Voyage of Fortune's Star — a 7th Sea cRPG
The highest-funded TTRPG of all time sails off the tabletop in our story-driven, single player cRPG.
Many thanks to our original backers! You'll hear from us again!
Please visit www.7thSeaRPG.com for the latest news.
Voyage of Fortune’s Star is our single-player, 3D, story-driven, computer roleplaying game based in the rich world of Théah as presented in John Wick’s tabletop roleplaying game, 7th Sea. We have a team of experienced storytellers, programmers and designers to bring you 10+ hours of incredible experience.
Here's the story we want to tell!
Now captain of the feared pirate vessel Fortune’s Star, former Vodaccan duelist Anzolo Zorzi has a fearsome reputation, a loyal crew, and one of the fastest blades in all of Théah. But he also has a heart of gold. When he arrives at the scene of a naval battle to claim plunder from both winner and loser but salvages only an enormous stone sarcophagus that floats on the water, Anzolo has no notion that he’s embarked on the strangest—and most dangerous—voyage of Fortune’s Star. Anzolo expects to recover gold and jewels from the sealed tomb, but instead discovers a most surprising and long-missing clue that may allow the renowned Kreuzritter to defeat the legendary Schattenmann, a scissors-fingered creature that terrorizes that forests of Eisen. Unfortunately for Anzolo, and perhaps for the knights as well, the Kreuzritter require the pirate’s assistance.
Fortunately, Anzolo has a guardian angel looking over him. Magdalena Salvaza is the Fate Witch currently entrusted with the generations-old duty of waiting for this moment. The Fate Witches of her line expected to guide someone of greater character than Anzolo Zorzi, but Magdalena’s confidence in the pirate captain grows as she learns about his past and as she observes him in the present. Even as Anzolo faces dangers, forces allied with the Schattenmann understand that defeating Magdalena is the true key to foiling the Kreuzritter’s ancient plans.
Can we make this game for "only" $200k?
My partners at Fuel.Tech wanted to provide a specific example of how we can stretch a smaller amount of money quite a long ways given 3D resources that are available. and below I present the result. They purchased a "dungeon" asset for $80 and spent about eight hours lightly modifying it before introducing our model of Anzolo Zorzi to create a gameplay scene. This process allows the team to avoid a lot of the heavy-lifting of building core assets and instead concentrate of modifying the asset to suit the specific needs of the game and story.
This is the brief description of the scene that Fuel.Tech opted to build:
Already in possession of a strange sarcophagus and its even stranger contents, Anzolo Zorzi, pirate captain of Fortune’s Star, seeks a Syrneth artifact in the bowels of Iskandar.
Here's the resulting gameplay clip:
Here are some key elements of Voyage of Fortune’s Star:
- You primarily experience the story in the role of the captain of Fortune’s Star, Anzolo Zorzi.
- We hope to add the overlapping storyline of the Fate Witch, Magdalena Salvaza, so that for sequences of the game she becomes the primary character under your control.
- You have a large crew of pirates and will be able to direct their actions as well.
- Whether you experience it only from Anzolo’s point-of-view or if we can also add Magdalena’s narrative, the story is our priority. Experienced, award-winning writers will craft a rich, dialogue-based narrative.
- The game is built in Unreal Engine 4 and features action RPG gameplay.
- The game is available as a digital release, as well as in standard and collector’s boxed editions loaded with extras.
- We’re initially developing versions for PC, Mac and Linux.
- Digital release is to backers via Steam and also DRM-free.
- We have many language options planned, including English, Italian, French, German and Spanish.
Update #1 reveals more about the Schattenmann!
Update #2 shows our game budget and provides more information about Fuel.Tech, the team who will produce the game.
Update #3 discusses the expertise of my partners at Fuel.Tech and why we CAN make this game. And there's a great new gameplay video too!
Update #4 talks about the crew of Fortune's Star and diversity in 7th Sea TTRPG and our cRPG.
Our first update also introduced six Social Stretch Goals to gain exclusive in-game items for all backers. Here is the progress on those:
- Share the Facebook post: 122/100 (SUCCESS!)
- Backers only will receive a Zephyr Bag in-game item!
- Keep sharing! NEXT 122/200
- Like Nocturnal Media on Facebook: 1411/1500 (getting close!)
- Share the Google+ post: 31/100
- Join our Google+ Community: 64/200
- Retweet my Twitter message: 42/100
- Follow me on Twitter: 868/1000
There are new $22 ROLL DEM BONES and $40 SPECIAL BONES pledges that rewards you with the digital game plus one of each of the three custom dice shipped to you. Note that you may now choose between sets of 3d6 or 3d10. The dice are pictured in Add-Ons below.
