eROMP (Emulator ROM Portable)-Android Handheld Game Console
eROMP is an Android tablet and a handheld game console fused together capable of emulating games for 14 obsolete video game consoles.
How old is emulation?
The truth is emulation has been around for at least 16 years. The known birth of which started on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). In 1994 a collection of hardware experts, former Nintendo / Sega employees, and hardcore gamers began to gather on IRC. Most hung around what was known as DALNET however there was also a subculture of experts on EFNET and UNDERNET. During this time these experts began building software and hardware that could copy the contents of video game cartridges thanks to technical documents and a lot of trial and error. The end result was some of the first dumps known as ROM’s. ROM’s or Read Only Memory carts are the file representation of a physical hardware storage medium.
The NES was the first system to be completely archived to ROM files thanks to the many helpful people sending copies of their games to these underground experts to back up their games for them. These experts then began sharing their ROM's with other experts on IRC. Shortly thereafter some of the first IRC DCC shares began which allowed people to download the ROM carts. IRC was the breeding ground for ROM's as we know it and people finally had an easy way to have a backup ROM copy of a game they owned! For the first time in history people were empowered with the ability to "keep" their purchased media alive forever through ROM's and emulation. Nintendo was highly criticized for their old Nintendo NES not loading cartridges properly or failing completely. The days of our lungs dying or sticking another game on top to force the first NES game down to its lowest resting position was finally over. People were finally able to create "virtual backups" of their games and play them without the need to blow the dust out of their console!
The process of backing up media is far simpler now and there are far less "bad dumps" due to the process of dumping a cart being much more widely known. These experts who helped start this advancement in technology are partially responsible for the reason why Nintendo and other consoles are now providing emulation of other systems. Microsoft, SUN, and various other large software groups have noticed the advanced usage of an emulator and have since created software to emulate a computer allowing what they call "virtual operating systems". These applications are simply emulators that allow emulating an operating system. They even provide the ability to save the operating systems state exactly like emulators do.
What is eROMP?
eROMP ((Emulator ROM Portable) is an Android Jelly Bean 4.2 handheld game console consisting of:
- Quad-core Cortex-A9, up to 1.6GHz
- Quad-core Mali400 GPU up to 600MHz
- 2 GB DDR3 RAM
- 8 GB flash memory
- Micro SD card slot that supports up to 32 GB
- 7 inch IPS LCD touch screen with a resolution of 1280x800
- USB support, internal dual speakers, front camera, and wireless connectivity
- HDMI dual screen output, up to 1080P via HDMI cable or wirelessly
- Key mapping capability to the actual physical buttons
- Rechargeable battery (6 hrs of hardcore gaming) and the capability of playing videos and music
eROMP is professionally designed for gamers. It’s designed to run Android applications, play Android / PC games, and play ROM games for 14 emulators.
- Arcade Machines (Capcom1/Capcom2/Capcom3 ; Final Burn Alpha ; International Games System ; Neo Geo)
- FC (Famicom)
- SFC (Super Famicom)
- GBA (Game Boy Advance)
- GBC (Game Boy Color)
- MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)
- Mega Drive
- N64 (Nintendo 64)
- NDS (Nintendo DS)
- PC (Personal Computer)
- PS (PlayStation)
- PSP (PlayStation Portable)
- WSC (WonderSwan Color)
Risks and challenges
Upon successful funding, need to finalize the R&D phase:
1. Final product finishing quality
2. Increase the capacity of the micro SD card slot to support 64 GB
3. Wireless connectivity signal fine tuning
4. Additional back camera
5. Buttons need to be more professionally designed
6. Upgrading to Android KitKat 4.4
Kindly find below a high level plan to achieve the communicated launch date scheduled for April 2015.
1. Task Name: Funding ; Duration: 1 month ; Start: Mon 08-12-14 ; Finish: Fri 02-01-15
2. Task Name: Research & Development ; Duration: 2 weeks ; Start: Mon 05-01-15 ; Finish: Fri 16-01-15
3. Task Name: Verification ; Duration: 1 week ; Start: Mon 19-01-15 ; Finish: Fri 23-01-15
4. Task Name: Testing ; Duration: 1 week ; Start: Mon 26-01-15 ; Finish: Fri 30-01-15
5. Task Name: Marketing Activities ; Duration: 2 weeks ; Start: Mon 02-02-15 ; Finish: Fri 13-02-15
6. Task Name: Production ; Duration: 20 days ; Start: Mon 16-02-15 ; Finish: Fri 13-03-15
7. Task Name: Delivery ; Duration: 6 weeks ; Start: Mon 16-03-15 ; Finish: Fri 24-04-15
- (30 days)