About this project
Why you need this
During the day, your body temperature fluctuates, moisture accumulates, odors develop, and you go through a wide range of motions -- nothing is constant. Currently, business clothing is unresponsive to a changing environment. We believe it needs to be.
TechCrunch: With Tech From Space, Ministry Of Supply Is Building The Next Generation Of Dress Shirts | Forbes: The Future of Dress Shirts is Here -- And It's Sweat-Free | Popular Science: MIT Alumni Bring Spacesuit-Tech to Temperature Regulating Dress Shirts | Huffington Post: 'Apollo' Dress Shirt of the Future...
To join our newsletter, visit our website: ministryofsupply.com
A fun update:
Key Features of Apollo Shirt
To start, we use a knit synthetic blend, instead of a woven cotton. That's the first step in achieving these results:
1) Heat management: Your temperature rises and falls many times throughout the day.Using the same technology that NASA uses in space suits, our proprietary blend of fibers, “Apollo” will literally control your body temperature. Imagine you're outside on a hot day. Apollo uses Phase-change Materials (PCMs) to pull heat away from your body and actually store it in the shirt - like a battery. This way, when you get back into your AC'ed office, the shirt will release the heat back to you and keep your skin at the temperature it should be at. The difference is noticeable, and can change your day. Ministry of Supply is literally bringing this technology down from space.
2) Moisture management: Your body naturally sweats throughout the day. Using an engineering-driven approach, our unique blend of fibers will wick moisture away from your body, keeping you dry -- in the hottest or tensest of situations.
3) Odor control: Your skin releases oils and other materials, which leads to bacteria. Bacteria is the leading cause of odor. By using an anti-microbial coating, as well as Silver threads, the Apollo shirt takes care of pesky odors.
4) Dynamic motion: All day long, you are moving. You walk briskly, sit down, stand up, climb stairs, shake hand -- and do thousands of movements you no longer notice. But we do. By using tests like Strain Analysis (see FAQ for more detail), and designing the shirt with your motion in mind, the Apollo shirt adapts to your movements -- it stays tucked in all day, and moves with your body rather than against it.
Because we use our proprietary high grade synthetic blend, the Apollo shirt is truly wrinkle free.
The Apollo shirt is also much more sustainable than your typical dress shirt:
- Unlike traditional dress shirts, we don’t use toxic chemical coatings like Formaldehyde (has been classified as a cancer-causing substance and is toxic for the environment) to achieve wrinkle-free status.
- Since our shirts are machine wash only, no need for the awful chemicals dry cleaners love.
- If you choose -- the shirts don’t need to be washed as often, saving some water and a few chemicals too!
Finally, we’re hugely supportive of manufacturing in the United States. Everything from the fabric to the packaging is made in the USA. Like recently successful Kickstarter project Flint and Tinder, we’re focused on bringing jobs to America.
Where we are
- The fabric is ready. Through over a dozen iterations / prototypes, we’ve found our secret sauce -- the proprietary Apollo blend of fibers. And it’s ready for production.
- Further, we’ve mastered the manufacturing (perfect fit, colors, and cuts). The pieces are all in place to make The Apollo shirt a reality.
- We have already manufactured and sold incredible, premium dress shirts (check out this article on us by Inc Magazine from February)-- 3 limited lines of dress shirts and undershirts -- so we know the process. It’s time to take it to the next level.
We’re down to the final barrier. We need your help to bring Apollo to life. The money will go towards covering the production of the proprietary raw materials, along with fixed and variable costs of making the shirts in the USA.
After the campaign, the Apollo Shirt will likely retail for $129, so Kickstarter is a great chance to get in early. * The Agent Shirt will likely be just under $100, for reference.
Our Rewards (feel free to combine these, or check out our packages):
$10 Reward: Stays + Field Notes.
$25 Reward: White Performance Base Layer. (Crew & V Neck)
$45 Reward: Black V-Neck Thermo-Regulatory Base Layer
$80 Reward: Standard Moisture-Wicking Agent Shirt.
$95 Reward: The Apollo Dress Shirt.
That’s the next step! When the campaign ends (if we are successful), we’ll send you a survey to complete, where you can let us know what size, cut and color you would like. In the survey, we’ll let you know the neck, sleeve and chest measurements of all the sizes.
Yep! Most tailors have no problem fitting these to your body -- if needed.
The shirt will be available in at least three colors: white, oxford blue and black -- more colors if we hit a higher target.
We will offer two cuts: slim and classic.
The shirts will be available in a range of sizes, from XS to XXL. When we send out the survey after the campaign (see below), we’ll let you know the neck, sleeve and chest measurements of all the sizes.
Don’t sweat it. We have no-hassle return policy, and we’ll gladly exchange your shirt for another size.
Strain analysis is a fancy way of figuring out just how 'stretchy' something really is. Specifically, it allows us to map out how the skin of your body moves. This lets us design a shirt that stays tucked and doesn't hold you back, literally.
The inspiration for the character Q in James Bond was drawn from a real person -- Charles Frasier-Smith - a designer of gadgetry for the WWII British Special Ops. His cover? The Ministry of Supply.
Our new shirts will use the same technology that NASA uses in its spacesuits. Pretty badass if we do say so ourselves!
Please add $25 to your pledge for international shipping (previously, we recommended $15 - so if you've already pledged, no need to change - just a switch going forward)
A favorite of ours, Tycho - check them out at http://tycho.bandcamp.com/
Not a problem at all! We will confirm your address with you right before we ship out so don't worry if you move over the next few weeks.
Currently, our fits are meant for men - but, we've had many women try out the fit (with a few alterations) and leave satisfied. As we mention above, it shouldn't be tough to find a tailor, so give it a shot!
All shirts are machine-washable (in fact, don't dry clean - it's a total waste), just make sure to dry on the "Delicate" cycle. Alternatively, you can hang dry. All articles will come with care labels, too - in case you forget!
Support this project
- (33 days)