The two digital-only pledges for our project — Digital and Special Digital — offer two options: “First Mate” & “Crew”. The “First Mate” pledges offer a slight discount over the “Crew” pledges. We offer the “First Mate” pledge as thanks for those who back our project until it has funded. Once our project is funded, the First Mate pledges will be closed.
Why offer a First Mate pledge? There’s a reason for you and a reason for us.
For you: It’s thanks for your early support for our project. Some Kickstarter projects offer an “early bird” reward, so this is a bit like that. We want everyone who helps us reach our funding goal to be considered an “early bird” and this method allows us to do that.
For us: Early momentum is key on Kickstarter. If offering a discount on pledges to early supporters helps convince you to support the project, then it’s worth offering the discount so that the project has a chance to grow even bigger over the course of the month.
7th Sea was reborn as a tabletop roleplaying game here on Kickstarter earlier this year. It was a huge success. In fact, it became Kickstarter’s highest-funded, most-backed tabletop RPG of all time. The game is one of swashbuckling and intrigue, exploration and adventure, taking place on the continent of Théah, a land of magic and mystery inspired by our own Europe. Players take the roles of heroes thrown into global conspiracies and sinister plots, exploring ancient ruins of a race long vanished, and protecting the rightful kings and queen of Théah from murderous villains.
Théah is made up of a number of Nations, each with its own character and personality. The concept of “nation” is new to Théah, only emerging in the last century or so. National identity has also begun to spread among the people, making culture more than just an expression of the monarch’s tastes. The current Nations of Théah represent the whole of the civilized world—as far as the Théans are concerned.
- Avalon: Green and enchanted, this union of three kingdoms has recently risen to the forefront of Théan politics.
- Castille: Headquarters of the Vaticine church, this fertile Nation recently fought off an invasion—their western neighbor, Montaigne, wished to seize their rich farmlands and plentiful mines.
- Eisen: A proud land recovering from a thirty-year war. A Nation of veterans, Eisen is also a land of horrors let loose by three decades of mass murder.
- Highland Marches: To the north of Avalon are men and women made strong by a harsh land. The Highlanders’ greatest desire is freedom at any cost.
- Inismore: The Emerald Isle is the rebellious, misbehaving little brother of Avalon, led by a king who may be immortal and is more than certainly mad.
- Montaigne: One of Théah’s most powerful Nations, leading the world in art and culture even as its Emperor crushes the populace beneath his thumb.
- Sarmatian Commonwealth: Two Nations bound by a single crown, the Commonwealth is a democratic monarchy where all people are equal, even kings.
- Ussura: A Nation torn between two ambitious rulers who will do anything to drag their Nation into the future, no matter the cost.
- Vestenmennavenjar: A Nation of raiders and warlords who conquered the world’s economy by hammering their swords and spears into coins.
- Vodacce: The former cradle of civilization (and Anzolo's home!), now split between seven Merchant Princes whose complex schemes reach every corner of the world.
Swashbuckling and Sorcery
7th Sea is a world where an order of musketeers guards the lives of the nobility, but also the virtues of honor, integrity and fraternity. It is a world of sharp blades and sharp wits, where a cutting retort can be just as deadly as a sword’s point. It is also a world where the nobility control the most powerful force of all—sorcery. Powerful magic pulses in the hearts of the noble class, power that was given to them long ago. Some assume the forms of animals. Others rip through the fabric of reality or play with the forces of Fate itself. The hard edge of steel coupled with the shadowy substance of sorcery: that is the world of 7th Sea.
Piracy and Adventure
The pirates of 7th Sea are united by a common cause: freedom. Freedom from the tyranny of sorcerers and kings. Freedom from the shackles of the Church of the Prophets. Freedom from greedy landowners and moneylenders. Pirates sail where they want, take what they please and live a life of freedom unknown by any other in the world of 7th Sea.
Diplomacy and Intrigue
In the world of 7th Sea, kingdoms are on the verge of becoming countries. In the courts of kings and queens, diplomats dressed in powdered wigs, lace and silk try to resolve the disputes of Nations. A swelling tide of nationalism grows in the hearts of men and women, and a new kind of conflict—covert warfare—is finding its way into the world.
Archaeology and Exploration
Beyond the kingdoms of Théah lie the ruins of an ancient civilization, lost centuries ago: the vast cities of Lost Syrneth. Who knows what ancient secrets and treasures remain, unseen by human eyes, untouched by human hands? Men and women who call themselves “archaeologists” unearth these treasures and bring them back to noble hands.
