About this project
This project started out as something we made in the shop for ourselves. We use touch screen monitors and tablets, but often have to write and design on paper at the same time, and were dissatisfied with the choices available. For us, this project was born out of necessity. We needed something that could stand up to our harsh workshop environment, but it also needed to be something that we would be proud to put our name on. Four months and over a dozen revisions later we have the SPC, and we couldn’t be happier.
Whats in a Stylus...
Gone are the days of the disposable stylus. But, no matter how you try, there is one thing that will wear out, the capacitive silicone nib. We designed our stylus to last a lifetime, but eventually you'll have to replace the nib, so why not make it the easiest nib to replace? Chris holds the record at 2 seconds, with Jeff coming in at just over 3:)
Both the stylus and the pen are built from a single bar of solid metal. Our stylus starts out as a 1/2" solid bar, the back end is bored out to a depth of over 4 1/2". It's then honed to fit our custom pen, and hold it inside with vacuum pressure. There's only one piece, it's a seamless, simple, strong design.
Redefining what it means to be refill friendly
We've also totally redesigned what it means to be a universal pen. Our patent pending design eliminates the need for any tension springs, or adjustment screws on the back allowing for a completely smooth body.
By embedding the threads inside the body and starting them 6mm in, we have eliminated the need to have any adjustment screws on the back, or tension springs inside. There's only two pieces, the tip and the body.
Changing refills couldn't be easier, unscrew the tip, old refill comes out, put the new refill in and screw the tip back in.
Refills confirmed working
So far we've successfully tested 33 different refills and we're constantly working to update this list. Have one that's not on the list? send us a message and we'll do our best to find and try it.
- Bic Triumph 537Rt / Gel NPE 07
- Bic Velocity Gel
- Cross Gel Rolling Ball
- Cross Porous Point
- Foray (Office Depot Brand)
- Mont Blanc 163 Rollerball
- Mont Blanc Fineliner
- Monteverde Rollerball
- Papermate Gel
- Pentel Energel
- Pentel HyperG Retractable
- Pentel OH! Gel .07 KFR7
- Pilot Frixion
- Pilot G2
- Pilot G2 Pro
- Pilot G6
- Pilot Hi-Tec-C-Cavalier
- pilot Precise V5 Rt/V7 Rt
- Pilot Q7
- Pilot V Ball Rt
- Staples Classic Grip Pen
- Staples Strata
- Tul Rollerball
- Uniball Impact rt
- Uniball Jetstream
- Uniball Signo
- Uniball Signo 207 Gel
- Uniball Signo Gel Rt
- Uniball Signo Rt Gel
- Visconti Rolling Ceramic
- Waterman Rollerball
- Zebra JF Gel
- Zebra Sarasa
We are producing The SPC out of Stainless Steel, and 6061 T-6 Aluminum, both of which are domestically sourced.
Stainless Steel is available in a brushed finish
Aluminum is anodized and available in the following colors:
- Grey / Clear (our favorite, the one in the picture below on the right)
We prefer to use the type III hard anodize because it creates a tougher surface area, less prone to scratches, nicks, etc. But by doing this the color may vary as type III tends to come out darker than standard anodizing.
Custom made Maple box
Each SPC comes with a maple hardwood gift box, designed and produced by us.All the wood we use is FSC Certified as being sustainably harvested in the USA. Our Integ logo is milled on the top of the box, however if you would prefer your name, a friends name, or a company name, we will be more than happy to personalize it for you. It would make an excellent gift for the upcoming holiday season.
Why use American metals? Does it matter?
- We believe it does. The standards on quality of American produced items, especially raw materials, are high. Most metals are alloys, or a blend of different metals mixed together to achieve a certain ratio, we use a 304 Stainless Steel, and a 6061 T-6 Aluminum. It's a very precise ratio, that if wrong, can affect the performance of the metal.
- Every dollar we spend on raw materials stays within the USA, and helps support our economy.
- Like many other Kickstarters, we started with an idea for a product to make our own lives easier and realized there may be a spot in the market for what we'd made. Starting from the ground up as a family run business we don't have the same resources as the big companies out there. We are confident in the quality and the need for something like our SPC and think Kickstarter is the perfect place to launch it.
Where will the money go?
- We build everything in house, from the pen to the stylus to the maple box. We specialize in manufacturing cnc machines, so the funds that we get from this kickstarter, aside from the raw material costs will be spent on tooling up for production. The precision and depth of the bore in the stylus require special tools, the majority of which we are making ourselves. Specifically a series of cnc lathes all custom built by us for the production of The SPC.
What will The SPC be sold for after Kickstarter?
- Once all of the rewards have been shipped we plan on continuing production, with a targeted MSRP of $99 plus shipping.
Who are we?
- We (Jeff and Chris Scheibe) are brothers who came together to build and design innovative products. Jeff served in the Marine Corps for 8.5yrs, and as a combat vet, brings a unique sense of style and determination to go all American. Chris is a machinist by trade and is highly detailed when it comes to precision and and accuracy.
Thank you so much for your support! ~Jeff & Chris
Extra unedited videos showing the vacuum seal:
Spinning the pen inside the stylus body, we call it "air bearing" we know, real original name...:)
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (60 days)