The BedShelfie is a rethink of the age-old nightstand inspired by Small Space Living & Minimalism. Here's the BedShelfie in a nutshell:
(1) Made for the Millennial Minimalist. The BedShelfie clears up floor space while still giving you the ease of a nightstand. It’s also more fun to transport :)
(2) Smart Design. The BedShelfie attaches to nearly any bed frame, without tools, using a clamping system that comfortably holds up to 15 pounds of your most important bedside items within arm’s reach.
(3) Eco-Friendly. The BedShelfie is handcrafted out of bamboo which grows exponentially faster than wood.
The BedShelfie is perfect for:
Minimalists freeing themselves of clunky furniture ( ... looking at you Tiny House Peeps)
- Urbanites mastering the fine art of Small Space City Living
- College Students squeezed into sardine-like dorm rooms
- Parents who want to give their kids the best bunk bed experience ever
The BedShelfie features:
- A clean and minimal design profile for versatility
- A wire slot for easy device charging
- Rounded edges for safety
- A versatile clamp design that accommodates bedframe edges up to 2.25 inches wide
- A sturdy hold - it can hold up to 15 pounds
- Thick felt padding on clamp touch points to prevent scratching
2 Colors: Natural Bamboo + Black Oil Stained Bamboo
- Surface Area: ~12.75 x 8.5 inches (think 13 inch Macbook)
- Weight: ~3.5lbs
Rewind two years.
Rent was skyrocketing in LA causing apartment square footage to shrink
I was beginning to realize “less is more” (after reading 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up')
I sought to free myself from bedroom clutter. Some combination of traveling for work (as a Disney Imagineer) + moving apartments every few years allowed me to finally give up on clunky furniture.
From working in the complex world of Theme Parks, I knew the best design always fulfilled multiple goals. To replace the nightstand, the solution had to be equal parts beautiful, sturdy, easy to use and eco-friendly.
My first ‘aha’ moment came when studying the incredible strength and versatility of the time-tested clamp mechanism.
The design question, at hand, became finding a way to translate the strength of something that was traditionally metal, into something both beautiful and eco-friendly.
Building a sustainable future is absolutely paramount to us. We're proud to handcraft the BedShelfie out of Bamboo. Even though Bamboo is technically considered a grass, it's harder than Oak and matures in just 3-5 years (vs 100 years for Oak). So it's an incredible renewable resource.
After months of prototyping, samples and real world testing (several of which are on my own bed right now), we're proud to partner with a production facility that shares the same values of craftsmanship, ethics and environmental standards.
As you can see in the images below, we're nearing the completion on our first 500 BedShelfies for the first 500 backers.
We're excited to announce the BedShelfie is ready for the world!
Risks and challenges
We have been working hard for the last 9 months and as you can see above, we have already started production for our first run of BedShelfies for Early Bird supporters.
- Backers #1-500: July 2017
- Backers #500 -1,000: September 2017
- Backers #1,000+: October 2017
The BedShelfie team is ready. Help us make this happen!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)