About this project
Friends, neighbors, and one bad dog mix it up in a story told through the words of Norah Dooley and the images of Alex Gerasev.
Husky was always my hero, but in this story he is a mischievous, lovable villain. I learned to walk holding on to Husky, but his neighborhood antics often got him into trouble. He was my dog. And, yes, he was bad.
About the project:
We are seeking funding to cover the printing and shipping costs for My Bad Bad Dog. This lighthearted story follows Husky, a lovable rascal of a dog, as he visits with his well-behaved buddy, Caleb. Sure, Husky knows the rules, but he doesn't always follow them -- especially when it comes to food. Hand-drawn illustrations depict Husky's day, while the text gives readers an inside look at Husky's approach to life.
Printed on quality stock, this 7.5"x 9" softcover book features 38 pages of entertaining dialog and whimsical pencil illustrations. My Bad Bad Dog will be enjoyed by anyone who has ever loved a mischievous pet, and by the children and adults who - like Husky - might just have the glimmer of a rebel in their eyes.
Please tell your friends to join in our CommunitySupportedArt and get their share of the creative harvest http://kck.st/1Q2JL0c
Norah Dooley on sharing stories:
As I toil away in the heady world of self-employed artists/educator, I have seen living proof that a love of stories is hardwired in humans. And there is nothing so powerful as one good story calling another to get people sharing their stories and creating meaning and enjoyment from their own personal experiences.
Good picture books do this too. Reading to our children about other people's adventures and seeing the imagination of the words realized in drawings was magical. This was one of my favorite parts of being a parent and is what inspired me to become a picture book writer. Better known in some circles as a children's author, I am a storyteller who writes. For over 20 years I have used my personal stories to encourage other people to create stories from their life experiences. This book was developed as I traveled from school to school as a visiting author, using my first series of picture books as an excuse to engage students in the timeless art of storytelling.
The first in a series:
We have a series of stories in manuscript that are ready to become picture books about growing up in New York City, where I lived as far from urban life as possible in the most metropolitan of cities and yet, within city limits.
My brother and sister and I had the run of our neighborhood which consisted of six houses on one empty rural street, surrounded by woods.
There was a small truck farm with a chicken house next door and so little traffic on our road that we played tennis on it, marking the side boundaries with the open ditch and sandy shoulder and the drips of tar on the asphalt pavement on either end. We played in the woods. We climbed and cut down trees. We made bows and arrows. We ran wild, and our dog, Husky, ran with us. Now, in My Bad Bad Dog, he can run with you and your children too.
Husky on your voicemail?
Choose your reward from a variety of creative gifts. Here is a sample of Husky answering voicemail:
- Recording of Husky answering your voice mail $10 (limited)
- 1 copy of My Bad Bad Dog $15 (unlimited)
- Signed book and 4 postcards $20 (unlimited)
- Personally inscribed, signed book, and 4 postcards $25 (unlimited)
- Signed, limited edition 8”x10” print from the book; signed My Bad Bad Dog book; 4 postcards $50 (unlimited)
- 3 Signed books + set of 4 postcards $50 (unlimited)
- Signed, limited edition 8”x10” print from the book; signed My Bad Bad Dog book; 1 CD of stories by Norah Dooley; set of 4 postcards $65 (limited)
- Signed limited edition 8"x10" print from the book; signed and inscribed copy of My Bad Bad Dog book; CD of Italian folktales by Norah Dooley; Everybody Bakes Bread (paperback book), inscribed and signed; set of 4 postcards. $100 (limited)
- Signed limited edition 8"x10" print from the book; signed and inscribed copy of My Bad Bad Dog book; CD of stories by Norah Dooley; Everybody Cooks Rice (paperback book), inscribed and signed; set of 4 postcards $100 only (limited)
- 8"x10" original, signed Husky portrait in pencil by Alex Gerasev; inscribed and signed My Bad Bad Dog book; set of 4 postcards $150 (limited)
- 8"x10" original, signed pencil drawing of your dog (from a photo you supply) by Alex Gerasev; 3 copies inscribed and/or signed My Bad Bad Dog book; set of 4 postcards. $250 (limited)
What does our fundraiser cover?
We want to print and publish the book we have created. We let Husky do the financial analysis and he sent us this chart. We have also decided to use a portion of the funds (over our funding goal) to donate copies of My Bad Bad Dog to ReadBoston, a literacy program that gives books to children in the Greater Boston area.
Risks and challenges
The book is written, illustrated and ready to print. We are eager to put books into readers hands. Our goal is to make enough money to get the book out into circulation. Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)