Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival (Canceled)
Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival (Canceled)
Shadow Gangs aims to revive the unique gameplay and overall flavour of top 80's ninja arcade action hits
Shadow Gangs aims to revive the unique gameplay and overall flavour of top 80's ninja arcade action hits Read more
About this project
Stay tuned!, rendez vous at http://www.shadowgangs.com for updates!
Shadow Gangs is not dead, there is a new better, bigger version being developed now, that will have all the enhancement planned for this game.
There will be a new final Kickstarter soon, 4 to 6 months from now.
Best regards and big, sincere thank you to all backers.
- 2D side scrolling platform beat' em up action game
- Inspired from the 80's action, martial arts and ninja movies
- Follows the steps of the best arcade games of 80's era (like Shinobi, Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja, Shadow Warriors, Vigilante, Double Dragon etc...)
- Aims to revive the unique gameplay and overall flavour of top 80's arcade hits
Please vote if you would like to see this game on Steam. This might be the last chance to get Shadow Gangs greenlighted. Currently it is still far from being greenlit, sitting at 27% from the top 100.
- Fast, precise gameplay
- High quality graphics and art style
- Hand drawn sprites and animations
- Memorable music
- HD graphics
- Challenging AI (Artificial Intelligence)
- Written in 100% C++
- Custom made engine
- Dan, the hero of Shadow Gangs can transform from UFC style fighter to a ninja
- Defeat the gang in New York towers, Verrasano bridge, Eiffel tower, mount Fuji and more
- Locate and deliver all the hostages, recover cash and special stolen items
- Use special weapons and special powers (magic)
- Varied and intelligent enemies
- 3 levels of difficulty, easy, normal and hard
- Special bonus stage
- Different colours for the main character to choose from.
Dan's family was kidnapped by the Shadow Gangs crime organisation.
A world wide crime organisation who take hostages for ransom amongst other sorts of crime.
Dan will travel through different countries and iconic places to free his family and the many hostages of the Shadow Gangs, recover stolen money and a number of stolen items.
In Shadow Gangs you are playing the role of karate and ninja fighter Dan.
Dan is a mixed martial arts world champion, now he is not fighting for money or fame but for his freedom and the freedom of others, to save his family and other innocent people that have been kidnapped by the Shadow Gangs crime organisation.
Dan has the power to transform to a ninja, which he'll be able to do at the middle of each level. This will grant him extra abilities.
He will be able to use special weapons and perform magic attacks.
When in traditional fighter form, Dan has shurikens as weapons, and uses punches and kicks for melee attacks.
When in ninja form, Dan has extra abilities:
- Assault rifle (M16) instead of Shurikens
- Katana sword for melee attacks, deadlier than punches or Kicks
- Double jumps grant him access to places he can't reach while in fighter form
Aside from more levels, more enemy types, boss battles, more music, a bonus stage and in general more content, these are the artistic, sonic and technical enhancements that the full Shadow Gangs experience will have:
- More animation frames: Existing characters will get animation frames boosts where there is a perceived lack of smoothness. Death animations in particular. New characters to be developed won't suffer from this issue
- Special effects: More better looking special effects will be added, and existing ones greatly improved. For example gun flashes and bullets will look much better visually. Hit effects will be added, lots of explosions are to be expected etc...We'll make sure the special effects side of the game is a top priority.
- Fullscreen filters: Shaders to enable for example a retro looking low res scanline graphics for people that like it this way. In addition to many other shader types like those in Mame and other emulators.
- Sound effects: Existing sounds will be revised, and enhanced. New and better sounds added. We'll have more time and resources to make the sound effects of the game as great as possible.
- Destructible objects: Many more types will be added, and they will be specific to the level setting. They'll also hide special bonuses (and benefit from the special effects enhancements)
- Dan death animation: Dan death animation will be completed properly, he will die laying on the ground and not standing as in the demo. The reason it is this way in the demo is I didn't like the subsequent frames of the death animation that I got
- Enemies death: All enemies will lay on the ground after death before fading, with a possibility of keeping dead bodies forever on the scene (if it happens to look good)
- Hostages: No more one hostage type, there will be now a much wider variety of hostages, young, elderly, tied up prisoners, chained prisoners, blondes , brunettes etc...Dan will get a motivation boost!
- Moving platforms: from small platforms, to trains, cars, elevators and other surprises
- Attract mode: will be added to the start and main menu screens
- Gunman, man with knives and biker type: They will get completely redrawn by the same artist who did Dan and the ninjas. This is to keep the characters art consistent and also better looking.
- 5 missions, each mission has 4 levels, the 4th level is a boss level.
