In Apocalypse Frenzy (2-4 players, 30-60 min.), aliens have come to destroy the world in a humorous way! Let cats take over the Earth for example, or cover the planet with lava. Players have a secret alignment card that determines whether they want to destroy the world or protect the world from destroyers. Complete missions and play cards to earn points, but beware: both the missions and the card values depend on your alignment.
Each player plays one of four unique characters, each with their own special abilities and even their own cards. If you don't have the cards you need, you can trade, but remember: lying about the cards you want to trade is allowed...
Here are some features of the game:
- Cats! Hipster aliens! And cartoon style images to fit the style of the game, by webcomic illustrator Sion Oppeneer.
- A healthy mix of clichés and originality to add to the hilarious storyline.
- Four unique characters, each with 2 possible alignments, for a unique game experience each time you play.
- Card values that depend on the player's alignment, for an interesting deduction mechanic.
- A free form trading mechanic, where you are allowed to reveal or hold back any information you want, and even bluff by giving false information, making it possible to use your own play style.
- Puzzle pieces on cards so you can see the progress of players trying to destroy the world. Complete the puzzle to destroy the world!
1. Take a role card (open) and an alignment card (secret).
2. Play Frenzy cards (one per turn) to complete the mission determined by your role and alignment, and to gain points for the end of the game. You can trade with other players to get the cards you need, but you can never trust them!
3. When a mission is completed, add all points you have earned by playing Frenzy cards and by completing your mission(s). If you have the most points, you win!
If you want to know more about the gameplay, check out the RULEBOOK. Or watch the video below (Dutch subtitles available).
Each character has two possible alignments: one where they want to protect the Earth, and one where they want to destroy it. Read more
"The cartoon style of the art on the cards is great and i like the end of the world theme. Don't tell mom i said that." -- Tyler, Dad mostly loses
"The secret missions - this little bluff component - is always nice to have. (...) The trading with players is really fun, because you can lie." -- Leo Falcon Millennium & Alberto Resti, I teach her she wins
"The one thing that I found most interesting about Apocalypse Frenzy is the idea that the game takes a traditional card game where you try to get the most points and adds in roles and allegiances. I haven't seen a lot of games that have combined both types of mechanics." -- Adam Mortensen, Geekyhobbies
(NL) "Al met al is Apocalypse Frenzy een leuk en vlot kaartspel geworden met een hoog ‘take that’ gehalte. Heerlijk om de avond even mee af te sluiten." -- Wesley, Ameritrash
Shipping to the US is included. Add 4€ for shipping to the Netherlands, 7€ for the rest of the EU, 13€ for Canada and 20€ for the rest of the world. To reduce the shipping costs, consider the pledge level with 4 copies (contact me to get in touch with others in your country to save on shipping).
Laurens Bliek is a PhD candidate at Delft University of Technology who designs games in his spare time. Having designed a video game and several forum games in the past, this card game will be a new adventure.
Special thanks go to the illustrator Sion Oppeneer (creator of the webcomic G-lec), to Wietske Bliek who inspired the story behind this game, and to all the playtesters who helped make this game great by their feedback.
Risks and challenges
All artwork for the game is finished, the game has been tested and is ready for printing. Although this is my first project, I have done extensive research on Kickstarter projects. Still, because reading about crowd-funding is different than actually doing it, unexpected events may happen. These events will be minimized by using a manufacturer with extensive experience in small print runs for Kickstarter campaigns, also allowing the funding goal to be lower. Getting the game made and getting it to you is the main goal. Should anything happen (besides an actual Apocalypse) then I will do everything I can to reach that goal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)