Tiny Legacies is a sourcebook for the incredible Tiny Supers role-playing game by Gallant Knight Games! We here at Kyoudai Games were involved in the playtesting stage for Tiny Supers and we loved it so much, we had to get a license to work on our own ideas for it! Tiny Supers is a minimalist superhero role-playing game using the Tiny D6 ruleset that allows you to create almost any kind of character you can imagine and have fast, fun play that doesn't bog down when combat starts. You need a copy of Tiny Supers to use Tiny Legacies, and also just because it's incredibly awesome.
More than anything, Tiny Legacies is a love letter to the world of comic books and superhero role-playing games. It is, first and foremost, a toolbox to help Game Masters create their own worlds and campaigns. Every step along the way, we show how we've done those things and created our own world, which we call the Legacy Universe. The Legacy Universe is shaped by the tropes of the various ages of comics, from the Golden Age to the Modern Age, and reflects them accordingly; from the two-fisted heroes of the Golden Age to the dark bitter anti-heroes of the Iron Age, the Legacy Universe has it all.
Tiny Legacies is completely written, and all art has been ordered, received, and approved. The book is in layout as you read this. As soon as the Kickstarter ends and the funds are transferred, your rewards will be made available immediately. No waiting! While layout is still underway, and thus we can't give you a final page count, the text is roughly 30,000 words in length and, with the art density we have planned, should come it at somewhere around 100 pages, give or take. Once layout is complete, the text goes to Gallant Knight Games for review, so the final content could be tweaked a but, but currently the book breaks down into chapters like this:
- Chapter One: Foundations discusses the origins of superhumans in your campaign world, and how to use the various origins found in Tiny Supers. It also discusses the differences of the different Ages in comics, and how to use them to create a timeline. The Legacy Universe timeline is included!
- Chapter Two: Common Concepts is all about how the world changes with superhumans in it. How do governments respond? What does the public think? How do corporations and criminals react to these things? Is magic real? Are aliens?
- Chapter Three: Roles of Heroes & Teams takes the common concepts behind major teams and breaks them down into how they interact wit the world. Who are the World's Finest? What teams operate behind the scenes? Are solo heroes appreciated or hunted? Again, there are lots of individuals from the Legacy Universe included, to be used in whatever way you see fit!
- Chapter Four: Cowardly & Superstitious Lot is fun because what good are heroes without the bad guys? Just like the previous chapter examines the role of heroes, this chapter discusses what villains are like, including their motivations, ideologies, and whether they think of themselves as villains at all! More sample characters abound!
- The Appendix covers all the new mechanics generated as a result of the stuff from the first few chapters! A few new powers, rules for new types of weaknesses, and mechanics to help you capture the flavor of the different Comic Ages, if that's your thing, are all here!
With Tiny Legacies predicted to be roughly 100 pages with a predominantly black and white interior, our plan is that it will be commercially available at a price of $12 for the PDF, $18 for a print-on-demand hard copy, and $22 for both. When you back, you are getting either the Tiny Legacies book in PDF, you are receiving a voucher that allows you the get a print-on-demand copy of the book at cost (current estimates place this at roughly $5, which pays the printer; Kyoudai Games does not get any of this), or both! With that in mind, here's what kind of discount you'll be getting as a Kickstarter participant!
- $10 Digital Hero - You get the Tiny Legacies PDF!
- $12 Street-Level Hero - You get Tiny Legacies in PDF and an at-cost POD copy!
- $20 Champion of the City - All Digital All the Time! You get Tiny Legacies in PDF and you get all our unlocked Stretch Goals in PDF as well! With our projected pricing for Tiny Legacy and its supporting PDFs, this will be cost effective when our second Stretch Goal is unlocked!
- $25 World's Finest - You get Tiny Legacies in PDF and an at-cost POD copy, plus you get all our unlocked Stretch Goals in PDF form! This becomes cost effective as soon as the first Stretch Goal is unlocked.