- More than 16 different enemy types (not including bosses)
- 5 bosses (includes Freddy)
- More than 12 distinct music tracks
- A bonus stage between missions
Special boot mode with controls and display for use in an arcade cabinet with a CRT monitor. More info at: BYOAC
Mission 1 New York:
- Broadway street
- Verrazano bridge
- Down Statue of Liberty
- Top of Statue of Liberty (samurai boss)
Mission 2 Paris:
- Latin street
- Underground Metro
- Eiffel tower
- Boss battle on top of Eiffel tower
Mission 3 China:
- Gobi desert train
- China street
- Temple hidden underground room boss battle
Mission 4 California:
- Standford university
- Death Valley
- Blue Oyster Bar
- Bar dancing boss battle (Freddy)
Mission 5 Japan :
- Big Buddha level
- Himeji Castle
- Mount Fuji
- Inside the mountain final boss battle
- One style bonus stage where you throw shurikens on targets to get bonuses (lifes, special weapons and magic).
Mission 6 Greece:
- Acropolis of Athens
- Temple of Zeus
- Boss battle with Zeus inside the temple.
- 3 extra Shadow Gangs music tracks
- 3 new enemy types (excluding Zeus)
- New end mission boss, Zeus.
- Pink suit for Dan in both forms (figher and ninja)
- American patterned flag suit for Dan in both forms (figher and ninja)
Aside from the shurikens and the assault rifle, Dan will be able to use two types of items: special weapons and magic.
These bonuses will be scattered around the level, mostly in destructible objects, and hidden places, sometimes out of reach until you transform to the ninja form who can do double jumps, and can also be found hidden with hostages.
Can be used by Dan when he needs more fire power, or to make a difficult situation more approachable.
Mine: help clear an area before you venture in, effective against walking gang members.
Grenade: effective especially when targeting many ground enemies who are close to each other.
Rocket launcher: clears your path of all enemies.
Battle drone: Ultimate pickup weapon, flying AI helper, that fires bullets on Dan enemies.
Magic attacks are more powerful than special weapons, and can help Dan overcome difficult situations (like being surrounded by enemies and or enemy fire).
Clock: Freeze all enemies for 10 seconds.
Acid rain: Death from above.
Apple: Physically throw enemies surrounding you some meters away to clear you from a dangerous situation.
Kanji attack: Flying Kanji characters that hit all enemies in your area.
The character above is inspired from an unused Shinobi arcade enemy.
You can see him in a Shinobi flyer here.
In Shadow Gangs, we will give him a role and he'll be part of the many new enemy types that will be available.
Other surprises will be:
- One hidden level
- Hidden secret special weapon
- Intricate scoring system
- Some levels will remind you some of the arcade classics mentioned earlier
- And more!
Project creator, programmer and designer.
An experienced game programmer who worked on many AAA titles.
Frece is the guy who knows best about art. He creates all the backgrounds graphics and does some marketing art as well.
He has a little daughter which he is pretty proud of, so he's a bit busy sometimes. But after all he is always there for the project.
(Note from Jack: Frece is the man, he helped turn Shadow Gangs fortunes.)
Serathus is a distinguished artist with a long experience working at Toei animation.
He'll be responsible of all Shadow Gangs character sprites and animations.
(Note from Jack: Very impressive artist, and simply put, Shadow Gangs will not be the same without him.)
Syncop is a lead guitarist and music composer, and had performed and still do in many rock and metal bands.
He'll do all the Shadow Gangs music tracks.
(Note from Jack: I had him in mind before starting Shadow Gangs, a top musician).
You can hear some of his creation here.
Alex has 2 years experience in the game industry.
He'll do all the Shadow Gangs illustrations, both marketing and in-game ones. There will be a lot of in-game illustrations in Shadow Gangs, mainly mission preludes and end mission screens.
(Note from Jack: A good artist on the road to greatness).
Evgenij is an experienced artist in the game industry.
He will be responsible of the GUI, HUD, special effects and all the destructible objects.
(Note from Jack: A great artist and specialist in fixing art issues.).
Although not part of the team anymore, Toni's contribution was of big importance.
He's an ideas man with great knowledge of classic games.
Some destructible objects on the demo are his work, and if you wondered who does Dan's voice, it's Toni!
(Note from Jack: I am still thinking to get him back to Shadow Gangs in the future if possible.).
Risks and challenges
As a team, we streamlined our development process and are confident to deliver the quality product you are looking for.
But as any game development project, there may be unforeseen events that we may not have planned for, and could at worst lead to delays in delivering the completed product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)