THE PROJECT :
“Tower of the Black Sorcerers” is the first project of Dungeoneers Guild Games' DUNGEON DELVES adventure modules. This game adventure is designed specifically for the first edition of the original and everyone’s favorite fantasy role-playing game. It can easily be adapted to most fantasy role-playing games including the advanced 2nd edition game, the original game, the BECMI (“Basic”) game, and most old-school renaissance (OSR) role-playing systems or other game systems.
The module consists of 24 pages of high adventure, sorcery, and mystery with minimal plot that allows it to fit easily into any campaign world. It is designed to have the look and feel of the classic Dungeons & Dragons modules of the early and mid-1980s. The module’s origins come from an adventure I wrote for my current AD&D campaign that has been running for the last 15 years. The evil wizards and their minions proved to be quite a challenge for my players.
“Tower of the Black Sorcerers” will be available in print and PDF versions. The print version has a classic module format with stapled booklet and cardstock cover. Maps are printed in dungeon blue on the inside the cover for that genuine old school gaming feel. Creating a module that consists of quality production, artwork, and printing that is also great to play is the ultimate goal of this project. If the first proof from the printer is any indication, that goal has been achieved.
As of this moment, all editing, layout, and artwork for the “Tower of the Black Sorcerers” are fully completed. All that is left is to have the physical copies printed. I have a professional, quality printer selected and ready to go.
The black sorcerers have dwelled within their baleful tower for hundreds of years. Now something evil stirs in the town of Bal-Curz — strange happenings of malefic magics and persons disappearing in the night. The fearful townsfolk whisper that its source stems from the Black Tower. Possibly a few bold heroes could Investigate the tower to uncover its secrets and put an end to this unseen terror?
"Tower of the Black Sorcerers" is an adventure for 5 to 7 characters of intermediate levels 5 to 8. In this module, the adventurers will explore a tower inhabited by a cabal of sorcerers. Set in a town, the DM can easily place this tower in an urban location in any fantasy role-playing game world they prefer.
All the art featured in this module are original works by Bradley K. McDevitt, Ryan Jack Allred, Matthew Ray, and Russ Nicholson (of Fiend Folio fame). Interior art pieces are inked in the old school style. Bradley K. McDevitt created the gorgeous cover art depicting one of the pernicious sorcerers defending his tower from marauding adventurers.
- 24 page saddle-stitched booklet printed in black-and-white.
- Removable cardstock cover printed in color.
- A cut-away map of the tower, a map of the tower levels, and a dungeon map printed in classic dungeon blue in the inside cover.
- 27 numbered encounters, adventure background for the DM, scenario hook suggestions, and a rumors table.
- Four new monsters: the balweeg, corodaemon, lammikin, and werepanther.
ABOUT THE MODULE DESIGNER:
My name is R. Nelson Bailey. My start with role-playing games began with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in 1983 and has never stopped. For the last 15 years I have run a weekly AD&D game with a group of dedicated players. As with many kids of the day, it was my dream to have TSR publish one of my modules. Now I am doing that with my own Dungeoneers Guild Games. “Tower of the Black Sorcerers” is the first in a line of classic-style adventure modules. The next project titled “The Dungeon of the Dread Wyrm” is fully written and will be released once the layout and artwork is finished. Watch for the Kickstarter for that one in the next few months.
- Design, Development, Layout, & Cartography: R. Nelson Bailey.
- Editing: R. Nelson Bailey, Rob Hand, Greg Earle.
- Cover Art: Bradley K. McDevitt. (Take a look at his extensive art portfolio here.)
- Interior Art: Ryan Jack Allred, Bradley K. McDevitt, Russ Nicholson, Matthew Ray.
- Module Photographs: Rhiannon Brunett.
- Playtesters: Joe Brewer, Greg Earle, Rob Hand, Andrew Kennedy, Jerry Severns, Dan Shoemaker.
- Special Thanks To: Mark Taormino for his invaluable assistance with this project. Visit his website, Maximum Mayhem Dungeons, to learn about his excellent old-school gaming products.
Music: "A Brightly Burning Fire" by Art of Escapism (2017).
Risks and challenges
RISKS AND CHALLENGES:
Since editing, layout, and artwork for the “Tower of the Black Sorcerers” are fully complete this project will be ready to print once the Kickstarter is complete.
WHAT DOES THE KICKSTARTER MONEY PAY FOR:
Printing of the physical full color cover and B/W interior booklets.
Creation, production, layout, and design of the module.
Artwork for the module.
Shipping and handling for the print version.
- (30 days)