In an ode to the country I have chosen to call home I have decided to bake 50 pies.
Each pie will represent one state and be inspired by the state fruit, state food, state pastry or something that I feel encompasses the state itself.
The timeline I have given myself for this project will be determined by how long my permanent US visa takes to process. (Hopefully sooner than later)
I will be gifting each pie to someone I know from the state the pie is based on. This is my version of working towards the American dream I've always dreamt for myself being an immigrant from another country. What better way to show love to the country I love the most than through warm flaky crusted baked goods.
I have completed 7 out of the 50 pies and would like a little help along the way with completing the final 43 and at the end of my pie journey I have dreams of compiling all the recipes, stories and images into a book.
From coast to coast and from sea to shining sea, America is the country I love the most!
This is my love letter to America!
Here is the breakdown so all is clear on where your hard earned money that you have chosen to donate to me will be spent!
What I will be using the funds for are the following:
• Baking supplies (flour, unsalted butter, etc.) Im only using the highest quality ingredients to produce a high quality project for the people I love. It's costing about $35-$40 a pie, more for a savory meat pie.
• Specialty ingredients for each state pie from local farmers. For example for the Colorado pie the bison in the pie was $40 since it was free range and organic from a local speciality meats supplier. (Roaming Acres - check em out they are awesome! Also they are in New Jersey. Currently as you read this there are bison in New Jersey!!!! Who knew?!)
• Paying my graphic designer for all the amazing hand done typography he is doing for me (logos, state names) they are a beaut! I want the aesthic of the project to stay consistent so that at the end of it, it can all be complied into a book. As a designer myself I want to make sure he is paid fairly and well for his hard, beautiful and time consuming work. It's $150 for each hand lettered state so $150 x 50. You get the picture!
• Maybe starting the possibility of shipping pies to people in different states. Pies that are able to be shipped to people in the corresponding states I would like to gift them too will go 2 day USPS Large Box Flat Rate Express. They actually make a flat rate box that fits a pie perfectly. 2 day shipping is usually around $18.00
• The Kickstarter fee. That 5% coming to get yah! Props for being such incredible hosts (hehe cause they are hosting the website)
• Getting all the reward swag made, personalized swag! (koozies, stickers, shirts, posters etc). Thank you Custom Ink!
Star Spangled vinyl stickers - Made right here in Brooklyn! "50 Pies" sticker color in your choice of Red, White or you guessed it Blue!
“50 pies” magnet - Rep your love of America and pie on your fridge
“50 pies” Koozies! - Keep your beer cold and your pie warm!
Mini Pie-broidery by Kirsten Geiger! - my kick ass co-worker who always reminds me to find my beach has stitched up these wonderful mini pie slices! Get yourself one of three mini slices to Cherry-ish forever. Right now the available flavors for this tiny slice are cherry, apple and *~mystery~*
Print of a Pie-llustration by Rachel Hauer - The amazing lady who is responsible for 80% of the tattoos on my body, my fellow Gucci fan girl and all round sweet sweet friend Rachel Hauer did this amazing pie-llustration now available as a reward in my Kickstarter!
Delaware "It's good to be first" Recipe print by Stephani Stilwell - The most lovely Stephani Stilwell who hails from Delaware did a most lovely illustration of my Delaware "It's good to be first" Recipe! Get em fast so you too can make your own 50 state pie for the first state in the United!
Pie Making Lesson (online)! - A little lesson on how to make a mixed berry pie with the help of an instructional video I'll put together.
“50 Pies” Ringer Tee! - I love ringer tees and there cool vibes! Enjoy wearing this "50 pies" ringer tee while eating a good slice of pie.
One of the 50 pies of your choice! - Your choice of any one of the "50 Pies' made especially for you! (Ice cream pies won't ship)
Hand painted pie tins by Brian Kaspr! - Brian who I have dubbed the king of swoops and loops is responsible for all the beautiful type you see on my state pie posts and for my 50 pies logo! Pick one of two pie-some statements to ring true!
"With Liberty and Pie for All" & "In Pie We Trust"
Two of the 50 pies of your choice! - Your choice of any two of the "50 Pies' made especially for you! (Ice cream pies won't ship)
Pie on your birthday! - A pie for you on your birthday in 2017/2018! Your choice of filling and your choice of pie design!
PIE OF THE MONTH CLUB! - Join a pie of the month club and I'll bake a pie for you one a month for a year! 12 pies in total! Pie flavors will be determined by whats in season. (no ice cream pies)
What are you using the $10,000 for?!
Risks and challenges
I have done everything in my power to eliminate all risks and challenges in this project by sourcing everything locally from stores around Brooklyn or from farmers markets around the tri-state area and creating relationships with them.
The main challenges I am facing are financing the project (butter is not cheap! haha) and sourcing certain specialty ingredients that can only be found in particular states.
I hope to complete this project sooner than later and with your help this will be a possibility.
Thank you for helping me make my dreams come true!
- (30 days)