About this project
The Complete Engraver is a brand new book about engraving, print engraving, and stationery engraving. It will be on the bookshelves in September, so, Nancy Sharon Collins is going on a book signing tour to spread the word. (This project supports the book tour from late September through October.) Who's been involved? Want more information?
"Today, Nancy Sharon Collins brings crisp wit and undying love to one of history’s most spirited printing processes. As the letterpress revival grips designers in its leaden thrall, we might ready ourselves to receive engraving’s lighter touch." — Ellen Lupton
Why a book tour?
Its about de-mystifying this incredible printing process, discovering the history, sharing the craft, and reaching-out to visual culture nerds like you, people who know, or know nothing about engraving.
Who might be interested?
Designers, typographers, techies, book people, print history/letterpress/paper/letter writing/calligraphy people, picture people, cultural history people, heraldic and iconography people, people interested in monograms and ciphers, DIY people.
What's in it for me?
- Be part of a growing community of engraving nerds doing their part to revive this incredibly unique and beautiful art.
- Learn about what engraving is, how to design with it, and make gorgeous stationery.
- Learn to identify engraving from other forms of lettering, type, and printing.
- Learn the rudiments of how to engrave, the old fashioned way.
- Gain valuable resources for who/what/where/how engraving is done with old-school, by-hand methods as well as digital technology and the latest in photo-engraving.
- Gain first-hand knowledge about monograms, their history, and how to make them.
- Ask the author as many questions as you can possibly imagine, provided this project is successfully funded.
What cities will Engraving for Nerds fund?
Where has the book already premiered?
Also...two digital fonts were created for the launch of “The Complete Engraver” by Terrance Weinzierl and Steve Matteson, Monotype Imaging. To share the enthusiasm for engraving, vintage type, lettering, and this project, download them FREE. The fonts "Feldman Engraver" (below left) and "JMC Engraver" (right) were based on real engraver's lettering styles.
About the author:
Author Nancy Sharon Collins is a well-known designer, educator, and stationer for clients such as Clinique, Revlon, Curve Fragrance, Williams-Sonoma, Martha Stewart Wedding, the Metropolitan Opera Shop and the Museum of Modern Art. She has been written about in many publications and blogs.
“This is for those who love everything fine.” — Marian Bantjes
* Images shown in "The Complete Engraver" sample spread reproduced with permission from: E.A. McIlhenny Natural History Collection, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, La.; The Historic New Orleans Collection; Napoleonic Satires collection, Anne S. K. Brown Military Collection, Brown University Library.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (28 days)