Our mailbox is filled with people savvy to the world of Kickstarter asking about a new stretch goal. So here goes:
What is a stretch goal? It sounds like a yoga pose.
A stretch goal means that since we've achieved our goal so quickly, thanks to the outpouring of support from across the globe; we're stretching our goal...
Now that you're officially film financiers, it's time to tell you a little more about how your film will become fully financed. Film financing is a smidgen complicated, but I shall break it down for you:
"Wish I Was Here" is a pretty ambitious indie film. It is larger in scale and scope than "Garden State". It's not a 2 million dollar movie. The budget will be comprised of 3 elements:
- The money raised here on Kickstarter. (That's you. You rule. I love you.)
- My own money. (Don't worry. A LOT! An ass-ton.)
- Pre-selling select foreign distribution rights to a few countries.
The budget for the whole project will ultimately fall somewhere between 4 and 6 million dollars. I know that sounds like a lot of money. (And it is.) But just for some comparison, the studio version of this film would likely fall around 25 million.
Things that are pricey:
- Fantasy sequences with special effects.
- A computer generated flying droid. (We could cut him. But I love him.)
- Shooting at Comic-Con.
- Shooting with two children (5 and 12). *They are only allowed to work a limited number of hours a day. (Lazy!)
- An epic soundtrack. (We definitely need some Thom Yorke...)
- Shooting in Los Angeles. (Several states and Canada offer tax breaks to bring production to them. That's all fine and dandy, but as this film takes place in LA, I'm really campaigning to keep the work here.)
- Shooting on film instead of video. (OK, I'll likely give this up, but it would be awesome.)
Also, 2 million raised on Kickstarter isn't really 2 million. There are fees to Kickstarter and Amazon, as well as the fulfillment costs of getting you all the delicious goodies we have promised you. (Not to mention how many kitten taints I have to sample to find just the right one for our shirts.)
The point is, now that you've got some skin in the game: the more we raise on here, the better our movie will be. EVERYONE working on this movie is working at the bare minimum the unions will allow.
Zach, get to the point:
Tell everyone you know! Tweet it, Facebook it. Let's keep going. This is your movie as much as it's mine now. The more we raise on here, the more amazing-ness we can afford. We are making history. And I'm so honored by your belief and faith in me.
We will continue to try and offer all the additional incentives you guys are asking for. Please continue to help us make history...
*Also, we are often asked about how to get multiple things. (Like the vinyl and a screening.) This is a sort of glitch in the Kickstarter set-up. The way to do it, is to set up another Kickstarter account. You can still link it to your same Amazon account.
Berlin, Paris, Rome: we hear you. The 3 of us are working frantically to try and bring you an early screening.
Lastly, I wanna share something with you I've never shared with anyone. (No, still not gay...) My hobby is photography. Here's a photo I took of one of my heroes: