Do you know someone that struggles to read or is just learning to read? Have you ever tried to teach a child to read those tricky vowels? I have. It is no easy task...until now!!
Hello! My name is Jodi McMaster, I am a 1st grade teacher and have been teaching children to read for 15 years. I started noticing that recognizing vowels and the roles they played within a word was a real struggle for kids. That is when I decided to created a reading strategy that is FUN, ENGAGING and EASY to learn!
Instead of teaching beginning and struggling readers several different confusing reading strategies, I created one strategy that a child can apply to the different vowel consonant combinations.
Currently, the Interactive Circus Vowels reading strategies are being used in thousands of classrooms nationwide and have helped well over 100,000 children learn to read.
1. The story in the book is RELATABLE to children because the vowels are brothers and sisters and the consonants are the moms and dads. The siblings (vowels) get into a little bit of trouble when they are together in a word. Their pinching, yelling and silence is very memorable and relatable to children.
2. The reading strategies taught within the book, Circus Vowels: The Long and the Short of It, are INTERACTIVE so the students can get up and act out the reading strategies.
3. The Circus Vowels reading strategies have excellent VISUAL CLUES. Readers can use these visual clues to figure out tricky words independently.
4. Another reason why the Circus Vowels reading strategies are so effective is because they also help with SPELLING. Children can use the reading strategy to help them spell words. Here is my friend Maria to explain.
The Circus Vowels reading strategies give SUPER POWERS to beginning and struggling readers.
- They give the reader SUPER POWERS to know which vowel makes which sound within a word.
- They give the reader SUPER POWERS to sound out words with independently.
- They give the reader SUPER POWERS to read fluently.
- They give the reader SUPER POWERS to write words correctly.
- Best of all, they give the reader SUPER POWERS to teach others the reading strategy! Yes, teach others, now that is POWER!
Can you imagine if all learners were able to remember 90% of the information they were taught? Can you even imagine how easy reading would be if children remembered 90% of the strategies they were taught? Wow!! What a difference this would make in education!
The Circus Vowels interactive reading strategies give readers the tools to be able to teach others how to read! This is an incredible way for a beginning or struggling reader to learn how to read!
The Circus Vowels reading strategies touch on each of these categories.
Lecture - Talk to the children about the reading strategies.
Reading - The children can have the book, Circus Vowels: The Long and the Short of It read to them.
Audiovisual - The children can have the eBook, Circus Vowels: The Long and the Short of It read to them.
Demonstration - The children can put on the letter vests and ACT OUT the reading strategy.
Discussion - The children will be able to discuss the vowels in words and build an understanding of which vowel makes which sound within a word.
Practice Doing - The children can put on the letter vests and ACT OUT the interactive reading strategies. While acting it out, the children will pretend to be the letters of the alphabet to see how the letters act in words. In addition, there is a writing component where the child can write the word and use arrows and X's to figure out which vowel makes which sound within a word.
Teaching Others - This part is HUGE!! Children who learn the Circus Vowels reading strategies become eager to teach it to others! It is fun to teach because the vowels are naughty and mischievous within words.
As a teacher, I can't even tell you how many parents have told me that after I have taught the Circus Vowels reading strategies their child has come home and taught it to their younger sibling.
For me, this is incredibly rewarding. For children, this is incredibly helpful!
The media is going crazy over Circus Vowels, LLC! Here is some of the media attention we have received!
Here are some news media segments from March's National Reading Month that highlight Circus Vowels and several other really cool products that will get your child reading:
The Circus Vowels interactive reading strategies have been presented at the following International and State Literacy Conferences:
So many parents have found the Circus Vowels reading strategies extremely helpful on their child's reading journey. In addition, teachers have imbedded the strategies into their daily lessons with their students.
Why has Circus Vowels received all of the attention? Because...
Risks and challenges
While there have been many challenges before launching this Kickstarter, I am hopeful most of my "rookie mistakes" are behind me. On the other hand, I know that there is always room for improvement and mistakes can be made throughout this process.
I think the majority of my challenges will be with the distribution company. However, I am confident that I will be able to overcome these challenges by using my proven communication skills and ability to work well with others.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)