2011 SF Olympians Festival: Heavenly Bodies is the world premiere of 31 original plays inspired by classical astronomy! Read more
This project was successfully funded on May 20, 2011.
About this project
In 2010, No Nude Men Productions, an independent theater confederacy based in the San Francisco Bay Area, produced the San Francisco Olympians Festival- a collection of twelve new plays inspired by the Olympian gods of ancient Greece. Fourteen writers, nine directors, ten artists and over seventy actors came together to create four weeks of exciting new theater staged at San Francisco's Exit Theater. They played to sold out houses, excellent reviews, and three of the plays have since gone on to full productions, establishing the festival not only as a nexus of local talent, but a launch pad for bigger and better things.
This year the festival continues exploring the world of Grecian deities but leaps off of Mount Olympus and into the universe of classical astronomy. SF Olympians: Heavenly Bodies will feature 31 original pieces by local writers, fantastic new art work from local fine artists, and will require the talents of over a hundred actors. A bigger, more ambitious festival means more opportunities for inspiring and cultivating local talent, as the roster contains both new writers getting to share their voice for the first time, in addition to established writers honing their craft.
Money raised helps us cover a variety of costs- from rent on the theater (we help keep the doors open at one of San Francisco's oldest cornerstones of the independent theater scene) to marketing materials (this year's proposed projects include picture books and stunning, full-color prints of our incredible posters) to the photo copies of the 31 scripts being composed even as you read this. Through the support of fans within the SF Bay Area and beyond, this unique and vital festival that brings so many different artists together can continue to grow.
For more information on the festival go to www.sfolympians.com.
THE 2011 SAN FRANCISCO OLYMPIANS FESTIVAL: HEAVENLY BODIES
Week One (Thursday, Friday, Saturday): STAR SPANGLED HEROES
October 6: HERACLES AND THE THINGS HE’S KILLED- Team Thunderbird (Bryce Allemann, Dana Constance, Kathy Hicks, Sang Kim, Kai Morrison)
October 7: HUNTER AND HUNTED Full Length: Orion by Meg Cohen Short: Canis Major by Claire Rice Short: Scorpio by Seanan Palmero
October 8: PERSEIAD SHOWER One-Act: Perseus by Bryce Duzan Short: Andromeda by Helen Noakes Short: Pegasus by Daniel Heath Short: Cetus by Kirk Shimano Short: Cassiopeia by Christian Simonsen
Week Two (Thursday, Friday, Saturday): LORDS OF LIGHT
October 13: Uranus by Evelyn Jean Pine
October 14: Chronus by Bennett Fisher
October 15: A DAY IN THE LIGHT OF… Full Length: Helios by Stuart Bousel Short: Eos by Kendra Arimoto Short: Nyx by David Duman
Week Three (Thursday, Friday, Saturday): FAMILY AFFAIRS
October 20: Gemini by Tom Darter
October 21: FALLING STARS One Act: Icarus by Jeremy Cole One Act: Phaethon by Ashley Cowan Short: Eosphosphorus by Sean Kelly Short: Boreas by Lise Catherine Miller Short: Zephyrus by Neil Higgins Short: Hesperus by Claire Rice
October 22: Pleiades by Marissa Skudlarek
Week Four (Thursday, Friday, Saturday): LADIES OF THE NIGHT
October 27: Selene by Nirmala Nataraj
October 28: ORBITING JUPITER Short: Metis by Maria Leigh Short: Io by Christian Simonsen Short: Europa by Claire Rice Short: Leda by Kirk Shimano Short: Callisto by Seanan Palmero Short: Ganymede by Neil Higgins Short: Elara by Alison Luterman Short: Himalia by Alison Luterman
October 29: Hecate by M.R. Fall
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $12 or more
- A special post on your Facebook wall and the event's Facebook wall.
Pledge $24 or more
- A special post on your wall and the event's wall AND your name in our program.
Pledge $48 or more
- A special post on your wall and the event's wall, your name in our program AND one original festival art print (of your choice).
Pledge $96 or more
- A special post on your wall and the event's wall, your name in our program AND three original festival art prints (of your choice).
Pledge $144 or more
- All that fun stuff above AND you get to sit in on a rehearsal PLUS free admission to 2 performances.
Pledge $288 or more
- All that awesomeness above PLUS you get to sit with the directors and writers at auditions and you get free admission to 4 performances.
Pledge $600 or more
- A full set of festival artwork (12 posters), free admission to 6 readings, AND everything we've already detailed above.
Pledge $1,200 or more
- All that great stuff we already promised you, PLUS we’ll have the writer of your choice write you a play exploring your Grecian Diety of choice from our list of 2012's possibles, the show will be automatically included in next year's line up and performed in next year's festival, AND we'll give you producer’s credit in the program for this year's festival, AND you'll get free admission to every night of the 2011 festival.
- (42 days)