything you want in a fresh indie game! In this game you become responsible for managing and recording episodes for a sentai TV show.
So, what is Sentai? Our game is based on 90's Tokusatsu TV series, like "Power Rangers", "Changeman" or... "Captain Planet And The Planeteers". Yep, any group of 3 or 5, each with different powers, whose union makes a special weapon appear to defeat their enemies. In this case, Captain Planet himself. =)
In Chroma Squad you'll see tons of references, including riders Tokusatsu, metal heroes, solo heroes, and every bit of our geeks 80 and 90's culture. So, get ready for a experience full of color!
The main story of our game is about a group of stuntmen that decide to make their own sentai TV studio. You become their manager, hiring actors, purchasing awesome cameras, and making everything explode with your special effects. But their adventure becomes so exciting, that they start thinking that everything is actually real.
Here's a quick list of what you can do in the game:
- Hire and customize your actors.
- Choose their jumpsuit color and their roles on battle.
- Select skills and make your own build of abilities. Each color has its own skill tree of possibilities.
- Buy equipment for your studio, such as cameras, microphones, chromakey carpets and lights to improve your gameplay experience.
- Record episodes and complete seasons.
- Each episode is a mix between tactical turn-based battles, with tons of dialogues, and explosive cinematics.
- You have the lights, the cameras, and of course, you make the action! You control the movement, attack and skills of each of your chromatic party while recording.
- Purchase consumable items and improve your abilities. Example: buy fireworks and gain +1 damage to your attack.
- Create channels and improve your marketing campaigns, sending letters to your fans' mailboxes, chatting on IRC, going to conventions, and releasing comic books.
- Take care of your fans, in a very cute mini-game, listening to their distinct stories and deciding if they deserve what they're asking for. Like a little boy who asks to visit the studio, but once you let him, you can't tell if he might break anything valuable. ;D
- Record episodes with other studios online. Fight for audience in cooperative and competitive modes.
And here's another list! This one is a quick game features list:
- Tons of content for customization and recording your episodes.
- Story line with multiples endings. The game has an ending, but you'll probably never know all possible outcomes.
- Single player and multiplayer campaigns.
- Hassle-free multiplayer. No bad connection alert, or anything like that. Seamless integration.
- PC, Mac and Linux. We'll try to launch it on Steam through greenlight. Click here to vote for us!
- Multitouch version for Tablets (iOS/Android), mid 2014.
- Possibility to launch it on OUYA, Sony PS4 and Microsoft XBOX ONE, considering their openness to indie games, late 2014.
- Cloud integration for your saved files.
- No micro-transactions. No in-game realm money purchases. You get the full game!
- DRM-Free and Steam Key.
We are from a small indie studio called Behold Studios. We've created some games in the last 4 years and we won a lot of awesome prizes. Our latest success was a meta-fun game called Knights of Pen & Paper. With it we won the Student Showcase at the Independent Games Festival - IGF 2013.
Knights P&P is all about fun, meta-game, and references to a lot of 90's geek culture. In the game you manage a group of players playing a table-top RPG, like "D&D", with books, dice, soda and pizzzzza! And this meta-language is what inspired us to make this Chroma Squad game.
We are a team of 7 very excited game developers. We've released games on the App Store, Google Play, Indievania, Steam, and we have experience with games for PC, Mac, Linux, Consoles, Tablets, Smartphones and Web. We have showcased our games in Brasil Game Show, Tokyo Game Show, Game Connection, Game Developers Conference, E3 (Indies Crash E3), and in a bunch of others.
We've started the project three months ago (Apr/2013), and we already have a playable alpha. In late October we'll launch the game for the early access users (beta backers), and at the end of the year we should launch it for everyone, on PC/Mac/Linux. On April 2014, we will ship every physical items, such as boxes, printed art books, t-shirts, posters, etc.
As full indie developers, we do this for a living. We have to pay rent, expenses in pizza and soda, and our board game play sessions ;D. So, we're not asking for much. We have the licenses, we have the computers, and we have some money from Knights of Pen & Paper. We only need funding to pay for our daily expenses to make this project possible.
The purpose of this kickstarter project is also to build a community behind the game. We wanna know if YOU want us to create this game. We're doing this for you, of course! So the social spread and the feedback of this project will help us build a better game for you.
If you help us backing this project, besides getting perks, accessing the game earlier than everyone, or accessing exclusive items, you will help us get excited and motivated to continue building this amazing game. Every like, share and back will help us improve our project to ultimately make it perfect!
Stretching our jumpsuits! Based on user feedbacks, we designed some great stretch goals to you root for!
Choose the best perk that suits your needs!
Found the perk that you want? If you need more customisation, see Add-ons below.
We have two types of T-Shirt: The Squad Member T-Shirt and the Monster T-Shirt. You'll get to choose the one you like after the campaign is over.
