Wahoo! 488 pages and two years of blood, sweat, tears, chocolate, tortilla chip crumbles and smears of hummus. But I did it! I birthed this. And, at the same time, this book and the writing process birthed the new me, Stefani Bulsara, and a new genre, Gitchie Gitchie Ya Ya Dadaism, a campy, musical, meme-filled take on the absurdist, anti-bourgeois (anti-boujee) art movement.
Humanity is dead.
Long live humanity!
Come follow a mysterious, glitchy narrator who races through the universe, tasked with warning any sentient species about the downfall of humans. Our narrator deconstructs humanity and constructs a history of how the forces of climate change and automation led to their extinction. But our narrator will never be able to catch up with humanity's first interstellar messages, radio waves, which have leaked from Earth for more than a hundred years, traveling at the speed of light to perplex any alien race with humanity's most profound philosophical musings such as “Who let the dogs out?” and “What does the fox say?”
Read a sample chapter:
- Welcome to the End of Humanity!
- Track 1: Across the Universe
- Track 5: Can't Hold Us
- Track 9: We Built This City (On Rock & Roll)
There are over 100 copies circulating the planet and 30 people have read and loved the book!
I know you'll love it too!
Physical books are one of my favorite technologies that humans have ever created. How I adore sitting in a quite place and pouring myself into a paper book for hours, allowing my imagination to bring these words to life. What a dream!
Along with creating paper books, I'm exploring how I can deepen the reader's experience with the book and how I can create conversations around the ideas the book explores and the trends that it names. Below are a few examples.
I coded a website for the novel! Check it out here at www.radiogagamixtape.com.
I hid 2,300 easter eggs in the book. These are allusions to songs, pop culture moments, movies, musicals, political events, news articles, scientific studies and memes. I built the site using the Genius.com annotation software. This allows readers to quickly see a hidden message highlighted, click on that text and see this reference slide in from the side.
Learn how below:
People don't often carry a book with them, but most carry their phones which are capable of playing music, podcasts and audio books.
I've recorded five of the chapters for an audio book and, with your funding, will finish recording the entire book in the coming months.
Enjoy a sneak peak on my sound cloud: https://soundcloud.com/stefanibulsara
YouTube and Spotify Playlists:
Since each chapter of the book is a song, I've created YouTube and Spotify playlists of the tracks in the book to deepen the reader's experience.
Enjoy them here:
As Janet Jackson said, Control!
I want to protect my art from funding the festering sores that threaten to swallow the publishing industry.
First off, its absolutely ridiculous that people who don't read books are paid ludicrous amounts of money to write books, which they don't actually write, and then put their surgically-altered faces on the covers to sell to people who don't read these books but decorate their homes with them.
Secondly, the publishing world also gives large amounts of money and grants legitimacy to some of the most inflammatory, racist and sexist individuals.
The dystopian future in my book concerns rising income inequality and climate change. My distribution plan attempts to combat these in my own minuscule way. I want the control to make and distribute my book in a more environmentally-friendly and equitable way.
- I will ensure that supplies used for the paper books are recycled.
- I will calculate the average carbon footprint for the production and shipping of each book and I will pay to offset these carbon emissions.
When selling the book, I want to ensure that any pittance of a profit is shared more equitably.
- I will not sell through Amazon, other such sites or through large retail bookstores like Barnes & Noble.
- I will sell through independent bookstores, LGBTQ bookstores and my website.
- There are 2,200 independent bookstores in the US and this number has grown by 35% in the last decade.
- These thriving stores are wonderful hubs for their communities and ensure that profits made remain in these local communities.
I've secured one independent store to sell my book and host a launch party.
Once this kickstarter is complete, I will reach out to other indie stores around the country. My plan is to go on a 20 city book tour in 2019 and offer to do readings at many of these indie stores.
My origin story:
I am the bags of fat burned off during liposuction. I am the clumps of hair that fall out when bleached and straightened with chemicals. I am the excess cartilage ripped out during nose jobs. I am the puss-filled infections that grow around butt injections. I am the raw nerves that are scraped by veneers. I am the gnarled toes and bunions brought on by years of wearing high-heels. When you see a meteor shoot across the sky, I am the chunks of rock that plummet to earth.
I am Stefani Bulsara!
This book created Stefani Bulsara. But what does she do?
- She's the fizzle with the pop.
- She's the black hole lurking beneath every star, ready to suck up all that hot air.
- She's Jonathan Swift cannibalizing a baby Taylor Swift.
Enjoy these educational, entertaining and silly examples of Gitchie Gitchie Ya Ya Dadaism that I've created:
Diana Ross reminds us about the horrors of nuclear weapons through her hit, "Chain Reaction"
Cardi B and RuPaul explain gravitational waves and how our universe jiggles:
Stefani uses history to bring a critical eye to modern technologies and trends:
Meditate on the glorious places we are losing to climate change with these travel posters:
Enjoy dozens more content like this by following my:
- You'll just LOVE Radio Ga Ga: A Mixtape for End of Humanity... PROMISE!
- Support art that dares go outside capitalism as usual
- Support the creation of a new, entertaining and educational voice & the creation of this new genre, Gitchie Gitchie Ya Ya Dadaism
- Your donations will help me share the book with libraries, community book exchanges, sexual health clinics, prisons and retirement communities around the country.
- AND DUH, CHECK OUT THE FABULOUS REWARDS! I make a mean tofu stir-fry and I am a great bedtime story reader.
Byeeeeee! Thanks for reading this far!
Risks and challenges
The book has gone through three rounds of editing. I will go through a final round of editing before I'm ready to print copies of the book to fulfill this kickstarter's rewards. This should take less than two months, but I'll keep you all updated.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)