Voyage of Fortune’s Star is first and foremost a story experience. We’ll follow Anzolo Zorzi, a former duelist who is now Captain of Fortune’s Star. Arriving at the scene of a naval battle, Anzolo and his crew are astonished to see a stone sarcophagus churn to the surface of the ocean. Clearly valuable, impenetrable to instruments at sea, and too heavy to load, the sarcophagus is set in tow. Thus begins the next chapter of Anzolo’s life…and sets in motion the centuries-old duty that has fallen to Magdalena Salvaza, a Fate Witch far-removed yet ever-present.
Anzolo will discover that the sarcophagus offers not treasure but rather responsibility, but as a scoundrel with a heart-of-gold he’s unable to set aside the task that falls to him. Dark forces descend upon him almost immediately, but if the Fate Witch who watches over him—and who gradually falls in love with him—upholds her ancient vows, Anzolo will have an opportunity to defeat an ages old evil that has stalked the land.
The legendary Schattenmann is an emaciated monster that stands twenty feet tall and inflicts horror on men and women who defile the forests of Eisen where it dwells. It seeks to inflict even more harm as the powers that have held its evil in check are fading. Even the renowned Kreuzritter (Crusaders) are caught off guard by the beast’s sudden ferocity and brazen, horrific attacks on areas into which it never ventured before.
One of the Kreuzritter delivers a message by most unexpected means to Anzolo and steers the pirate captain onto a heroic path he’s never before embraced. But as the bearer of hard-won knowledge, confronted by a murderous and seemingly unstoppable foe, and seeking to impress the strange dark woman who manipulates events to his favor, Anzolo embarks on his strangest voyage yet.
Built as a single-player experience, Voyage of Fortune’s Star features Diablo-style point-and-click gameplay, though the play experience as a whole is story-driven. The story unfolds on board the Fortune’s Star as well as at several different ports and inland locations. The number of locations as well as some specifics of gameplay will be determined by the final funding total of this project, but players will be able to assume control of a single character such as Anzolo Zorzi or other members of the crew. In addition, some sequences will require the player to control many characters at once in order to survive a threat or unravel a puzzle.
- Below is the clip featured in the project video of Anzolo battling wraiths on the deck of Fortune's Star.
While our game emphasizes the story, we’re not relying on that alone! The design team has vast tech experience from designing games and apps for entertainment and Fortune 500 companies. Voyage of Fortune’s Star will be a 3D graphics-rich game built in Unreal Engine 4. We’re already building and collecting assets. More samples of this preliminary work can be seen in the project video.
Minimum System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP SP3/Vista/Windows 7 & 8
- Processor: x86-compatible 1.8GHz or faster processor
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory
- DirectX: Version 9.0
- Storage: 10 GB available space
- OS: OSX 10.6
- Processor: Intel-based Macs only (x86-compatible, 1.8GHz or better)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: Modern 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory
- Storage: 10 GB available space
Important note: Minimum system requirements are subject to change as hardware and software evolves over the next year or so.
The game will feature original music by the team of Steve Sechi (Composer/Sound Designer) and Kostas Varotsis (Orchestrator/Conductor/Composer). Steve has composed and produced over 200 albums of music for production libraries in the US, UK, and Canada and his music has been used on hundreds of TV shows and films. Kostas has won the Beethoven Award (Bonn, Germany) and a Gold Medal for Orchestral Conducting (Reims, France). Together they have recorded live orchestral projects, which may bear on a future stretch goal!
We're featuring music by Steve and Kostas in our project video. Here...take a listen:
- Here's a version with the choir:
- And here's a version without choir:
There’s almost no wrong answer to this. Because pirates! Because adventure and romance! Because it’s new (again)! And the truth is just as simple as these examples. Here are the three key reasons we selected 7th Sea as the property on which to base what we hope will be the first of many computer roleplaying games:
1. 7th Sea is a Tabletop Roleplaying Game. Not only is TTRPG something Stewart knows a lot about, but it’s also a proven basis for successful translation to computer games, e.g. Shadowrun Returns.
2. Stewart Wieck and John Wick. Sometimes it’s who you know! The fact that John knows Stewart and that John and his team trust Stewart and his team with this great property is not only a compliment, but also essential to produce a game of this size. John Wick Presents has already been a most gracious licensing partner.
3. The 7th Sea TTRPG had a *huge* Kickstarter. We absolutely hope to convince a large number of the more than 11,000 backers of the TTRPG to support our cRPG project.
Stewart Wieck founded White Wolf in the time when desktop publishing programs were very new to market. Suddenly, publishers on a shoestring budget could produce professional publications. We’ve entered a similar era for digital entertainment. Sure, there are really big budget games that remain beyond the reach of new and small computer game companies, but suddenly a crew of talented and dedicated individuals can create games that used to be the province of larger companies and larger budgets only.
