Hi, I'm Rahdo!
Three years ago, on a whim, I grabbed my iPhone one afternoon and started recording gameplay runthroughs of my favorite board and card games, and uploading them to YouTube. And now I'm about to start my 4th year of filming! WOOHOO!!!
You can check out my series at
As a sampler, here's a playlist of some recent runthroughs I've done (click "playlist" in the top left to see a long list of video choices):
I make these videos primarily for fun, as a way of sharing my enthusiasm and passion for the boardgaming hobby, and helping like-minded board game geeks choose which of the myriad games on the market are right for them.
But as it happens, as of 2013, I've retired from full-time employment, and now, to be able to continue to produce runthrough videos, I need to raise funds to cover my operating expenses (game purchases, travel expenses to game conventions, and a salary to be able to stay devoted 100% to the show).
Fan Support Makes it all Possible
That's where you come in, because I receive no direct income for Rahdo Runs Through except for fan support in these yearly fund raising drives. I accept no payments from game developers for any game (retail or Kickstarter prototype) that I run through, and I don't turn on YouTube ads (because they're awful), so you folks are truly what keeps Rahdo running through! :)
So by backing this, my third RAHDO RUNS THROUGH Kickstarter campaign, you're funding my ability to continue to produce videos of all the latest, hottest games, ranging from the big games of the moment like Roll for the Galaxy and Star Wars Imperial Assault, to the soon to be released hits like Pandemic Legacy and Specter Ops.
In return for your donation, you have access to a variety of rewards, many of them revolving around the idea of helping to shape the direction of the Rahdo Runs Through series. To me, as a backer, it only makes sense that you should have a say in what direction the video series will take, and if there's one thing you'll soon find out about me, it's that I'm very engaged with my viewers, answering every question posted, ever! (famous last words)
Here's a list of the various rewards and how they work, spread amongst the different backing levels.
- Microbadges - every level backer will get a microbadge to apply to their Boardgamegeek account (a 20 cent value!). Of course, if you don't have a Boardgamegeek account, this won't do much for you, but it's still on offer! :)
- Voting for Videos - every month, 3 games covered by Rahdo Runs Through will be voted on by Kickstarter backers, from my ever-growing collection of games. The higher the voting level you pledge at, the more games you can vote on (yes, you can buy votes, I'm totally corrupt!). This voting system will run for the next full 12 months, so depending on your backing level, you can help me choose 12, 24 or 36 games to cover! FULL VOTERs and above will even get to choose what Top 10 video I film every month over Year 4!
- Director's Chair - at certain backing levels, you will be able to specify games of your choice (again, from my collection) to be filmed, regardless of the popular vote, so if you really want to see a game covered, this is your chance to make it so!
- Buying Power - at the FULL VOTER level and above, backers will actually be able to vote for the games that are bought with the funds raised by this campaign. You're putting in money after all, so why not have a voice in how it's spent? Votes can be cast for any game on this request list. Roughly 1 out of every 5 games bought with the fund will be chosen by Kickstarter backers in this way. Also, FULL VOTER backers and above will get a 10% discount on any game they buy in my twice yearly (sometimes thrice yearly) game auctions!
- Co-Hosting - if you'd like to appear in a Rahdo Runs Through video as a co-host, now's your chance! We'll record a split screen discussion/debate/argument/love-fest between you and me as part of my 'final thoughts' on a game of your choosing, using Google Hangouts, and it will be posted on YouTube. Instant stardom!
- Prototype Testing - if you've got a game that you're developing and you'd like some feedback about how it plays with 2 players, you can now get a direct Skype call with me after a 3-5 hour play session of your game. You'll have to arrange delivery of the prototype, or alternately we can maybe arrange a play session at Essen.
- Dice Dice Dice! - this year, we've got 31 sets of custom Rahdo Runs Through themed dice from the fine folks at Toystorian. There are two options: 30 sets of three dice (red, blue and green)...
...and one set of 7 hand-painted dice!
- Custom Glass Art - my wife is a talented professional glass artist, and has offered to create a beautiful and completely unique reward especially for some higher backer levels. It could be a pair of earrings, a pendant, or even a game piece as can be seen at http://www.jenefer.net. She'll work in your preferred colors, and we'll ship it to you free of charge, anywhere in the world!
- "Lucky Dip" Game Marker - if a custom piece is out of your price range, for less than half the price, you can take a chance on a randomly selected marker from Jen's current in-stock collection of singles. These are all made with the same love and care as the custom pieces, but like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get (though Jen will quiz you about your preferred colours before she sends a piece!).
