Dear Amazing Backers: We’re off and running!
Our crew is about to start getting larger every week. There are now 5 of us:
- Stacey – Producer
- Michael – Producer
- Coco- Co-producer and Queen of all Kickstarter Backer relations
- Mark – my friend and right hand man
Here’s what we’re up to this week:
• Hiring a line producer. A line producer is the person who directly manages our budget. They deal with all the spreadsheets and accountant-type stuff and all the many intricacies of budgeting a movie. A great line producer knows how to milk every cent out of every dollar you have.
• Meeting actors. Our amazing casting director, Avy Kaufman, and I have begun making lists of our ideal actors for each role. This week I’ll begin to meet some of the people I’m excited about. Tomorrow I'm having breakfast with one of my favorite actors and I'm hoping he'll want to play Saul (my character Aidan's father). Also we have two children to cast and that can often take a lot of time.
• I’m meeting with some of my favorite actors out there; the response to the script has been overwhelmingly good. The role of Sarah, my wife, will hopefully be played by a well-known leading lady. She needs to be pretty and funny and believable as the mother of a 5 year old and a 12 year old. I have someone in mind (who’s also a friend of mine, but I can’t tell you who just yet…)
• Searching for a foreign distributor. The Cannes Film Festival starts this week. Cannes is one of the biggest film festivals in the world. It’s not only a place where films are shown, but also a place where we hope to find a partner to sell the foreign distribution of our film. This is crucial to us being able to:
- A) Make sure the film gets seen by countries outside the USA, and
- B) It gives us additional upfront capital to make our movie. As I mentioned in a previous update. This film will be made for between 4 and 6 million dollars.
The 3 elements that will make up our final budget will be comprised of :
- A) Kickstarter Money, (That’s you. Virtual Hug.)
- B) My own money,
- C) This Foreign distribution pre-Sales money.
I’ll keep you posted with any and all developments as they come in. It’s a very exciting time and none of it would be happening without you.
I’m so thrilled and honored that you have put your faith in me. This is gonna be fun.
Xoxoxoxoxo (and sometimes y)