A Keanu Reeves Moment
I woke up this morning to discover that you had not only completely devastated my web site design goal, and not only demolished the mystery reward goal, but you had also dismantled the next goal I had in mind after that! And the pledges keep coming in.
So I've gone back to the drawing board (or spreadsheet, actually) to figure out what comes next. I'm serious about putting all the funds collected into the series... and now I've figured out how to do it. Here's what I've got coming up:
$14,750: PROFESSIONAL SITE DESIGN AND VIDEO SPIFFIFICATION [ACHIEVED!]
As I said in update #4, web design isn't my strong suit. I'll be hiring someone with real skills to do the site design now. Depending on how much that costs, I hope to pay for video bumpers as well.
$17,000: THE GOAL FORMERLY KNOWN AS MYSTERY REWARD [ACHIEVED!]
Thrice-weekly updates! Rather than airing the Live channel twice per week, I'm going to put out three episodes every week. And this isn't just about more frequent updates--it's about more content! I'll be producing 48 Live and Caffeinated videos, not 32. If you've pledged for one month only (the $10 level), you'll get 12 Live and Caffeinated videos instead of eight.
$21,000: INCREASED HOSTING CAPACITY [ACHIEVED!]
With the large amount of interest and the increased number of videos, my hosting costs and other overhead have gone up. This makes sure I can cover those expenses.
$28,000: LET'S PLAY TDD DISTILLED [ON DECK!]
My Let's Play TDD series is what got this whole thing started, and it's gotten a lot of praise from viewers. At the same time, the early episodes are a bit rough. If we reach $28,000 in funding, I'll release completely re-edited and distilled versions of the first 42 episodes, bundled into eight chapters. It's like getting a whole second screencast! Everyone at the $25 pledge level and higher will get it.
I'm not talking about just dumping a copy of what you can already find on my website, either. This is a careful, meticulous re-edit. I'll be going through every second of video and cutting umms and ahhs, compressing time spent typing, and removing dead ends. I'm typically removing just seconds at a time. Take a look at this picture of chapter 3: every line is an edit. These six episodes originally took nearly 80 minutes to air. The distilled version takes less than 40.
This project has far exceeded my expectations. Thank you all. Words are not enough.