- Glass Lover - for the true glass aficionados, you can get a matching sets of player markers, again in your own custom choice of colours, either in the classic pawn style:
...or in more esoteric creature styles (dogs, cats, penguins, dragons, aliens, meeples, or almost anything you can imagine):
...or matching jewellery sets composed of your choice of 2 of the following:
pendant / earrings / corded bracelet
- MEGA GLASS - if you're really looking for an amazing glass opportunity, you can get a full necklace, or 2 bracelets, or a set of 20(!!) player markers, perfect for all your worker placement needs! All made to your custom specifications.
- Stickers! - anyone who backs at a level where they receive physical items in the mail (glass or dice or both) will also receive a special thank you from me and Jen in the form of an official "RRT 2015 KS Backer" sticker. It can be signed by one or both of us, or (space permitting) a special hand written message of your choosing can be included!
THE STRETCH GOALS
Okay, so the target goal for this year basically covers all the new games I'll be acquiring to film, another trip to Essen for more convention coverage and a basic salary for me and Paulo Renato (the fellow who fact checks and annotates all my vids... Paulo is l'awesome and keeps me honest!). But, if we go above and beyond the target, below is some additional content that can be provided over the next 12 months!
Stretch Goal #1: Jen Vids! ($22,000)
[UNLOCKED!!!]In last year's campaign, a stretch goal was hit that covered my wife Jen's time and allowed her to step away from the glass torch and get in front of the camera to appear in 12 runthrough videos (roughly one each month). Well, she's once again offered to take the plunge if we hit this first stretch goal!
FYI, you can always check out http://jen.rahdo.com to find all of Jen's appearances to date!
Stretch Goal #2: Major Corrections! ($27,000)
[UNLOCKED!!!]Last year, I started recording extra videos where I corrected any major rules goofs I had made in runthroughs. To date, I've issued corrections for about 50 games or so, and you can see the output below (again, hit the "playlist" in the top left corner for the full list):
Now, I think this is a valuable tool for folks, but the way I was doing them was less than useful because it was often the case that viewers weren't aware of the existence of the correction at all! Also, it ended up taking a surprising amount of time, so I stopped doing it, relying solely on Paulo's excellent & witty annotation coverage! But of course, not everyone can see Paulo's annotations, depending on how they watch my videos!
So, if we hit this stretch goal, these correction vids will return, now actually filmed by Paulo himself (yay fresh blood!) in a much more user friendly way (where each game's correction video will be tied to the runthrough itself). Paulo & I are both excited about this one, so I'm really hoping we get this one done!
Stretch Goal #3: BGG.con ($32,000)
[UNLOCKED!!!]Gencon was the target destination for last year's convention travel stretch goal. Here's a playlist of the results:
This year, I'm aiming for BGG.con in November, in Dallas, Texas, where I'd attempt to provide the same sort of coverage. See you there, maybe?
Stretch Goal #4: LIVE PLAYS! ($34,000)
[UNLOCKED!!!]Jen makes a return to the camera, this time to allow us to have 6 live FULL playthroughs of games throughout the year, with Q&As as well! The games will be chosen by FULL VOTER and above backers, so this should be quite the wild ride. See update #5 for more details!
Stretch Goal #5: Podcasts ($36,000)
[UNLOCKED!!!]The next logical step in the evolution of Rahdo Runs Through would seem to be a series of podcasts, so let's give it a go! This would be a monthly show, with me pontificating on various boardgame related topics chosen by FULL VOTER backers. Jen will likely make some appearances if the topics are of interest to her, and I'd also try to get guest co-hosts as well (as I imagine folks can only listen to me talk for so long). These would be available via iTunes, but also viewable on YouTube, so those who don't listen to podcasts during their commute or while walking the beagles could opt to watch as well :)
Stretch Goal #6: Jen Ten ($36,500)
[UNLOCKED!!!]In year 4, I've committed do doing one top10 video per month (as chosen by FULL VOTER and above backers), and if we hit this stretch goal, Jen will appear in each of these top10 vids and opine on her #1 choice for that category, and we'll discuss the merits of her choice vs. mine! Should be fun :)
Risiken und Herausforderungen
I'm not really anticipating any particular challenges or risks - other than maybe laryngitis! Last year I was able to hit all of the backer's requests while still producing over 150 videos, and while I might be slowing down a tiny bit this year, I still fully expect to put out a high volume of videos for all to enjoy.Näheres zur Rechenschaftspflicht auf Kickstarter
- (23 Tage)