- $40 Cosmic Crusader - You get it all! Tiny Legacies in PDF and an at-cost POD copy, as well as PDFs of all our stretch goals and at-cost PODs of those as well! This aggressive pricing means that it becomes more cost-effective than buying our releases as soon as the second Stretch Goal is unlocked!
Again, please remember that you need a copy of Tiny Supers in order to use Tiny Legacies. This is a supplemental sourcebook, not the core rulebook. That's already available!
What's a campaign without Stretch Goals? We're trying to keep this very simple. Some of these will already be written by the time the Kickstarter ends, but the need for art and layout means that we'll keep a reasonable date for release to make sure no one is disappointed.
Each of our Stretch Goal products is intended to be at least 16 page in length, with a retail cost of $5 for the PDF or $10 for the PDF/POD combination. And they look like this:
- $2,000: Hero & Villain Deck - At least twenty-five different Legacy Universe characters, both heroes and villains, in sturdy card form that you can stand up to use as visual aids in your sessions! Art on the front, stats on the back! Everyone wins! Estimated Release: August 2019
- $2,500: Corporate Heroes - It doesn't matter what kind of superhuman power you have, there's a way to make money with it. How would corporations react to superhumans, and perhaps more importantly, how would they try and exploit them for profit? A much more in-depth look at the subject with many different examples. Estimated Release: October 2019
- $3,000: To Protect & Serve - Brave men and women serve their country every day as soldiers, first responders, and law enforcement officials. What might that look like when some of them are superhumans? How would the United Nations feel about national teams? Let's find out! Estimated Release: December 2019
- $3,500: Superhuman Syndicates - That thing we mentioned earlier about making money with superhuman powers? Well, plenty of people with powers are content to go the easy route, and this is what it looks like. Syndicates, cartels, the evolution of the mafia, and more! Estimated Release: January 2020
- $4,000: Through the Veil - All things mysterious and otherworldly exist beyond the veil, whether they are realms of magic, alternate dimensions, or planets halfway across the galaxy. Everything you could imagine is contained here! Estimated Release: March 2020
- $4,500: A Guide to Crossover Events - What are comics without crossovers? Huge, world-shaking events! Heroes and villains fighting and cooperating! Foil-embossed holographic covers! Well... maybe not that last one. Estimated Release: April 2020
Please remember that all release dates for Stretch Goal products are tentative and, while we have tried to be extremely conservative to ensure that we can delivery on deadline if not before, there are always things that can cause delays. Like these guys, for example...
Although he's not part of the team that created Tiny Legacies, we really appreciate Alan Bahr letting us play with his amazing ruleset. Thanks, Alan!
Shawn Carman has been reading comic books since the second grade, and ever since he starting playing games, he's been looking for that one perfect game that suits his style, and Tiny Supers is it! He's been designing heroes and worlds for decades and now it's all about to escape into the public eye. His previous works include a decade-long stint as the writer for Legend of the Five Rings for AEG, publishing Thunderscape in all its forms for Kyoudai Games, and the recent Infinity's Edge Kickstarter!
Derrick Thomas is a professional illustrator who's worked for a variety of different publishing groups. It was his work for Blackwyrm Games that brought him to Kyoudai Games' attention, and he's the only person we wanted illustrating our superhero magnum opus!
Robert Denton is a professional graphic designer whose gaming credentials are vast and varied, and far too long to include here. As fate would have it, he's the man who created the stunning visual layout for Tiny Supers, so of course we wanted to have him working on this project for us!
Risks and challenges
Kyoudai Games has had three prior Kickstarters. The first two were very much a learning experience, but we've taken care to treat our backers with respect at every turn, and we try to communicate effectively throughout the process. Our most recent Kickstarter is on time and may deliver early. With the core book for this campaign already completed, the only issue will be the creation of any unlocked stretch goals, but we have key personnel in place to make that happen. The risks associated with this Kickstarter campaign are as minimal as we are able to make them.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (11 days)