Our second Kickstarter is closed, but you can STILL GET REWARDS & DONATE VIA PAYPAL!
Zeppelins. Rockets. Steam-powered robots. It’s 1876, and Cade Ballard is STILL trying to get to Mars…
Huge thanks to everyone who helped us reach — and surpass — our original Kickstarter goal. Cowboys & Engines IS done. Filming was completed in early June, but we're hoping to shoot a few new scenes, and that's where this Kickstarter comes in!
Cowboys & Engines is an ambitious steampunk adventure that follows Cade Ballard (Richard Hatch), the war-weary former ambassador from the nation of Texas as he meets Guinivere Wheeler (Libby Letlow), a woman who proves to be as dangerous as she is charming. When they encounter Professor Nicholas Timéon (Walter Koenig), and learn that his temporal engine, a machine with incredible destructive power, has been stolen by would-be conqueror Dr. Clay (Malcolm McDowell), Cade and Guinivere set off to save San Francisco from total destruction.
If you've finished the film, what's all this "Update" business about?
It's true we wrapped filming on the short as originally planned a few months ago, and post-production — color correction, sound design and visual effects — is being completed now, and everything looks awesome.
However, as the project has gained publicity, we've been approached to pitch Cowboys & Engines to several major mainstream outlets as both a feature film and a series. Towards that end, we've got three additional scenes we want to shoot to add some character development to the existing short.
We hope to finance those scenes with this Kickstarter. Each scene will cost about $15,000. If we meet our goal, we'll shoot one. If we hit our stretch goals of $30,000 or $45,000, we'll shoot the others.
I supported your original Kickstarter. Am I required to support this one? Does this affect my rewards?
We know those are the big questions, and the answers are "No," and "No." You can ignore this Kickstarter project completely, and all of the rewards you have coming from our first campaign will still ship to you as soon as the film is completed.
We aren't asking anyone who contributed to the original campaign for additional money. We're only asking you to help us spread the word about this new venture. However, if you do want to help us make the film even bigger and better, we've included several rewards that are designed as "add-ons" for backers with original project packages.
We've added a few new rewards for this Kickstarter, as well as some of the favorites from the first campaign. As mentioned above, we've also included several rewards for original backers to add on to their original packages without duplicating items or costs.
These are some of the great items available:
• THE COMIC-BOOK ONE-SHEET — Popular comic book artist Satine Phoenix will be creating an original piece depicting the main characters in a “comic book” rendering. The hardcopies of this poster will only be available here.
• MAP OF THE GREATER AMERICAS — The North America of Cowboys & Engines is home to five nations, three of which have been at war for nearly two decades. This gorgeous poster depicts the Greater Americas of our alternate 1876, and shows each character’s journey during the course of the film.
• THE WORLD THAT NEVER WAS: THE ALTERNATE HISTORY OF COWBOYS & ENGINES — We've written a short history of this world, detailing the alternate timeline and how events changed to create our era of anachronism. This softcover edition is a Kickstarter-only printing.
• PRESS KIT — Our complete pressbook with photos, productions notes, headshots, cast & crew bios and more. We’re printing these for promotional purposes, and to hand out at screenings and festivals. The only place you can get them directly is Kickstarter.
• ORIGINAL PROPS & WARDROBE — From goggles to guns to Guinivere’s heat blaster, we’ll be making a limited number of original props, set decorations and wardrobe pieces available to our Kickstarter supporters. These will be available on a first-come, first served basis, so the sooner you jump in, the more choices you have.
• CAST & CREW JACKET — Originally available only as an upgrade to existing backers, these awesome, embroidered cast & crew jackets will only ever be available on Kickstarter.
We were very lucky to assemble and amazing cast of genre film legends to work on Cowboys & Engines. Watching these incredibly skilled actors work was one of the great joys of making the film.
Richard Hatch — (Cade Ballard) Although he starred in the show as Lieutenant Apollo for only one season, Richard Hatch became the ambassador of cult sci-fi series Battlestar: Galactica. After years of trying to resurrect interest in the idea, through novels and a self-produced short film, Hatch was rewarded with a recurring part as Tom Zarek, President Rosslyn's counterpart on the show’s incredibly popular Sci-Fi Channel reboot.
Libby Letlow — (Guinivere Turner) Libby began her professional acting career as series regular Patsy on the television series Masked Rider. Since then, she’s filled different roles in a variety of film and stage projects, including producing the indie film Maro, appearing in the independent thriller iKllr, and working as the lead puppeteer in DOMA Theatre Company’s insanely popular Los Angeles run of Avenue Q.
Walter Koenig — (Professor Nicholas Timéon) Actor, director, screenwriter, novelist, acting professor, and comic book creator; Walter Koenig’s career has spanned nearly five decades, touching every corner of the entertainment industry. While he is best known and loved for his role as Pavel Chekov in the original Star Trek series and the first seven films, he was also a fan favorite in his appearances on Babylon 5 as Psi Cop Alfred Bester.
Malcolm McDowell — (Dr. Clay) You know him as Alex in A Clockwork Orange, H.G. Wells in Time After Time, and Soran in Star Trek: Generations. A true film icon, Malcolm McDowell has done it all, from Tank Girl to Blue Thunder, Robot Chicken to The Mentalist. As Dr. Clay in Cowboys & Engines, he's chilling, insane, and riveting.
With Cowboys & Engines, we really captured lightning in a bottle. The production team worked incredibly well together. The cast was better than we could have hoped for. The final result looks amazing, and the teaser trailer posted above is just the tiniest taste of the awesome yet to come.
Listed below are some of the people who made it happen, and who will come together to shoot our new scenes.
- Executive Producers: Michael Hemmerich, Melissa Kimbro
- Producers: James Deen, Kevin Alexander Heard, Charles Mead, Paul Pilcher
- Writer/Director: Bryn Pryor
- Director of Photography: Hollywood Heard
- Visual Effects Supervisor: Ryan Carter
For a complete list of the cast & crew, check our IMDB page HERE.
For more info about the film, the production, and the reward packages, check out the Cowboys & Engines Website.
Risks and challenges
We have a finished film in the can, so our risks with this Kickstarter are very minimal. If we get our funding, we'll shoot the additional scenes; if not, then we'll take the outstanding movie we've made, and make the best pitch we can with that.
Our biggest challenge is to recapture the same magic. Our shoot was really incredible, and we want to try to achieve that same level of quality. Everyone involved is hugely invested in this project, so our hopes for lightning striking twice are very high.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)