Physical Collector's Edition
Exclusive Box + Printed Autographed Comic Book + Paperback Art Book + Exclusive Backer T-shirt + Signed Poster of the Game + 4GB Custom Pendrive with the Game + Digital Collector's Edition
Everything physical is made by Over Island.
Do you want some extra content? Go on then! Add some of these items below to your backing. For example: If you get a perk of $15 dollars, and want the complete digital soundtrack, add $5, and pay a total of $20. We will send you the perk and the soundtrack =D
**Extra digital copy of the game is only available for perks that already includes a copy of the game.
*** Extra digital copy of the game comes with Backer's Only In-game Features.
Add any of these items to your perk, and customise your backing experience!
Last month, we released a web comic about the story that is told in the game. We have already 6 episodes released, and we're planning on creating at least 20 more.
In the story, a group of Stuntmen, tired of working in an old-fashioned money driven sentai studio, decide to open their own indie TV studio. And that's when the adventure starts. The group of stuntmen have to decide who's going to wear the red jumpsuit, learn how to build monsters with paper-machè, understand the basics about filming and editing, hire extras to be their mud men, and a lot more.
We plan on printing a paperback version of the webcomic, with at least 25 pages of content. We want to deliver more pages, but it will depend on our kickstarter campaign success. We're counting on you!
If you purchase the game through this kickstarter project, you'll get a exclusive backers only in-game features. We'll never sell or launch this features for whom that did not purchase the game here, a.k.a EXCLUSIVE!
- Exclusive backers campaign episodes
- All backers have an option to start their campaign with a different quest. In the game, you will create your own studio, and for that, you will have a kickstarter campaign to help you fund your first season of sentai heroes. **META ALERT**
- Exclusive squad member jumpsuits
- Public backer badge for multiplayer
- Your name immortalized on ending credits
This pack is for those who bought any of the Collector's tier, both digital and physical. This exclusive in-game features are only yours to enjoy.
- Includes Backer's Only In-game Features
- Exclusive squad member armored jumpsuit
- Exclusive high-level armor set for you giant robot
- Public collectors badge for multiplayer
- Your name immortalized on ending credits on a featured category
and yes... we have giant morphing colored dragon robots.
Risks and challenges
There are always a lot of risks on digital game projects. But we've been working with game-development since 2009, and our passion has led us very far.
We've created some successful games, but we only have experience on creating virtual goods. One of the biggest challenges for us will be to deliver the comic book, art book, game box, t-shirts, etc, with the same quality that we deliver our digital games. That's why we've partner-up with a printing company to delivery everything in extreme quality, called Over Island - http://www.overisland.com.br.
We also think that putting the game on Steam is not that easy, but this would not be our first game on this platform. We haven't closed any deal with a publisher for Chroma Squad, so we're still finding our own way to Steam. But we're confident that the game will be awesome, so everyone will want it there! =DLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Galaxy-wide shipping is included in every pledge with physical items, don’t worry about it, even if you include some add-ons to it. You just need to add $20 if you want physical add-ons (any amount) on a digital perk.
If you are getting a physical pledge, you are all set, don’t need to add nothing more. If you are getting a digital pledge, just add $20 regardless of the amount.
As you read it, the pledge levels only include PC/Mac/Linux DRM-free versions.
We are also working on tablet versions for iOS and Android (sorry, no plans for smartphones). And who knows, there is also the possibility to get it on Ouya, Playstation and Xbox.
Wii U? Nintendo doesn't allow us, Brazilians, to add content to their indie store. So, we can't promise you anything on Wii U.
We are also looking into getting it on Steam. If that works well, all backers who get the digital copy of the game or above may get a Steam code of the game if they wish so.
Sorry, no Zeebo, SNES, PSVita, 3DS... :(
If I get the Digital Copy of The Game through Kickstarter, will i get the iOS or Android version of the game afterwards?
Due to Apple's App Store rules we can't give all backers a promocode of the iOS game. So, we don't have the power to do so. But for Android users, we will send the DRM-Free APK as well with the game for PC/Mac/Linux.
If I get the game now on Kickstarter, will I also be able to get my kickstarter exclusive features on the upcoming iOS/Android versions?
Not guaranteed for now, but we'll try hard to do so.
Yes, we have the list of the first 1000 backers, the Kickstarter back-end is that awesome. After the project finishes, we will ask everyone the name you wish on the credits and as an in-game fan.
You can change your pledge that it won't affect your backing number. Don't worry about that!
We are using the mighty Unity3D engine, the same used in our other games, like Knights of Pen & Paper. We're also using the plugin NGUI for the 2D sprites.
The pre-order is now available on http://www.chromasquad.com
You can choose from Paypal, Amazon Payments or Google Checkout to purchase it.
They will not be forgotten.
Rider is our first Stretch Goal! Did you see it? Help us get to US$ 80K, and give yourself a go in a solo rider campaign.
Yep! They will be there. More details soon.
Support this project
- (30 days)