About this project
THEY’VE COME TO WARM YOU
The Jörgit’s home planet, Jöerg, is becoming too cold for them, but fortunately they’ve discovered a planet nearby which is rapidly heating up. They plan a mission to Earth and set out for the balmy Hawaiian Islands. During the expedition there is a mishap and they crash into the sea outside of Helsinki in the middle of winter. After making it to the city, they befriend Jenny and Joonas, a spunky young girl and her geeky musician father, who first mistake them for house gnomes, but later become their best friends.
Jörgits & the End of Winter is a novel in the tradition of Scandanavian children’s literature similar to the Moomin Trolls and Pippi Longstocking. It is a multilayered story that will appeal to both children and adults. In the story, we introduce pressing environmental issues through lovable aliens whose perspective on our world is delivered with humor and a smart cultural critique.
- Interactivity: The interactive elements in the story allow the reader to go deeper into the narrative and learn more about the characters and their environment. For example, through the Helsinki City Map we learn about key places in the city that the Jörgits visit.
- Illustrations: The Jörgits & the End of Winter novel has been illustrated over the last two years and has over 50 unique illustrations that include scenes from outer space to a fictional rendering of the author’s summer cottage in Ostrobotnia in Northern Finland.
- Social Media Integration: Each Jörgit has his own Twitter account. They are already tweeting about things they care about and pointing readers to extra information about their story. See Jens' tweets here.
- Soundscapes: Through the interactive soundscapes you can make music while exploring a scene from the book. The complete soundtrack is being specifically composed for the Jorgits & the End of Winter by a professional musician from the Indian Sonic Research Organization.
Scavenger Hunt: Many of the illustrations have hidden surprises which when found by the reader reveal fun facts and instructions for activities outside the book. Hint: in the third chapter you might find a special recipe for Finnish Gingerbread cookies.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Anders Sandell is a toy and children’s media designer living and working in Bangalore, India. Anders directs the Toy Lab at Srishti School of Art & Design where he continues to inspire students to tap into their playful side. Before moving to India, Anders worked as a freelance Interaction Designer in San Francisco where he helped design exhibits for ZEUM and worked on the Pasco Spark. Before that he studied how to make wacky stuff at the Interactive Telecommunications Program at NYU. In 2011 Anders founded the company Tank & Bear, whose first products include Bheema, a wooden craft toy and Khoya, an iPad app for children by the artist Shilo Shiv Sulemanrecently featured on TED.
WHAT YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL GO TOWARDS
Your funds will go towards the cost of producing Jörgits & the End of Winter iPad app. This includes:
- Ipad App Development (programming and technical implementation of all the cool ideas we’ve thought up), with help from our developer INKONIQ
- Working with a professional editor, Marilyn Fu, to make the story the best it can be
- Working with a professional musician from the Indian Sonic Research Organization to create an original soundtrack
If we make more than our funding goal, here are some of the other things we'd like to do:
- Animate the characters so they can come to life even more.
- Develop functionality for rich social media integration that allows collaboration between friends to solve mysteries relating to the villain's past.
- Develop the app for multiple platforms including the iphone, Kindle Fire, Android Tablets, and Android phones.
- Translate the novel into Finnish and Swedish.
At Tank & Bear we've been working away making Jörgit illustrations and toys for a long time…and now we're working on making Jörgit music too! As a result, we have tons of fun stuff to give away in return for your contribution. We start with digital wallpaper and move on to the Jörgits & the End of Winter iPad app, printed posters, a Limited Edition Helsinki City Poster, a CD of the soundtrack, character stencils, a handmade interactive Ilkka toy…and finally, a toy workshop extraordinaire with the master toy maker himself. Here's a peak at some of the goods:
Posters: Choose one of the three posters or take all three for a bit more. All posters are A3 size.
Coffee and Cake
Limited Edition Signed Helsinki City Map: This map will be specially created and printed for the Kickstarter campaign and signed by the author.
CD of the Jörgits & the End of Winter soundtrack: The soundtrack has been specifically composed for the iPad app,
Handmade Interactive Ilkka Plush Toy: Ilkka has an Arduino based operating system with an accelerometer that senses his position in space. He can change his eye color depending on his mood, so don't make him mad. Capacitive sensing detects when he is being petted and makes him "purr".
We are so honored and humbled to have made it this far already! We couldn't have done it without the continued support of our amazing family, friends and colleagues who have seen this project evolve over the last few years.
Support this project
- (27 days)