Kickstarter itself has narrowed this gap even further. We’re not creating a $50 million blockbuster game, but even risking the several hundred thousand dollars required to create the game we envision remains a tremendous burden. Your Kickstarter pledge removes this risk and allows us to focus on making the best game possible knowing that we have an established audience waiting for the game.
Your pledge means we don’t have to be a developer beholden to a game publisher. Your pledge makes you the publisher! As any game creator will tell you, we make games because we want people to play them, and if our players are also our publishers, then we’re paying complete attention to exactly the right set of people.
We are infinitely grateful to you for the faith you place in us with your pledge. Stewart has delivered on countless products throughout a thirty year career in gaming. The designers at Fuel.Tech have delivered multi-million dollar projects to some of the world’s largest corporations.
The cRPG pledge levels at SPECIAL DIGITAL and above all include these two backer-only packages of bonus character moves and animations:
- Combat Moves Package — This is an assortment of a dozen bonus moves for Anzolo Zorzi. Execute these acrobatic attacks to achieve special results. We may add more moves as well as moves for other characters as stretch goals.
- Motion-Capture Package — We’ll fly John Wick and other special guests to Houston to join Stewart Wieck and any backers who pledge at BOATSWAIN and higher for the opportunity for a green screen motion-capture session. All of these moves from zany to well-considered (perhaps including Walking the Plank) will become character animations available within the game and are included as rewards for everyone who pledges at SPECIAL DIGITAL or higher.
The pledge levels to the right do not offer every possible permutation of digital and physical rewards that you may desire. Therefore, please feel free to add an the amount to your pledge for any of these “Add Ons”. To keep things simpler after the project, please only include digital add-ons for digital-only pledge levels. If your pledge level includes physical rewards, then you may add any of these rewards. (Note that physical rewards always include the digital versions too.)
- You’ll tell us the exact Add-Ons that you want in the survey later.
Figure Scale: The Anzolo Zorzi and Magdalena Salavaza figures will be pre-painted 32mm figures while the Schattenmann figure (representing a 20-foot tall beast that roams the forests of Eisen) will be more than 3x that tall!
Buried Treasure is a special Add-On available as digital-only or as a physical reward. Every other month for twelve months following the release of Voyage of Fortune’s Star we’ll create a treasure map and a story hook regarding how Anzolo Zorzi comes into possession of the map. Follow the map and clues in-game to discover bonus loot and additional game encounters. The physical version of this reward is a special leather scroll case (each one unique) in which we’ll ship six sheets of parchment on which you may print the map that you receive digitally.
Voyage of Fortune’s Star becomes a reality when the total of all backer pledges reaches $200k. If we continue to gain support for the project after the game is funded then we will use the additional funds to add to the game. More story. More features. More music. With enough support we’ll even add completely new types of gameplay options, like VR. Everything added by stretch goals is at no additional cost to you!
All the physical rewards in this project ship “customs-free” to Europe, Canada and Australia/New Zealand. This means we’ll ship them to you from distribution centers within those economic zones. Since we’ll pay the fees for these rewards when we ship to the distribution centers, you’ll owe nothing extra when you receive your package.
We’re collecting the same shipping amount from everyone who pledges for a physical reward. This means we’re collecting the same amount whether you live in the USA or New Zealand. Obviously, though, it will cost us a lot more to ship to the latter. We’re doing this for two main reasons:
- Shipping charges may go up in the year from now until we’re ready to send your rewards.
- We don’t know exactly how much all of these rewards will weigh, so it’s difficult to make an estimate even at current shipping rates.
We’ll collect any additional shipping due when we send surveys for the project. That’s when you’ll tell us about the add-ons you want as well as provide your shipping address. We expect that the amount we’re charging now means nothing more will be due from backers in the USA, but everyone outside the USA will owe a bit more, from about +$5 in Canada to +$40 for a destination like Brazil.
Risks and challenges
Stewart Wieck has been in gaming since he began as an RPG freelancer in the mid-1980s and soon thereafter founded White Wolf in 1986. He was an owner of White Wolf for twenty years and during that time White Wolf delivered hundreds of tabletop game projects and licensed various World of Darkness properties to computer game companies.
Fuel.Tech has created dozens of large scale projects for many of the world's largest corporations and as FuelFX was ranked among the Inc. 500 fastest-growing private companies in 2013. They are accustomed to delivering quality products on time.
Still, every project has risks and where tech is concerned we don't want to downplay the possibility that something doesn't work as planned. However, this funded project *will* deliver a quality product and we will endeavor to do so by the deadline.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)