About the creators:
Duncan Abbot and Pauline Ceraulo met in high school in NYC and are both avid gamers. Spending much of their time together playing some sort of video or board game, they have now decided to create one themselves.
Duncan is current student at the University of Michigan, majoring in Electrical Engineering. Having always been an avid player of both video and board games, Duncan is now expanding his interest in gaming to game design.
Pauline is a current student at New York University, majoring in Computer Science. Always interested in games, both digital and physical, her interest expanded into an actual pursuit of creating games in her freshman computer science class when she began applying what she learned towards game design.
Made entirely of wood and designed to be self-contained, Tabula is its own box. The game closes in on itself to become an sleek tabula, "tablet" in Latin. The name Tabula also comes from "Tabula Rasa", meaning "blank slate" - the board starts as a blank slate that then becomes filled with the tiles.
Tabula is a a casual turn-based strategy game for two players in which the objective is to occupy the most spaces of the board. In this game, each player has access to four different type of special tiles that have unique abilities: Attack, Defense, Expansion, Jump. The game-play consists of playing either 1 special tile or two regular tiles (that have no abilities). The game ends when all the spaces of the board have been filled. Whoever has placed the most tiles is the winner!
Not only is this game a source of tremendous fun, but also is a beautiful aesthetic addition to the home.
Gameplay: In this game, players take turns placing different types of tiles on the board until the board is completely full. Each turn, a player can play two regular tiles or one special tile. Each tile must be adjacent to a previously placed tile. Each player must place his/her first tile in his/her respective corner. A jump tile may not be played the first turn.
After all the board spaces have been filled, the player with the most tiles on the board wins! There are 61 spaces to be filled total.
Regular tiles have no ability other than to occupy an empty board space.
- ATTACK: when placed, this tile removes all adjacent tiles of the opponent unless any of these tiles are adjacent to an opponent’s defense tile or are a jump tile. Additionally, this effect occurs at the end of every turn. If an attack tile is placed adjacent to an opponent’s attack tile, the opponent’s attack tile will be removed. If either of the attack tiles is touching a defense tile, whichever attack tile is undefended will be removed at the end of the turn. If both are defended, neither attack tile will be removed. If a special tile is removed by an attack tile, then that the special tile will be out of play permanently for the rest of the game.
- DEFENSE: after being placed, any friendly tiles adjacent to the defense tile, as well as the defense tile itself, cannot be removed by any means.
- EXPAND: at the beginning of every turn of the player who played this tile, this player can place an additional regular tile in an empty space adjacent to this expansion tile. This effect ends once all the adjacent spaces next to this expansion tiles are filled. If an expansion tile would add an additional regular tile next to an opponent’s attack tile, this regular tile will not be added into that board space. The player will then continue with his/her turn.
- JUMP: when placed, this tile does not have to be adjacent to any of the player’s previously placed tiles. In subsequent turns, other tiles of this player may be placed next to this tile. It cannot be removed by any means.
We've changed our locks!! Goodbye brass! Check out our updates section for a demonstration of how they work.
- Thank You: A heartfelt thank-you email with a Tabula-inspired digital graphic design attached.
- Logo: A wooden square with our logo engraved on it as well as a heartfelt thank-you email with the digital graphic design attached.
Print-&-Play: Your own printable version of Tabula! The PDF of the board will be sent to you in our heartfelt thank-you email (that includes the digital graphic) and the phyisical tiles will be separately mailed to you.
- Tabletop: This version of Tabula is a tabletop centerpiece that does not include the folding top.You will also receive our heartfelt thank-you email (includes digital graphic).
Early Release/Christmas Release: The full version of Tabula and our special thank-you email with the digital graphic will be sent to you. The early release will be sent out by the end of August and the Christmas release will be sent during the Christmas season
Personal: This special version of Tabula comes with your name engraved on it. Our heartfelt thank-you email with the digital graphic will also be emailed to you.
- Customized: This version of Tabula is customized by you! We will work with you to create a unique version of Tabula, exclusive to you. The custom engraving will be on the tiles as well as the inside and outside surfaces of the board. Our heartfelt thank-you email with the digital graphic will also be emailed to you.
- Most Valued Supporter: This is our ultimate Kickstarter reward. You will receive the Customized reward level as well as a limited edition acrylic version whose tiles colors will chosen by you! We will also spend a day with you in New York City, showing you our workshop as well as taking you out to dinner! (you have to pay for your travel to New York City but we will cover your transportation costs and meals while you are with us that day). You will also receive a limited edition thank-you graphic in a heartfelt thank-you email as well as a special dedication in every copy of Tabula!
Thanks for all your support!
Risks and challenges
For the production of Tabula, we have decided on the laser cutter that we intend to purchase as well as our supplier of hardwood and brass components. Although we have thoroughly researched this laser cutter, we will still be unfamiliar with the device. Therefore the installation and testing of the machine could result in possible delays in Tabula's production. We will keep you updated with any changes in our production schedule as the Kickstarter progresses, but we will do our very best to stay on track and get all of you your Tabulas on time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)