D-TWELVE LAMP. A modular magnetic lighting system
Explore the infinite ways of using the first modular, versatile and customizable handmade LED lamp
What is D-TWELVE ?
As design lovers we know how difficult is to personalize what designers have drawn for our home. Many times we face the difficulty of finding something unique and precious at the same time. D-TWELVE is the revolutionary LED lighting system created to suit your changing needs thanks to its magnetic connections. Reshape D-TWELVE every time you need it and change D-TWELVE appearance every time you want.
Choose the number of modules, from one to seven, and join them together in endless combinations. Direct the light where you want just rotating the modules with your hands. Shape D-TWELVE in unlimited forms, dimensions, orientations, materials and colours, according to your needs and taste: use a single or double lamp to brighten a table or build an amazing lighsculpture with seven modules!
D-TWELVE is intended to be used in many ways: choose from the available add-ons and explore all the possible applications. Place D-TWELVE on the night table or fix it to the wall. Use more modules to brighten a room with a pendant lamp or create a chandelier for the living room.
To match your taste and your home style D-TWELVE is available in three different materials: beech wood, concrete and screen-printed fabric. Choose the one you like most or personalize your lamp mixing two or three materials together. Moreover you can choose from three textile cable colors: white, black and orange.
How does it work?
Each module is dodecahedron-shaped and has three magnetized sides that allow the connection between the modules and the passage of current from one to another. Thanks to this innovative solution just one of the modules needs to be connected to the power grid. The magnets' radial arrangement makes the modules snap-in rotatable so the light can be easily directed as one wishes. Indeed D-TWELVE is sized to perfectly fit in to one's hand and is completely safe to touch, due to the extra-low voltage current.
High energy efficiency and durability
With less than 5 watts per module D-TWELVE is a high energy efficient lamp and unlike many lamps on the market, the LED can be easily replaced just by opening the acrylic glass and unscrewing it (even if the estimated LED life is 50000 hours!). The light source used is a warm white (2700 k) high luminous flux LED Luxeon K, produced by Philips Lumiled. This is one of the most advanced LED due to its high lumen density (345 lumen) and its low energy consumption (less than 5 watts). When the lamp is turned on, the holes on the back ensure heat dissipation.
How is it made?
Top quality materials
We meticulously check the quality of our supplies to offer a reliable and durable product. D-TWELVE is manufactured with top quality materials:
- the wood we use is European Beech wood. After CNC cutting, it is assembled by hand and polished with a natural benzene-free hardwax-oil;
- the concrete cover is provided by a team of engineers experts on ultra-thin concrete furniture;
- the screen-printed fabric is designed by a textile design firm with more than ten years experience in fashion accessories production;
- all the metal components are powder-coated to ensure white finishing durability over time;
- the textile cables are supplied by a company with over thirty years of experience.
Transforming D-TWELVE in a wall lamp, a table lamp or a ceiling lamp is quick and easy. Just attach one of the add-ons to the lamp:
- WALL LAMP ADD-ON: a powder-coated steel plate.
- TABLE LAMP ADD-ON: a beech wood handmade tripod;
- CEILING LAMP ADD-ON: a self-balancing suspension system made of stainless steel wires and powder coated steel parts;
Basic-TWELVE (NEW REWARD!)
Basic-TWELVE is a handmade concrete lamp shade we created for our (basic) supporters! It is designed for standard-sized E14 (SES) lamp holders and it is compatible with D-TWELVE table lamp and wall lamp add-on thanks to one magnetized side.
How can you help us?
- Back our kickstarter campaign
- Share D-TWELVE project
- Follow Plato Design on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Linkedin
- Stretch goal #1: € 30000 = one additional textile pattern available!
- Stretch goal #2: € 40000 = two more cable colors!
- Dimensions: approx. 5'' x 5'' (13 x 13 cm)
- Cover materials: wood (beechwood), screen-printed fabric or concrete
- Lamp core material: powder-coated metal
- Magnets: super strong neodymium magnets
- Light source: Luxeon K LED - approx. 4,5 w; brightness: 345 lm; light color temperature: 2700 K (warm white)
- Cables: white, black or orange textile
- Weight: wood 0.8 lb (350 g) / fabric 0.9 lb (400 g) / concrete 1.2 lb (550 g)
- Power supply: LED Power Supply 36W 12V 3A
Production and delivery schedule
We’ll ship in July 2016.
- December 2015: Kickstarter campaign
- January 2016: Kickstarter campaign
- February 2016: final product refinement
- March 2016: final product testing
- April 2016: purchase of materials and components
- May 2016: production
- June 2016: production
- July 2016: packing and shipping
International backers will be responsible for applicable tariffs and customs fees.
Who we are
Special thanks to:
Risks and challenges
D-TWELVE lamp was conceived two years ago. Since then, we have patented the design, developed many working prototypes and established a network of suppliers and consultants, well-known companies mainly located in central Italy. With them we developed technical aspects such as the optimization of the metal core and the study of suitable materials like the ultra-thin concrete and the geometric printed fabric.
Now we need your help to begin a medium-scale production. We just need the funding for tooling and minimum order quantities.
This is our first kickstarter campaign and we really want to be fair. We promise to be transparent and to keep our backers updated on any potential delays.
- (60 days)