Introducing Eden. We make cold-pressed juices from imperfectly shaped fruits and vegetables. Yes, the misfits. While they may appear flawed on the surface, they provide the exact same taste and health benefits as perfectly shaped fruit.
The Perfectionist Culture
In America, we throw away close to 40% of the food that we grow, in large part because it doesn’t meet our cosmetic standards. That’s over 30 million tons a year. Clearly, an apple that tastes great and has high nutritional value isn’t worth eating if it looks a little weird, am I right? Probably not. If our food doesn’t look perfect, it doesn’t even make it to store shelves.
This is a problem of gastronomical proportions! (see what we did there?)
To celebrate what makes us different and to put these imperfectly shaped fruits and veggies to better use than the landfill, we are making clean and healthy cold-pressed juices.
Meet Eden. Grown from the belief that our diversity and imperfections aren’t flaws to be corrected but traits to be celebrated, we make cold-pressed juices from imperfectly shaped fruits and vegetables. Why imperfect fruits and vegetables? Because despite how they look, they provide the exact same health benefits as perfectly shaped fruits.
The Juice - Naturally Different
Our juices are naturally different. Each one of our juices is:
- Diverse. Eden juices are made from imperfectly shaped fruits and vegetables.
- Sustainable. Eden juices are made from fruits and vegetables that would otherwise be thrown away because they don’t meet our purely cosmetic standards. So we're reducing food waste, all the while educating people about what is really important when it comes to food: nutrition.
- Clean and Nutritious. Our juices are cold-pressed, meaning that our fresh produce retains its naturally high nutrient content even after being juiced. It is immediately bottled and put through a process that applies extremely high pressure, ensuring that the juice can stay fresh and nutritious for up to two months. This high-pressure processing (HPP) is done instead of the traditional method of flavor-reducing, nutrient-neutralizing heat pasteurization. Your juice stays cold throughout the entire process.
No additives. All natural. Naturally different.
After multiple rounds of experimenting, taste-testing, and reformulating, we are happy to present our first 5 delicious and healthy flavors:
- Citrus: a carrot and orange blend with granny smith apple and a hint of lemon
- Green: our dark green juice with apple, spinach, kale, cucumber, parsley, ginger, and lemon
- Fresh: a lighter green juice that is slightly sweet and includes red and granny smith apple, cucumber, spinach, celery, and fennel with a hint of lemon
- Seed: a cucumber mint lemonade with chia seeds
- Root: a sweet beet juice with red and granny smith apple, carrot, fennel, and lemon
Where We Are Now
We’ve come a long way from the small apartment kitchen where the juicing all started. We now use a small cold-pressed juice manufacturer and HPP provider to produce our juices. We’ve lined up produce suppliers and farmers to source our differently shaped produce and have ensured that we meet or exceed all food safety standards.
We’re teed up to launch, but we need your help to ramp up scale to turn this idea into reality. The funds from this Kickstarter will be used to begin production at a larger scale, allowing us to produce in a more cost efficient manner and make Eden Juice available to everyone.
We’re ready to celebrate what makes us different. So please, join us in backing our campaign and #drinkeden.
- Mon, April 20: Kickstarter Launch!
- Wed, April 22: Earth day—celebrate it!
- Wed, May 20: Campaign ends
- Wed, May 27: Move into larger kitchen
- Mon, June 1: Begin larger-scale production
- Mon, June 15 (approx.): First official shipment sent out!
Risks and challenges
The biggest potential challenge we face is in organizing our supply chain, which includes sourcing the produce, manufacturing our juice, and shipping it cold and fresh to your door. To address this, we’ve already set up our sourcing with a produce supplier that has direct relationships with farmers, ensuring that we'll have fresh produce to use in our juice. We’ve also teamed up with a manufacturer that handles juicing, bottling, and high-pressure processing, as well as cold storage and shipping, so your juice doesn’t get handled any more than it needs to. Our cold shipping will be handled via a major logistics company. Aside from that, all of our juices are tested and exceed FDA health and quality standards. We’re working with a consultant to obtain FDA testing on every new flavor we add, so you never have to worry about the total quality of our product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)