by Henrique Olifiers
I've always had a love of homebrew and older computer systems. I grew up around Amiga machines and the Apple I/II. I never got to experience the ZX Spectrum, which is why I initially backed this project. I'm looking forward to experiencing this product after having read about all of the careful and subtle changes have gone into its final form. I think the wait will be worth it. Thank you.
@Luis Alberto Marcos Peón wrote "If the deadline is after a brexit application in UK, what about backers of the rest european countries? What about a price increment by export custom duties or ship costs in that situation?"
Luis, I'm glad to tell you that Brexit has been postponed until after the ZX Spectrum Next is shipping, in order to keep custom duties down. :D
I've waited 35-ish years to update my ZX Spectrum, so another couple of months won't kill me. ;-)
Thanks as always for keeping the community in the loop with where things are at (even if not the news people want to hear). Roll on June, I say...
Normunds - Producing final production samples using the actual manufacturing process ahead of starting full production is completely normal. I suspect they probably know more about this process than you.
"..two new keyboards were shipped to us and validated on all these fixes, they were also hand-assembled rather than produced by the automated assembly line as the final product will be."
I'm wondering a little bit about you! Do you realise how much costs starting /stopping factory production line?!!! And you are expecting them to start production line just for a couple of keyboards?!!!
Thank you for the update. I recently read about a high ratio of failures on Kickstarter in regards to hardware projects. I can only imagine how hard and time consuming it must be to deal with various hardware component producers, coordinating development of a case, not to mention the actual hardware development and production. I mean my friends were telling me to prepare for a possibility of never seeing an actual product. I really appreciate the fact that Spectrum Next got this far. I'd say that at this point it is pretty much almost finished. A few weeks here or there makes little difference. I wish that people, who are complaining about the timeline and delays, shared their own hardware development success stories with us.
Appreciate the honest update, looking forward to receiving my Next in June.
Sorry, but this is very disappointing. I backed this in April 2017 with the expected ship date of January 2018. I've never made a comment on here, but this update has compelled me to make one.
While I understand there can be delays, from the updates it seems that most of the minor tweaks or improvements to the case or keyboard that has been suggested since last year has had an unforeseen affect on the release date.
Take last month's update. Four minor improvements suggested, with the keyboard ready to be mass manufactured. This update is now saying those updates have caused the keyboard manufacturer to send over a hand made sample, which is understandable because they're not going to mass manufacture a keyboard after further design changes.
The update in December stated "Q2 at the latest" for the Next to be in the hands of the backers with a possibility of "earlier than Q2", yet here we are in Q2 and the keyboard still hasn't been finalised for mass production. The cases haven't been manufactured. Was "earlier than Q2" ever a realistic deadline?
As far as I can see, to hit the Q2 deadline there is around 12 weeks to manufacture the keyboards and cases, ship them to the UK, hand assemble, print the manual and ship to the backers. Is there further testing scheduled in those 12 weeks? Are the keyboards and cases to be shipped by air freight or ship to save costs? What are the risks to not hitting that Q2 deadline?
It would be good to give a clear, broken down timeline for deliverables so the backers can have a better understanding of you realistically hitting the Q2 deadline (already delayed by 18 months), instead of another "unforeseen" delay or milestone to be missed.
Also, PLEASE stop tinkering with the keyboard and case designs, Rick Dickinson designed the case, leave it as he designed it instead of making design changes like making the case screws more suitable for opening/closing the case (not part of the original design spec, but how much did that change impact on the release date?)
And please can we get update on the committed stretch goal games; Nodes of Yesod, Rex Next, the new Dizzy. Nothing has been communicated on those for months.
Please guys, while it's fantastic to get updates and they are appreciated, can you try to stick to a deadline, communicate the milestones still to be completed to hit that deadline and PLEASE no more tweaks or improvements to the hardware - unless you clearly understand the implications to the release date and communicate that to the backers, who have paid to get a Next in their hands, they deserve to have confidence when that's going to happen.
Good luck with the next 12 weeks and I can't wait to get the Next.
Thanks for your sincerity. All my support and confidence in your decisions.
Thanks for letting us know, and Thanks for dealing with all this hassle for us, Roll On Production!!
Thanks for the update... Keep up the good work!
Sjasmplus is only assembler, no editor included (but asm syntax-highlight rules for Kate editor are available in the "ZXSpectrumNextTests" project on github).
And binaries are available only for windows, mac/linux users are expected to build from sources (both GNU make and CMake methods are supported).
Still very happy with the great comms - and still happy to wait for the finished article, as it's going to be stunning!
A lot of experience gained that will help when you launch the Next +2 🙂🤪. Thanks for the honest update, looking forward to the finished Next
Almost all projects suffer unexpected setbacks. I'm happy to wait until the product is ready.
Thanks for the update and the opportunity to own a ZX Spectrum Next!
Good and honest update, you don't try to hide the problems you are facing
The wait will be worth it in the long run
Still behind you 100%
Hi all, Next Team specially
If the deadline is after a brexit application in UK, what about backers of the rest european countries? What about a price increment by export custom duties or ship costs in that situation?
Gutted, my birthday is first week of June. Doubt it's arriving for then. Ah well, 2 years and waiting...
Not ideal but still plenty of positives there.
As down heartening as it is no one should be beating themselves up.
Keep up the nagging 😉
Thank you for the update.
All is good.